[App] EmiGens emulator.

Eke

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
I am the developper of Genesis Plus GX (genplus-gx - An enhanced port of Genesis Plus on Gamecube/Wii - Google Project Hosting) of which this emulator is a port.
The license of our sourcecode clearly specifies that:

1) sourcecode of modified work MUST be published so that anyone can benefit of it and recompile it fot its own needs, with NO restriction

2) usage of our sourcecode MUST NOT be used in any commercial activity, which include payware apps on mobile stores, "adware" or "free trial" versions

I registered here to ask you to respect our terms, which means pulling of the payware version of any stores and add a link to your modified sourcecode in the emulator description page.

Thank you for respecting our work, for which we never ask any money in return.

Eke

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
I am not a cop :-(
Just a developper who spent some years working on an emulator and improved it constantly, without ever asking anything in return and now feels quite unmotivated and angry to see people doing a business of quick emulator ports on mobile apps markets, just because it was specifically made easily portable.

Those apps are basically 95% my code (and other people's) and the license is there for good reasons:

1) to try to prevent people from making money out of it because it is unfair for the people who originally wrote this code and never got or asked anything in return : when people starts disrespecting this and simply take the opportunity to make easy money out of it because they know emulators (and roms obviously) are popular, it's litteraly a spit in our faces and at least discourage me from working on this anymore.

2) to keep the sourcecode and its technical information value available to anyone, for modification, improvement or simply ports to future platforms, with respect to the initial goals of the project and its original authors: when people stops sharing or hides the sourcecode of their ports, it prevents others from doing the same in the future, it's also not giving back what was given to you in the first place

Last edited:

Andre o Botelho

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm neither a opportunist not making money with others work, if you want to know something about me go to my blog. I began developing ports when no one wanted to make to my SmartPhone(Symbian) and put then on store to support development (Smartphones are not free, neither for developers).

Andre o Botelho

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Its disappeared from Russian market now... Why? Just want to check translation
It is hidden on the market now waiting for certification as a free app, this week update delayed due to Eke's requests(lots of email talk on weekend), I've applied your translation but will post the update once I finish it. Maybe next week it'll be up to test, if you can sideload apps I can send you the unsigned xap to test.

Andre o Botelho

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
EmiGens is back at store as a free app. Thanks to all that supported this project so far.

What's going to happen regarding Eke's request for the app's source code to be published?

I'm not doing it now, have a lot of things to do before publish the source ( merge with symbian version, remove usused code, cleanup everyting), emigens currently is a work in progress, I've not finished it before publish on Store, like I said on the first post. The Genesis Plus GX source is nearly untouched( just included a function to load roms from memory), the rest is my platform code on C++ and C. If someone request I can send a copy of source code. If Eke request I can remove from the store and not release any source, don't know why Eke came trowing stones at me but I suspect someone interested in copy my work mailed him. So while I've not cleaned the code I'll not release to the public, just for who requests.

Roman Ekaterininsky

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
EmiGens is back at store as a free app. Thanks to all that supported this project so far.

I'm not doing it now, have a lot of things to do before publish the source ( merge with symbian version, remove usused code, cleanup everyting), emigens currently is a work in progress, I've not finished it before publish on Store, like I said on the first post. The Genesis Plus GX source is nearly untouched( just included a function to load roms from memory), the rest is my platform code on C++ and C. If someone request I can send a copy of source code. If Eke request I can remove from the store and not release any source, don't know why Eke came trowing stones at me but I suspect someone interested in copy my work mailed him. So while I've not cleaned the code I'll not release to the public, just for who requests.

Still waiting for version with the translations, hope I`m not the only one who agreed to make translation for his language. But please, make the priority to EmiPSX for now.

Eke

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site

Nobody mailed me anything, the only reason I came to you is that the code you are using is released under a specific license written and chosen by its original authors, and that by not respecting it, you were direspecting our work as original authors, plain and simple.
That is what open source licenses are for and what people do not realize is that ignoring or denigrating them will simply discourage open-source devs to continue their work, which will harm everybody in the end.

I already explained the reason why it is asked that the sourcecode of modified ports should be made publically available: it permits people to indeed copy your work and use it as they want (however still under the license terms) but also to learn from it and eventually improve it, which at the end benefits to users and to future ports. Think about it, if the original Genesis Plus author had never released its code in public, I would not have been able to add all these features and compatibilty improvement to my GX port, and similarely, if I had kept my own additional code private (for whatever legit reason I thought I had), devs like you would not have been able to port it and end users from this forum would not be playing Sega CD games right now on their smartphone...

I understand the feeling of wanting to keep control on his own code and not wanting to share it for various personal reasons, but it's really only giving back what was given to you in the first place. It is ok that you want to clean up the code before releasing it, though, just keep in mind that you are not going to work on this forever and that someday someone might want to do his own port or take inspiration out of it but would not be able to get access to the sourcecode because it is lost or you are not reachable / do not care anymore. That's why it does not matter the state of the code, if it is able to compile into a published binary, it means it is good enough to be publically shared, so that it continues to benefits to anyone like the original project did.

ayameanime

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
lol i paid for emigens and now its free "P Well whatever, hey look i found a bug! When i save a state and try to load one the screen goes blank and i have to reload the game for the save state to work. This didn't happen be4..... Oh and yes lets get that emipsx on table..I'll pay 7 dollars for it "D

Roman Ekaterininsky

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
New update is on the store, with translation to portuguese(me) and russian by Roman.

Thanks. Here is the translation bugs I found:
wp_ss_20130829_0001[1].png
Controls tab, text is cutted off
You can change "Прозрачность виртуальных кнопок" to "Прозрачность кнопок"
"Настроить портретные виртуальные кнопки" to "Портретная ориентация"
"Настроить ландшафтные виртуальные кнопки" to "Ландшафтная ориентация"
wp_ss_20130829_0002[1].png
FAQ tab, text is cutted of after answer 6 and Roms tab must be "Образы"

Everything else is fine. Good idea with pricing.

Andre o Botelho

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. Here is the translation bugs I found:
View attachment 41586
Controls tab, text is cutted off
You can change "Прозрачность виртуальных кнопок" to "Прозрачность кнопок"
"Настроить портретные виртуальные кнопки" to "Портретная ориентация"
"Настроить ландшафтные виртуальные кнопки" to "Ландшафтная ориентация"
View attachment 41588
FAQ tab, text is cutted of after answer 6 and Roms tab must be "Образы"

Everything else is fine. Good idea with pricing.

Hi, about the bugs, the frist one I've emailed you before but didn't have time to fix, the second I've seen already, it appears to be some limitation on size of tex content been so big, it can be fixed shring the text in two parts, but I never worried abou it ^^, the missing part is the contact email.

Good idea with pricing.
just a test, using the MS trial system is better than have two apps on the store(easier to update as the two have to be equal), surprised me the one day 1500 downloads on the store after the removal from store and republish as free, maybe the price make people skip it(or they were afraid that it could disappear forever and got at first chance), on future I can make two versions to check(don't know if I can publish the same app with two names on store).

EdSherriff

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
just a test, using the MS trial system is better than have two apps on the store(easier to update as the two have to be equal), surprised me the one day 1500 downloads on the store after the removal from store and republish as free, maybe the price make people skip it(or they were afraid that it could disappear forever and got at first chance), on future I can make two versions to check(don't know if I can publish the same app with two names on store).

How about making the app free but adding an in-app purchase to donate? The incredibly popular "Battery" by Arthur Semenov uses this approach. Users browsing the store aren't necessarily going to read the full description of your app and may not bother investigating it if it isn't listed as free. Same goes for EmiNes, you're currently being undercut by the XNA based vNESLight and vNESLight Pro, whose controls and compatibility are inferior but are probably attracting WP8 users purely on price.

EmiPSX on the other hand is obviously going to be able to command a much higher price once compatibility reaches a reasonable level.

Eke

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
How about making the app free but adding an in-app purchase to donate? The incredibly popular "Battery" by Arthur Semenov uses this approach.

This would actually be a fairly acceptable solution, much better than having a "paid" and "free trial" identical versions in regard to Genesis Plus GX license. The license forbids commercial use of the code but built-in donation is not considered as a commercial activity as long as it is not forced donation.

Thank you for respecting the original license. I hope that you do not forget about the sourcecode part which is as much important to my eyes, as already stated. A mention on the app main page explaining that this is a port of Genesis Plus GX with a link to the googlecode page (https://code.google.com/p/genplus-gx/), which contains original sourcecode and credits would be appreciated as well. I am always open to hear about potentially existing emulation bugs, having people knowing what emulator they are actually using and where specific game issues could be reported is always beneficial to the project

Andre o Botelho

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
How about making the app free but adding an in-app purchase to donate? The incredibly popular "Battery" by Arthur Semenov uses this approach. Users browsing the store aren't necessarily going to read the full description of your app and may not bother investigating it if it isn't listed as free. Same goes for EmiNes, you're currently being undercut by the XNA based vNESLight and vNESLight Pro, whose controls and compatibility are inferior but are probably attracting WP8 users purely on price.

EmiPSX on the other hand is obviously going to be able to command a much higher price once compatibility reaches a reasonable level.

to use In app purchase I need to add more code but I liked the idea on letting it free and may add it on future, is well know that people likes to install crap apps just because they are free :smile:, maybe the free trial on the store is not seen as free because some devs remove all the functionality on free trial version. Now I've finished a EmiNes update, didn't have much time to work because I'm finishing College and having lot of work but I'll implement the IAP when I have time, EmiNes was really unfinished and lots of people were giving bad reviews but It has already +500 downloads so I had to stop all and update it :sweaty:.

PS: the free waring is on top of page, is the first thing you see on description.

This would actually be a fairly acceptable solution, much better than having a "paid" and "free trial" identical versions in regard to Genesis Plus GX license. The license forbids commercial use of the code but built-in donation is not considered as a commercial activity as long as it is not forced donation.

Thank you for respecting the original license. I hope that you do not forget about the sourcecode part which is as much important to my eyes, as already stated. A mention on the app main page explaining that this is a port of Genesis Plus GX with a link to the googlecode page (https://code.google.com/p/genplus-gx/), which contains original sourcecode and credits would be appreciated as well. I am always open to hear about potentially existing emulation bugs, having people knowing what emulator they are actually using and where specific game issues could be reported is always beneficial to the project

The EdSherriff idea may be better, I'll check on future, if you have access, you can see that the About Page is the most simple on all my apps just the thanks and my name :smile: (on current release I forgot to add the translation notice to thank Roman and hire more translators), I'll change it to add your licence and the open source notice when I have time, I'm out of time these days and for the next month, until I finish College(I hope). The store description is complicated, just a limited set of characters, I had to remove the updates to add the free notice.

Emil Torma

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Just wanted to thank you for this awesome emulator, I use it every day. Are there any considerations for implementing the Moga Pro controller sdk for controller support?

Also I too support Edsherriffs thoughts about making one for Windows 8 App store with Xbox 360 controller support. People with Windows 8 tablets are missing touch screen optimized emulators and people with Windows RT devices have no Sega emulators what so ever.

If you have a place where people can donate for future development on top of buying the app, I will gladly contribute a little bit.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett