Trio of Nintendo emulators: VBA8, VGBC8 and Snes8x.

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Re: Trio of Nintendo emulators. Update: trying to fix controller sticking bug.

Well, I was referring to that and the fact that VBA8 crashes on me when I reset games clocking in at 32MB. 16MB and below turns out fine.

I was just able to fix freezing issue when resetting "Killer Instinct" on VGBC8. Can you give me the name of the ROM that crashes when reset so that I can try fixing it?

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Re: Trio of Nintendo emulators. NEW: tutorial for using cheat codes

My Lumia 520 arrives today. Tries playing Killer Instinct on Snex8x and the controller locked up after 1 minute. Now I can try to debug this problem.

TheKaneB

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Re: Trio of Nintendo emulators. Dec22: Just got my Lumia 520

Hi,
I'm working on a different emulator for a Z80-based scientific calculator, and I've found this great open source VGBC8 emulator. I thought it could be useful to learn how to connect the C engine to the C# GUI, and I could also rework the z80 part for other projects.

So, I tried to download the source code following the link in the "about" page, but the link seems broken. SkyDrive tells that the file has been deleted.

Can you please send me a copy of the source code?
Since I'm a developer too, and quite a strong one in the C / C++ side of things (not so much in C#, unfortunately), I could also help you fixing bugs and adding features to your emulator as well!

Thanks,
Antonio

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

Hi,
I'm working on a different emulator for a Z80-based scientific calculator, and I've found this great open source VGBC8 emulator. I thought it could be useful to learn how to connect the C engine to the C# GUI, and I could also rework the z80 part for other projects.

So, I tried to download the source code following the link in the "about" page, but the link seems broken. SkyDrive tells that the file has been deleted.

Can you please send me a copy of the source code?
Since I'm a developer too, and quite a strong one in the C / C++ side of things (not so much in C#, unfortunately), I could also help you fixing bugs and adding features to your emulator as well!

Thanks,
Antonio

That's old code by m.k. I uploaded the up-to-date code here. VBA8 | Free software downloads at SourceForge.net

Last edited:

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

OK, the controller freezing problem is 99% fixed now! The last 1% is because of Microsoft. Here is the story.

Each time the user presses or releases a touch point, the phone is supposed to notify the app. However, due to incompetency on Microsoft's part, sometimes the touch release event is not notified. Since the app does not know that a touch point has been released, the button remains pressed and hence the button freezing/sticking problem. I modified the code so that if a button is stuck, simply pressing that button again will unstick it.

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Re: Trio of Nintendo emulators. Dec 23: Snes8x v1.4.0 with MOGA controller support is available

Snes8x v1.4.0 with MOGA controller support is now available. Even I said it required GDR3, GDR2 may also work. Use the link in my signature to force an update.

Edit: VBA8 and VGBC8 are also available. Thanks MS for approving the apps just before Christmas!

Last edited:

mediabrowser

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Re: Trio of Nintendo emulators. Dec 23: Snes8x, VBA8, VGBC8 v1.4.0 with MOGA support are available

Is there any interest in collaboration with other apps?

We (Media Browser) have a client-server app for personal media, which includes games. And we have apps on windows, ios, android, roku, etc. So if a user has a Nintendo game in their media library, could it be launched into your app on windows phone?

You can read about our server here:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser

And our phone app here:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-apps/255612-mediabrowser-3-windows-phone.html

Some screenshots of games in our various apps here:

52b8d6bfcf3b9_Untitled10.png

http://mediabrowser3.com/community/uploads/inline/2/52b8d6ca03769_Untitled11.png
http://mediabrowser3.com/community/uploads/inline/2/52b8d62f304d7_Untitled3.png
http://mediabrowser3.com/community/uploads/inline/2/52b8d617c563b_Untitle8d.png

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Re: Trio of Nintendo emulators. Dec 23: Snes8x, VBA8, VGBC8 v1.4.0 with MOGA support are available

Is there any interest in collaboration with other apps?

We (Media Browser) have a client-server app for personal media, which includes games. And we have apps on windows, ios, android, roku, etc. So if a user has a Nintendo game in their media library, could it be launched into your app on windows phone?

You can read about our server here:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser

And our phone app here:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-apps/255612-mediabrowser-3-windows-phone.html

Some screenshots of games in our various apps here:

View attachment 52682

http://mediabrowser3.com/community/uploads/inline/2/52b8d6ca03769_Untitled11.png
http://mediabrowser3.com/community/uploads/inline/2/52b8d62f304d7_Untitled3.png
http://mediabrowser3.com/community/uploads/inline/2/52b8d617c563b_Untitle8d.png

Thanks for your suggestion. However, I think it's not really practical. When a game is run inside the emulator, the whole ROM file has to be loaded in the memory. Therefore I think it's best if the ROM file is stored in the app's isolated storage rather than somewhere else. Also, I'm not quite sure how to stream a non-media file from an app to another.

mediabrowser

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site

OK, thanks. I'm not the windows phone developer of our group so I'm not fully aware of what is possible and was isn't. But I was thinking our app would have to download the rom first, and then launch your app with the path to the rom.

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

OK, thanks. I'm not the windows phone developer of our group so I'm not fully aware of what is possible and was isn't. But I was thinking our app would have to download the rom first, and then launch your app with the path to the rom.

Actually if streaming is not a must then it is 100% possible. My emulators are already registered to handle ROM files with specific extensions. Your app will need to download the ROM from the user's media library and then "launch" the ROM using the code below. My app will be able to read the ROM and import the ROM into the emulator's internal storage. Then the user can play the game.

Here is the code to launch the ROM in your app:
StorageFile file = await ApplicationData.Current.LocalFolder.GetFileAsync("game.gba");
Windows.System.Launcher.LaunchFileAsync(file);

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site

First of all thankyou for regularly updating these emulators and responding to our questions.
I would like to ask that can you maybe improve the color scheme of the 3 emulators a bit like Purple Cherry,I know it does not matter but adds a nice and fresh feel while playing any game,like this:-
7ab2adb8-8b59-4891-9190-20b0298b68e1.png
And secondly,this might sound weird but I still have and use the original M.K emulators.I have about 60+ games combined on all 3 emulators and progress saved on each game.If I shift the ROMs from those emus to yours,is there a 100% guarantee that the saved files will be copied without any glitch and will work?(I want to shift ROMs from the original one to yours because yours is updating regularly)

P.S:-Sorry,if my questions sound a bit stupid. :(

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

First of all thankyou for regularly updating these emulators and responding to our questions.
I would like to ask that can you maybe improve the color scheme of the 3 emulators a bit like Purple Cherry,I know it does not matter but adds a nice and fresh feel while playing any game,like this:-
View attachment 52729
And secondly,this might sound weird but I still have and use the original M.K emulators.I have about 60+ games combined on all 3 emulators and progress saved on each game.If I shift the ROMs from those emus to yours,is there a 100% guarantee that the saved files will be copied without any glitch and will work?(I want to shift ROMs from the original one to yours because yours is updating regularly)

P.S:-Sorry,if my questions sound a bit stupid. :(

First question: that's in the plan and I will get to it after I implement some more frequently requested feature, for example, repositioning of buttons.

Second question: The two app can coexist. You don't need to delete m.k.'s app to download my app. You can try transferring the save game from m.k.'s app. They should be 100% compatible unless there is some unknown bug in the import/export function.

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site

First question: that's in the plan and I will get to it after I implement some more frequently requested feature, for example, repositioning of buttons.

Second question: The two app can coexist. You don't need to delete m.k.'s app to download my app. You can try transferring the save game from m.k.'s app. They should be 100% compatible unless there is some unknown bug in the import/export function.

Hello,I wanted to tell you that the save games did not successfully transport but I will use your regularly updating emulator instead of an emulator which will never update(M.k's)
The GBA emulator runs awesome,no issues at all.Games do not lag,sound is awesome,no problem with controls.
Just one issue,that when i scan SD card,games show up fine but like I told you I have 60+ games on all emulators(35 games on VBA8) but the scroll bar does not work properly,only 6 games show up at a time,and when I scroll down,only top half of the game's name can be seen.
So once I import those 6 games and delete them from SD card,then only can I access the next 6.Can you plz check this out and fix the scrollbar in the next update?
Keep 10+ games on SD card and try to import all of them,I am not able to do so,can you check it out on your phone?

P.S:-I have deleted M.K's emulator and use yours now,loss of save states was a problem,but I think I can compromise for a live and updating emulator.Thanks!!!I will rate it 5 stars once I get the time (y)

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

- That scrolling bug is fixed in the next released which is under certification at the moment.
- About importing the save, you can send me an email at store.support@outlook.com, I can help you out. I should be able to make it work.

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

A head-up. If you are planning on buying in-app products for VBA8 or VGBC8, you don't need to buy for both apps. In version 1.6, each app will be able to handle all .gb, .gbc and .gba files, i.e. the two apps just become one.

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site

A head-up. If you are planning on buying in-app products for VBA8 or VGBC8, you don't need to buy for both apps. In version 1.6, each app will be able to handle all .gb, .gbc and .gba files, i.e. the two apps just become one.

Thanks!!I know about .gba and.gbc but what is .gb?
Awesome!!!Great to hear that!!So will this be a completely new app or will you update one of the apps so it can handle both and remove the other one?

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

Thanks!!I know about .gba and.gbc but what is .gb?
Awesome!!!Great to hear that!!So will this be a completely new app or will you update one of the apps so it can handle both and remove the other one?

.gb is the orginal Gameboy with no color, which is currently handled by VGBC8. Both apps will be updated to handle all 3 file types. There will be no new apps and there will be no discontinued apps. I keep both apps because customers have no way to transfer in-app purchase from one app to another.

MDak280

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Trio of Nintendo emulators. Dec 27: VBA8 and VGBC8 are merging.

Hi! First I'd like to thank you for keeping these amazing emulators alive! Great job.

I was wondering if your emulators are on Windows 8.1/RT? And if they are, do the save states sync between different devices (i.e. tablet and phone)?

I am getting a Surface 2 soon and it would be awesome if save files sync between devices :) Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mducros