WP8's TellMe is so lacking that I have fixed it myself.

Kevin N Smith

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Speech
The only Windows Phone virtual assistant with full OS integration.

Please ignore the poll. Speech has already launched. Also, I will start a new thread soon as the name/poll need to be changed and removed.

NEWS: 1.4 Indev, Scroll Down for my view on how I shall combat cortana.

Download the app at: Speech | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

TellMe on WP8 is extremely lacking. We all know that. iPhone friends on Siri laugh at us in horror when it comes to voice assistants. Android users the same. Due to this problem becoming even more prevalent as voice assistants become even more advanced, I've decided to create an app that links into TellMe and adds key commands missing from WP8.

PLAN TO BATTLE CORTANA ON 8.1
As we all know, Cortana is coming. This ruins my current app, making it completely useless. However, I know I cannot beat Ballmer, erm, Sataydia's empire, so Speech will simply work alongside Cortana much how it works with TellMe now (However, I won't take control of as many functions). Think of it as my goals changing from taking over TellMe's entire UI to working alongside Cortana and filling in any weak points that may be found.

IN ORDER TO EXECUTE THIS PLAN
The update will be devided into two sections. Section 1, or 1.4, will come out shortly, much like a normal Speech update - New features, Commands, and UI updates. However, 1.4 will change my backend completely in favor of a much more flexable system. Currently, my system is a mess full of workarounds and things that don't make sense. However, 1.4 strips my old 2012-style backend framework in favor of a future-proof system that can be CHANGED to work with 8.1 with ease.

Section 2, or 1.5/2.0 will come out after 8.1's release. No word on what this will contain, but this will be the update that makes Speech work with Cortana.

COMMANDS
Buy the full version to enjoy all of our commands.

TRIAL VERSION
  • Send Email
  • What Can I Say
  • Search 10 websites
  • Time/Date
  • Map Search
  • Store Search
  • Set Reminders
    [*] Weather Info [Coming in 1.4]

FULL VERSION ONLY
  • Navigation/Directions
  • Battery Life
  • Share Status
  • Shuffle/Pause/Play/Previous/Next Music
  • Appointments
  • Alarms
    [*]Wolfram Alpha [Coming in 1.4]

COMING SOON
  • Create to-do or notes
  • More searching options (Search ANY website in the world!)
  • Calculator (A concept of this has been built, may make it into 1.3 or 1.4)
  • Easter Eggs such as siri's joke commands (Very low priority)
As per the Cortana announcement, much of this "Coming soon" stuff may just be trashed if Cortana already includes it.

HOW IT WORKS

Removed as this will change post-1.4

THE FUTURE

1.4 Update (In dev)
  • Full-Screen Response panes [DONE]
  • Updated overall look [DONE]
  • POSSIBLE: Finally, rename Speech to whatever you want.
  • 25% 8.1 Ready (Pre-Update 1) [DONE]
  • Weather Commands [DONE]
  • Speech recognition technology improved and revamped [DONE]
  • Refined Animations
  • Modern homescreen/Command screen
  • Appbar Integrated [DONE]
  • Improved Help [25%]
  • Add appointment for specific day [DONE]
  • Wolfram Alpha

1.5/2.0 Update: Nothing to announce at the moment.

SCREENSHOTS
Screenshots are outdated and have been removed. Updated ones coming with 1.4

Last edited:

DBDev

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
Sounds nice! Unfortunately I won't be able to use it because I'm on wp7, but I know that it's impossible for you to make this app for 7, so I'm not blaming you :wink:

gab1972

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
I'd be willing to pay, but I'd like to see how this compares to Maluuba. I love Maluuba. You'd have to make me want to steer from them. Unfortunately, Maluuba can't launch automatically by long-pressing the Windows key; however, it can tell me when tv shows come on, play music, make reminders, tell me what's on my calendar, etc. I used Maluuba when I was on Android and I loved it. Even better than Google Now.

So yeah...you'd have to make it somehow better than Maluuba before I'd pay and jump ship. Maluuba is free for everything.

Kevin N Smith

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Everything you have said about what Malluuba can do (Such as play music or reminders) is already supported or planned. I am not, however, planning to add the capability to tell when a TV show comes on. Music playing is already supported. I'd advise you to wait for the 1.1 update adding reminders/calendar support before you look into jumping ship.

Rem97

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Sounds interesting. I'll be giving it a download when available and will give feedback accordingly. :D

Last edited:

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Call it Cortana! And see if Microsoft asks you to change the name. That would be really awesome. So you'd be like, "Cortana, send an email"

MDak280

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
This is really cool, especially since you can use it just by launching TellMe! I'm gonna be really nitpicky though and say that the app icon (I see it in one of the screen shots) doesn't look the best :p

Great job, looking forward to this app.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6