Just thought I'd let everybody know about a new app I just uploaded to the store recently that allows you to search any website by voice.

15+ web sites built-in that you can search, like Flixster, Google, CNN, Dictionary.com, etc. And you can add your own custom sites to search as well.

You can get it here: http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=...8-3bd92c40226f

I've also made several blog posts for developers to see exactly how the app was built, including full source code. You can check that out on my MSDN blog here: http://blogs.msdn.com/robch.

Let me know what you think...

Thanks.
    Rob Chambers
    link68759 and nbktonic like this.
    07-20-2013 02:56 PM
    This is amazing.

I've been with WP since the beginning and the stagnation / glacial update speed from MS to address the most basic of issues is starting to really get to me.

The WP voice command system is one of the most intelligent, useful, awesome and entirely underutilized features of the platform. We need more devs like you exploring creative ways to use voice commands, giving the WP platform some much needed fresh life.

Now if only MS would allow voice commands to work properly over BT HSP...
    Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Board Express
    07-20-2013 03:12 PM
    Hi, just tried it and it works well but wonder where the settings are that are shown in the store screenshots, and what's the login for? Might be worth adding some kind of help file. Nice though, thanks.
    07-20-2013 03:13 PM
    The settings are available once you log in. ;-)

You have to be logged in to add/manage your own custom sites to search. Once your logged in, those sites can be stored in the cloud, just for you. Then, if you have multiple devices, the sites will be available across all your devices.

Good suggestion on the help.

Thanks.
    07-20-2013 03:20 PM
    Hi Link,

Full disclosure: I'm a Group Program Manager at Microsoft, and my team was the team that built speech into WP, including the dev platform. We also do the Xbox speech work as well.

I certainly appreciate your candid feedback, and rest assured, the BT issues on WP8 are top of mind for me personally, as well... ;-)

If you could, though, can you be precise on the problems you're seeing with BT. I'll log a specific bug at work next week with your details included.
    07-20-2013 03:37 PM
    I'm not a big user of voice apps so this may be normal but should the app still be open after you've issued the voice command?
    07-20-2013 06:53 PM
    I leave it in the back stack in case you want to search another site as well, for the same thing. For example, searching for a movie on both IMDB, and then on Flixster.
    07-20-2013 08:51 PM
    Hi Link,

Full disclosure: I'm a Group Program Manager at Microsoft, and my team was the team that built speech into WP, including the dev platform. We also do the Xbox speech work as well.

I certainly appreciate your candid feedback, and rest assured, the BT issues on WP8 are top of mind for me personally, as well... ;-)

If you could, though, can you be precise on the problems you're seeing with BT. I'll log a specific bug at work next week with your details included.
    A2DP (aka "music") devices are globally set as the default output device upon connection, whereas, HSP (aka "voice") is never the global default output. While the system can selectively use HSP as output (for calls and reading SMS, but not for music), apps cannot. This means that if a headset doesn't support A2DP, half the time your audio is going to come out of the phone's speaker, not the headset.

To be specific, here's how your app would handle HSP: hold start, hear the blip through headset. I say, "go search on wolfram alpha", I hear "search on wolfram alpha for what?" through the headset. The app starts. From here on out, all audio goes through the phone speakers. I say 5+5, I hear "searching wolfram alpha for 5+5" through the phone speakers.

If you have an A2DP headset you'll never notice this, but the the root of the problem is apps can't output over HSP. Even when using the native system voice command interface, that too ignores HSP devices when an app starts it.

This negates the hands free part of voice commands- imagine you're using weatherlive, which supported neat voice commands like "what's the forecast for Friday?". If my phone was in my pocket and I initiated the command via headset... The answer will be coming from my pocket.
    07-20-2013 09:32 PM
    Got it. That's the same known issue I was referring to, too. Its already been logged, shortly after release of WP8, by me, on the backlog. Hopefully we can get that rectified in an upcoming release.
    link68759 likes this.
    07-20-2013 10:09 PM
    I'm just happy to know someone over there knows the issue exists. Trying to get the word out to you guys is kind of like... http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploa...tter-throw.gif , especially with 90% of uservoice being feature requests from people who wished they didn't switch from android/iOS

thanks again!
    Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro
    07-20-2013 10:30 PM
    I leave it in the back stack in case you want to search another site as well, for the same thing. For example, searching for a movie on both IMDB, and then on Flixster.
    Ok. Is it possible to make it auto close when you call it via voice command as opposed to starting it manually? If so maybe add an option for those who would like it to stay open.

Also I think it would help if there was a button called "New search" to clear both fields and initiate a new search and your"Go" button can say "Search" to search on current entries.
    07-21-2013 01:22 AM
    For the record, I cast my vote for being able to optionally have all audio go over HSP (with our discussed bug always corrected regardless of the setting). Just have it off by default and give a warning about crappy audio quality the first time you tick the setting.

07-24-2013 06:14 PM
    For the record, I cast my vote for being able to optionally have all audio go over HSP (with our discussed bug always corrected regardless of the setting). Just have it off by default and give a warning about crappy audio quality the first time you tick the setting.Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Board Express

While I'm dreaming up features that'll probably never happen, here's another issue- practicing proper security (eg having the phone locked with code) effectively cripples voice commands. Either all apps should be allowed to start under a passlocked screen and interact via voice, or we should be able to select apps that can do so.. or have some voice authentication system. Hands free means hands free, and WP currently doesn't respect that.
    Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro
    07-25-2013 12:28 AM