[App] Mahjong Scoring Tool (Japanese Modern, European Classical, Hong Kong)

cyber_k9

May 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

This is a niche-app for sure, and I've been waffling on whether to post this here or not, but... what the heck. ;)

I love playing Mahjong (not "Mahjong Solitaire", but the actual 4-player game). I grew up playing it with my family, then when I moved to Canada I introduced friends to it, and we now play regularly. But one area which I've always found tricky is the scoring of the game; there are many rules concerning the scoring of a hand, and then payments between players can be similarly confusing - especially when we started learning the Japanese variant.

When I was teaching my friends, the thought struck me to make an app to assist with scoring, and thus Mahjong Helper was born. This was first developed for the iPhone, but after I became infatuated with Windows Phone's gorgeous UI and got my first device (A Samsung Focus) in 2012, I started porting it. (Now it's available for Android too). I think the WP7/8 version is my favorite though. ;)
lumia-800.png
Features

• Multiple Matches
  • Beautiful, easy-to-read tiles.
  • Hand Scorer with intuitive tile/set-type selector (and on Windows Phone, you can use speech recognition to enter your hand details)
  • Scoring Panel that describes how the score for a hand was calculated. Great for learners, or just to double-check!
  • Supports European Classical, Hong Kong, and Japanese Modern systems (including the European Mahjong Association's Riichi rules).
  • Send scores from Hand Scorer to Score Sheet, or enter scores manually.
  • Scoresheet calculates exchanges between players

Free trial available (limits the # of matches and games tracked, and the hand-scorer interface has a limiting system in place)

So - if you enjoy the game, are interested in learning, or know others who play, please consider them pointing to it? :)

Mahjong Helper

Windows Phone version (direct link)

Thanks, hope you like. :)
Mike.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for bringing a new app to the attention of our members here on WPCentral. It looks interesting and useful. Good luck with your app, and please feel free to check out the other forums and interact with members here.

KristyW

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
THANK YOU for creating this tool.

I too used to love playing Mah Jong with my sister and grandparents during school holidays
when I was little, (so young, that to begin with, our favourite part was knocking down and rebuilding the wall)
but the knowledge of correct scoring unfortunately has disappeared as my grandparents
have aged.

I have tried to learn and play as an adult and hope I can use this tool more as an aid
to double check my scoring as I learn rather than to replace learning how to score.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett