[APP] Spyglass - Official Thread

HG Software

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

today, I want to "officially" introduce to you my app Spyglass. It already has been mentioned in the article Prepare for the Bourne Legacy with our Windows Phone spy app roundup at WPCentral last year. Like Where Is My Car? that I introduced last week, this is an augmented reality app, but while Where Is My Car? is strongly focused on managing a parked car with some special features like a parking time reminder, Spyglass is a much more universal tool, not focused on a special use case.

In Spyglass, it is all about managing and displaying "targets". A target may be anything that has geo coordinates like for example a point of interest (POI). There are many ways to add targets:

• Perform a cross bearing by aiming at a target from two different locations in the augmented reality view. Please be aware that there must be a significant difference between the headings towards the target to get good results. Especially, the difference must be significantly greater than the heading accuracy. Unfortunately, the heading accuracy in today's phones is far from being perfect, therefore this won't work that great for long distances.
  • Save your current location.
  • Tap on the map.
  • Enter WGS84 coordinates.
  • Find addresses.
  • Get ATMs, post boxes, toilets and interesting places ("What's here?" function) from OpenStreetMap via Overpass API.
  • Search on Bing Maps.
  • Import GPX data.
Spyglass1.png
Spyglass2.png Spyglass4.png Spyglass3.png

The targets can be displayed in augmented reality, on a map and in a list.

Spyglass5.png
Spyglass6.png Spyglass7.png

Of course, there is also a directions function to get the directions to a target. In the latest version, third party directions apps like HERE Maps are supported on Windows Phone 8. Additionally, on Windows Phone 8, the offline maps feature may be used to make maps available for offline usage of the map view and the address search.

Some examples where this app may be useful:

• Find back to your hotel, car, some shop, landmark or any other place you want to return to. I always use this e.g. on city trips to mark the location of my hotel and of restaurants, bars etc. I discover and I maybe want to visit later.
  • Remember where you have been, e.g. for your travel diary or to tell your friends.
  • Ever stood in front of some landmark and wanted to know what it actually is? Maybe the "What's here?" function knows.
  • Discover interesting stuff around you, e.g. when visiting foreign towns or even in your home town.
  • Find out where to get some food, drinks etc. around you.
  • Although this is no dedicated geocaching app, the augmented reality view may bring some extra fun when looking for caches.
  • Mark target locations on secret spy missions. ;-)
  • There are many more! Tell us all the interesting stuff you did with this app right here in this thread.
For more information and for a free trial visit the store at http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=04f601d2-ca16-4a4c-a73d-ab308c42f50b or scan this code from your phone:

SpyglassQRCode.png

I hope you enjoy this app and that it is useful for you. If you have some suggestions how this app can be improved, I would appreciate some feedback.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for bringing a new app to the attention of the members of WPCentral. This looks interesting and useful. Good luck with your app.

HG Software

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
I have updated Spyglass to Version 2.2.0.1000 which has the following new features:

• Support for geo URIs: When you click on a geo URI (e.g. geo:40.75777,-73.98570 in an email, text message etc., Spyglass will be launched and offer to add a new target at this location. Additionally, targets can be shared via geo URIs in emails, text messages, NFC, social networks etc.
  • Support for angular units mrad and mil: You can now switch the angular units from degrees to milliradians or mils.
The new version is available in the store now, check it out.

Last edited:

HG Software

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
I have updated Spyglass to Version 2.3.0.1000 which adds integration with the built-in camera as a lens as well as some minor improvements. The new version is available in the store now, check it out.

HG Software

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
Version 2.4.0.1000 is in the store now which adds a privacy setting to disable the camera. Of course, the camera stream is never saved and never transmitted outside your device, but some people still feel uncomfortable having the camera enabled. Using this function, it is also easier to use this app in areas where usage of cameras might not be appropriate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb