Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Version 1.4.0 submitted tonight.

Name change to: Flickr Central
New logo

Added:
-Much cleaner settings page
-Transitions and general polish

I'd reach out to Flickr to make sure they have nothing to complain about the name. There was an app, 'Flickr Manager', that has to be removed due to naming issues.

Nonetheless, this is the most promising approach to bring Flickr to WP by a margin. Just fix the single upload exif data issue and extend the managing possibilities (add to sets/ groups after uploading, e.g. if uploaded from a different source; search for and follow people; edit details of a photo).

It's not only official apps that drive a platform: it's apps like this and developing enthusiasts like you that do.
Keep it up!

MPCowan

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I'd reach out to Flickr to make sure they have nothing to complain about the name. There was an app, 'Flickr Manager', that has to be removed due to naming issues.

Thanks for the heads up! I see a lot of Flickr apps on Flickr's App Garden with Flickr in their name so hopefully they allow it in most cases. I will try to reach out proactively just to make sure though. Can't change the name of the app every week :winktongue:

I am still looking into the exif issue and hope to have it addressed in the next update (which is looking like it is going to be a big one, lots of new requested features.) I'll see what I can do about the other editing functions. I certainly want to get to them, but one step at a time, haha.

Thanks again!

-Matt

SBGJansen

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Absolutely great app!

As I asked in another thread earlier, could I request you add Facebook share? That would make this the first app to actually share the full quality picture on facebook.

Thanks for the work!

MPCowan

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Absolutely great app!

As I asked in another thread earlier, could I request you add Facebook share? That would make this the first app to actually share the full quality picture on facebook.

Thanks for the work!

Thanks. Can you explain a little further how you would like this to work?

For example, would you want the app to post a link to the Flickr page with the photo or would you rather the app post a link directly to the original image source?

SBGJansen

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi, apologies if I wasn't clear.

The original Flickr.com page allows you to post an image directly onto your facebook wall, I would like to do this on my phone.

Flickr uploads a large version to the facebook wall (2048 (~800-1000kb)). Sadly not the full res version. On a windows phone, at this time, you can upload ~500kb images to your facebook wall using the slow and buggy facebook app, and a mere ~140kb image using the share function on the phone. Which makes the 41mp camera (lumia 1020) pointless for sharing.

EDIT: I just figured that regardless of the size you upload, facebook converts it to a 2048 picture anyway, even when setting high quality. I hadn't realised that before.

Apart from SkyDrive and your flickr central app, there is also no other way to share a Full res images with anyone directly from the phone. I understand that uploading them only works through Wifi, however accessing them, and therefore sharing them on facebook, could be possible via your app?! That would be great. It is just that most people don't use flickr.

Posting a link directly from the app on my facebook wall, would also be a really nice feature.

I hope it makes more sense now.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

MPCowan

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for clarifying. I will look into adding the ability to post a link directly to the resolution of your choice to your Facebook wall. It won't make the upcoming update due to be submitted this weekend, but hopefully the next one (1-2 weeks later).

Thanks for the feedback.
-Matt

Kallisticker

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Version 2.0.0 really is a big step forward. Exif data of uploads from within the app are fixed, multiple upload and detail editing is working absolutely fine.
Great job! Really impressive!
Looking forward to Twitter sharing, an option to choose the size of photos to download and adding photos to groups.

Azmoomza

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
(minor bug?) The tile name still says 'Viewr', though program name is obviously 'Flickr Central'
(question) Start tile keeps scrolling some photos which seem the same to me. Is that configurable?

MPCowan

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
(minor bug?) The tile name still says 'Viewr', though program name is obviously 'Flickr Central'

Haha, yeah this was a good catch, guess I missed it when I went for the name change.

(question) Start tile keeps scrolling some photos which seem the same to me. Is that configurable?

Indeed, the default pin is currently very boring, as it just scrolls through a few preset images. Pinning a tile from the my photos page or a set page will produce a much more interesting tile. Making the default tile more interesting is on my list of things to do.

MPCowan

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Version 2.0.0 really is a big step forward. Exif data of uploads from within the app are fixed, multiple upload and detail editing is working absolutely fine.
Great job! Really impressive!
Looking forward to Twitter sharing, an option to choose the size of photos to download and adding photos to groups.

Thanks! :smile:

Good news, version 2.1.0 which is currently in progress, already has sharing to your social networks (including twitter). I will look into your two other suggestions.

Keep the feedback coming!

Last edited:

sikku

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
(minor bug) One more place where you need to change the name 'Viewr'...
In the Auto Upload setting page you have a note with a *
*Photos will only ever be ....
The phone decide when to allow Viewr to upload...

Looks like you need to search for the string Viewr and replace it with the new app name... :p

sikku

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
hope you will fix few issues which I am facing right now...

1. Auto upload, sometimes uploads the same pics again and again. So I had to delete those photos uploaded from my phone... Hope you have fixed this issue?? I cant check it coz I have already deleted all my photos from my phone.. :( I dont want to delete pics from my phone either... Please fix this bug.. (I hope this app uploads the pics in the background?)

2. The explore option: When I go back to the explore main window from a particular pic, it takes me to the top, instead of from where I opened the pic.. I have to scroll down again and again in this case... Hope you are looking into this issue??

Rest I am happy with other features and options... There is no issue in paying for an app if it has good features and has premium looks... :) The person should be satisfied for what he/she has paid...

sikku

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
New features if possible:

1. Adding new contact directly from my phone contacts.
2. Editing/deleting pics from the app itself.

I can give more ideas if you are really interested in implementing them...

MPCowan

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
(minor bug) One more place where you need to change the name 'Viewr'...
In the Auto Upload setting page you have a note with a *
*Photos will only ever be ....
The phone decide when to allow Viewr to upload...

Looks like you need to search for the string Viewr and replace it with the new app name... :p

Haha yeah, I think I have found all of them now, more of a challenge than I had anticipated.

MPCowan

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
New features if possible:

1. Adding new contact directly from my phone contacts.
2. Editing/deleting pics from the app itself.

I can give more ideas if you are really interested in implementing them...

1. Strictly speaking this is not supported in the Flickr API. While I am sure I could figure out how to do this without an API, I prefer to stick to Flickr's API to keep them happy and avoid any C&Ds. This has been requested before and I realize how useful it would be. I will continue to look into it, but that is why it isn't there just yet.

2. Version 2.0.0 allows you to edit the title, description, and privacy setting of your photos within the app. This was the first step and next I am looking into allowing you to add your photos to / remove them from your sets within the app. As for deleting this is a little trickier. When I registered the app with Flickr I didn't request the ability to delete in the permissions. This was because deleting people's pictures is risky business and at the time I didn't want to involve myself in that. This leads to a problem now that if I want to add that feature, I need to request the ability from Flickr and all users of the app will need to reauthenticate with Flickr, which would be a terrible user experience.

Feel free to suggest as many features as you would like. I maintain a list of features I want to add and I always add the suggestions I get to that list.

Thanks,
Matt

sikku

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Upload or Auto Upload should allow me to create a new set. This way I need not log into flickr and create a new set just for my uploads from my phone.

wpdagg

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Does the app upload the full res lumia 1020 photos (34 mpixel etc) because i know there is a nokia api for this (atnt locker does it) and 1 TB would be put in good use with this. Thanks

MPCowan

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Upload or Auto Upload should allow me to create a new set. This way I need not log into flickr and create a new set just for my uploads from my phone.

I do agree with this; however, it is slightly troublesome in that you cannot create an empty set. So to allow you to create a new set you must first specify a photo (that is already on flickr) to be put in it. This is the reason I do not yet have this feature. If you can think of a novel way of making this easy for users please let me know.

MPCowan

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Does the app upload the full res lumia 1020 photos (34 mpixel etc) because i know there is a nokia api for this (atnt locker does it) and 1 TB would be put in good use with this. Thanks

I think ATT locker is the only app that can really do this (because ATT is more of a 1st party). I have looked into it before and as of right now normal developers cannot access the full size images on the 1020. If this changes (please let me know) I will implement that functionality.

Thanks,
Matt

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234