[Beta] MetroMail - Gmail app for WP8

Arpit Mittal

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Talk-to-text functionality for composing email is not working as App crash & exist itself.
My phone Lumia 720 & India
please apoelin some reply

Last edited:

apoelin

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Talk-to-text functionality for composing email is not working as App crash & exist itself.
My phone Lumia 720 & India
please apoelin some reply
I'm looking at the exception now and although I can make the app not crash, I'm not sure yet how to address your problem. It seems to be the internal operating system's APIs that throw the error, and not the app. I'm not sure if the following will do anything to help, but can you please go to settings -> speech on your device, and change the speech language to something else? Then restart, revert back to the actual language you want to use, and do a long-press on the start screen and try to use voice. Then try it in the app. Let me know how it goes. Also it might be easier if you email me.

apoelin

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Ok, the toast notification bug should now be resolved for beta testers (fingers crossed). If you are using the beta app, re-enable your push settings the way you like, and let me know if the problem shows up again. Thanks for your patience!

Arpit Mittal

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
sorry as I have previous downloaded English(India) Now I have downloaded English(UK)/English(US) and using it, now your Talk-to-text functionality for composing email is working
I'm looking at the exception now and although I can make the app not crash, I'm not sure yet how to address your problem. It seems to be the internal operating system's APIs that throw the error, and not the app. I'm not sure if the following will do anything to help, but can you please go to settings -> speech on your device, and change the speech language to something else? Then restart, revert back to the actual language you want to use, and do a long-press on the start screen and try to use voice. Then try it in the app. Let me know how it goes. Also it might be easier if you email me.

Last edited:

Arpit Mittal

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
please add English(India) in supporting language as English(UK) & English(US) are not much same as our tone or not giving satisfaction as all speaking search something else, so again I came back to English(India).
So please add English(India) in supporting language

apoelin

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
please add English(India) in supporting language as English(UK) & English(US) are not much same as our tone or not giving satisfaction as all speaking search something else, so again I came back to English(India).
So please add English(India) in supporting language
I was under the impression that the current implementation supported whatever language was specified by the phone. To be honest though, I haven't tested it in any language other than US English. I will look into it, thanks.

apoelin

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Is support for non-Gmail IMAP accounts planned in the future?

The default email client is very lacking :/
To be honest, I've been considering it, but there hasn't been a final decision yet. Out of curiosity, what would you improve over the native client, for IMAP accounts?

Nyr7

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
To be honest, I've been considering it, but there hasn't been a final decision yet. Out of curiosity, what would you improve over the native client, for IMAP accounts?

This is what I consider broken on the stock IMAP client:

- Push notifications: maybe you need to do IMAP idle on a server for that? Not really important for me, but would surely attract some users.
- IMAP flags: "Answered" (reply arrow) and "Flagged" (stars in Gmail). They are standard to the protocol but not implemented in the native client.
- Drafts: drafts aren't synced to/from the server, only saved locally.
- Spam folder: this isn't available at all. No option to mark messages as spam either.
- Custom folders: the default client is horrible at this. You can send email and will be synced to a "Sent Items" folder, no matter if your server uses "Sent" or other name. Same happens with Trash folder: phone uses "Deleted Items", no matter where your trash is in the server and doesn't let you configure it. I documented this today, if you want to get more detail on it.

To be honest, looks like the guys who programmed the stock IMAP client are all using Exchange and just needed to get the work done. The app for me was "read-only" until I did the workaround to at least, get the sent emails uploaded to the server.

Arpit Mittal

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Only 30 days left for trial after latest update 1.2.2.0.
Please change your decision (as i have don't credit or debit card, no purchase via carrier bill, from INDIA)

apoelin

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
My bad for the confusion; sorry. The latest update deployed to beta users mentions a "trial" version that is about to expired. That's just for testing the code for the upcoming free/30-day trial version. The beta version will be updated again well before that for removing that expiration. I've been meaning to send out an email, but I delayed it for this morning.

Arpit Mittal

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
thanks for reply & removing confusion also
My bad for the confusion; sorry. The latest update deployed to beta users mentions a "trial" version that is about to expired. That's just for testing the code for the upcoming free/30-day trial version. The beta version will be updated again well before that for removing that expiration. I've been meaning to send out an email, but I delayed it for this morning.

5150 Joker

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Just bought the app. Very nice job with it though performance is a little sluggish. I also have concerns about security since this is a third party app handling sensitive information. You mention using encrypted tokens on your server for notifications, can those tokens be used to access our information should your servers be breached by a hacker?

Sent from my RM-937_apac_hong_kong_222 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

apoelin

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Just bought the app. Very nice job with it though performance is a little sluggish. I also have concerns about security since this is a third party app handling sensitive information. You mention using encrypted tokens on your server for notifications, can those tokens be used to access our information should your servers be breached by a hacker?

Sent from my RM-937_apac_hong_kong_222 using Tapatalk

I would be happy to go into more detailed technical discussion about security if you want; just shoot me an email. If it helps at all, I'll just note that over the almost 2 years that we've been running MetroTalk, we haven't had a single security incident reported.

To answer your question: yes, the tokens can be used for accessing data from the account. The good news is that those tokens cannot be used for altering security settings of the account (e.g. changing the password). Also those token can be invalidated at any time either by us, or when the user let's say changes his/her password. We have been following all security best practices regarding how the data is stored on the server and how that server can be accessed. Also the transfer of data between your device and the server is as secure as any communication with your online bank.

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
any possibility of user re-ordering of labels, reason i ask is when i add a label, for example the new 'unread' label, it appears first in the list, so that when i launch metromail, it goes to that first, i would want inbox as my first view.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99