[Beta] MetroMail - Gmail app for WP8

Arpit Mittal

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
The OS itself doesn't have a file picker. As far as I know, you cannot pick arbitrary files in any app for whatever reason (correct me if I'm wrong). So I'm not sure how attaching files would work in this app. Maybe some sort of integration with SkyDrive/Google Drive would be possible, but it's not clear whether the benefit and ease of use of that, would be worth the development time.
Check out this app who has options for attachment, we all be very happy if we got attachments(photos & others etc.) in near future may be after 3-4 updates
Gmail app Gmail | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (भारत)

Last edited:

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Very happy with this app atm, slowly replacing the native mail app. Glad to be one of the first beta testers for it :D
Please keep them updates coming!

Vishwacorp

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
This app has been working great for me. When I initially installed the app a few days ago, I was getting push notifications properly. However, I had to reset my phone recently and since then, I have not been getting any notifications on the live tile. In the settings, I have the live tile toggle set to ON and the toast toggle set to OFF. Any suggestions? Thanks.

mmarksx19

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

Don't know if you want feedback posting here or elsewhere (let me know).

Using MetroMail and really liking it bar a few annoyances.

1) When I am informed that I have new emails, I open it up and it then updates the list. If I have quite a few emails, it can take some time.
2) I have multiple gmail accounts (private & work), I also use gmail on the web for my work account pretty much all day. If I read an email on the web, it doesn't update the live tile in Metro Mail. The unread count still remains the same. This seems to work correctly for the in built gmail client in that the count number will reduce.
3) I am not quite sure how the inbuilt client and MetroMail interact. Do I still need the account set up in the accounts part of settings on my phone? If so (and I think I do), in order to avoid multiple notifications, do I just remove the live tiles from the in-built gmail accounts?
) Would it be possible to handle the email sound or sync times within your software? One of my biggest bugbears with WP8 is the lack of automatic 'profiles'. I want my email to inform me during the day that I have new mail, I don't want to be kept awake at night. Currently I put my phone on silence but I am then worried that I might miss calls or texts as I am on call.

Michael

apoelin

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
This app has been working great for me. When I initially installed the app a few days ago, I was getting push notifications properly. However, I had to reset my phone recently and since then, I have not been getting any notifications on the live tile. In the settings, I have the live tile toggle set to ON and the toast toggle set to OFF. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Try disabling and re-enabling push notifications in settings again. Sorry!

apoelin

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

Don't know if you want feedback posting here or elsewhere (let me know).
In general, you can contact us via email at any time:
48549d1383356857-dzxfjhf.png

You can also post suggestions at Idea Informer ? Feedback 2.0. I am including my replies below, but please consider adding your suggestions to the website.

Using MetroMail and really liking it bar a few annoyances.

1) When I am informed that I have new emails, I open it up and it then updates the list. If I have quite a few emails, it can take some time.
Unfortunately the app cannot update when it is not running. It can only receive notifications. It is possible to have the app run in the background every 30mins and refresh your account. That can maybe help with the problem you are describing (depending on the timing), but it cannot eliminate it completely.

2) I have multiple gmail accounts (private & work), I also use gmail on the web for my work account pretty much all day. If I read an email on the web, it doesn't update the live tile in Metro Mail. The unread count still remains the same. This seems to work correctly for the in built gmail client in that the count number will reduce.
This feature is coming in one of the first updates after release.

3) I am not quite sure how the inbuilt client and MetroMail interact. Do I still need the account set up in the accounts part of settings on my phone? If so (and I think I do), in order to avoid multiple notifications, do I just remove the live tiles from the in-built gmail accounts?
As far as MetroMail is concerned, accounts only need to be configured within the app. It doesn't interact in any way with the settings of your phone.

) Would it be possible to handle the email sound or sync times within your software? One of my biggest bugbears with WP8 is the lack of automatic 'profiles'. I want my email to inform me during the day that I have new mail, I don't want to be kept awake at night. Currently I put my phone on silence but I am then worried that I might miss calls or texts as I am on call.
I like this feature but again, it would need to be something that will be added later. It wouldn't be too difficult to implement either. Please consider adding these to the Idea Informer website I posted earlier.

Thanks for your feedback!

Last edited:

Jnbs

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
In general, you can contact us via email at any time:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/attachments/windows-phone-apps/48549d1383356857-dzxfjhf.png

You can also post suggestions at Idea Informer ? Feedback 2.0. I am including my replies below, but please consider adding your suggestions to the website.

Unfortunately the app cannot update when it is not running. It can only receive notifications. It is possible to have the app run in the background every 30mins and refresh your account. That can maybe help with the problem you are describing (depending on the timing), but it cannot eliminate it completely.

This feature is coming in one of the first updates after release.

As far as MetroTalk is concerned, accounts only need to be configured within the app. It doesn't interact in any way with the settings of your phone.

I like this feature but again, it would need to be something that will be added later. It wouldn't be too difficult to implement either. Please consider adding these to the Idea Informer website I posted earlier.

Thanks for your feedback!

Can I get in already?? :D

Thanks for this awesome GMAIL experience! (soon to be)

dorkitude

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I tried logging in, but it wouldn't let me use my 2FA password - instead I was told to use my root password... Is this an issue on how you guys set up the web auth or something with google?

apoelin

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I tried logging in, but it wouldn't let me use my 2FA password - instead I was told to use my root password... Is this an issue on how you guys set up the web auth or something with google?
The UI you see for the login IS actually Google's authentication page, wrapped in a browser control. It's no different than visiting www.gmail.com in Internet Explorer and trying to login, hence the requirement for your actual password. I'll try and see if it's possible to actually redirect the user to IE from the app to do the login and then back, in order to make it more obvious that you are actually authenticating with Google (hence there are no security risks) and not with the app. The app never sees or stores your password.

dorkitude

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
The UI you see for the login IS actually Google's authentication page, wrapped in a browser control. It's no different than visiting www.gmail.com in Internet Explorer and trying to login, hence the requirement for your actual password. I'll try and see if it's possible to actually redirect the user to IE from the app to do the login and then back, in order to make it more obvious that you are actually authenticating with Google (hence there are no security risks) and not with the app. The app never sees or stores your password.

No need to redesign the flow of the app for something like this.

I guess the limitation is on Google then. I'd expect them to hand you the authorization token if I sign in with an app-specific password, regardless of it being a webview of google's site or not.

Rakeshlumia

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Started using it..One of the best Gmail app...I loved the interface :smile: superb :smile: !!

One thing we cannot send any attachments if we use metro mail ?

Is the attachment update feature is coming up down the line?

Guys build similar kind of app for Gtalk...

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
am liking this a lot, i like getting toasts for emails, unlike stock WP8 client. if metro mail had option for dark theme (like stock client) and allowed attachments (presumably coming) then it can replace it with ease.

apoelin

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Started using it..One of the best Gmail app...I loved the interface :smile: superb :smile: !!

One thing we cannot send any attachments if we use metro mail ?

Is the attachment update feature is coming up down the line?

Guys build similar kind of app for Gtalk...

am liking this a lot, i like getting toasts for emails, unlike stock WP8 client. if metro mail had option for dark theme (like stock client) and allowed attachments (presumably coming) then it can replace it with ease.

Attachments and a dark theme are coming most likely with the first update after the public release. Thanks for using the beta!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss