Trio of Nintendo emulators: VBA8, VGBC8 and Snes8x.

rakesh1995

Banned
May 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Trio of Nintendo emulators. Update:MOGA beta testers needed, VGBC8 v1.2.5 is available.

Bro still heat up my phone like hell

Sent from my Uuusumm Lumia 520 using Tapatalk

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Re: Trio of Nintendo emulators. Update:MOGA beta testers needed, VGBC8 v1.2.5 is available.

Bro still heat up my phone like hell

Man, I understand the pain because that's my concern too. However the root of the problem is hard to fix. VBA8 and VGBC8 are based on the vba-m emulator, where "m" stands for merged, not for mobile. This vba-m emulator is developed for desktop system (windows, Linux, mac) where there is little need for battery life optimization.

I took a look at some popular emulators on the android market. The emulator with the best battery life there seem to be My Boy! and its code is written from the scratch instead of basing on an existing desktop emulator. I myself don't have the time and skills to do it :cry:. So unless someone other developer(s) devote a lot of time and effort to do so for the windows phone ecosystem, I'm afraid we are stuck with port of existing emulators.

rakesh1995

Banned
May 26, 2013
Visit site

My Boy! and its code is written from the scratch instead of basing on an existing desktop emulator. I myself don't have the time and skills to do it :cry:. So unless someone other developer(s) devote a lot of time and effort to do so for the windows phone ecosystem, I'm afraid we are stuck with port of existing emulators.

so if you get the source of it then you can make a app?

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

so if you get the source of it then you can make a app?

Not certainly because there are many differences between Android and WP, especially how they handle low level stuff.

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

There is some serious problem with windows phone store. VBA8 + Snes9x v1.2.5 have both passed certification but they are not available yet :angry:

Edit: VBA8 v1.2.5 is now available.

- Added ability to import Roms from IE and email. - Added ability to import Roms from SD card.
- By popular request: D-pad is now 4 way to improve accuracy.
- Fixed Advance Sonic 1/2. If you found games that do not run, don't hesitate to contact me. I will try to fix.
- Note: VBA8 does support Gameshark code. Press and hold a ROM and choose Cheat codes. Please email me if that does not work.

Last edited:

rakesh1995

Banned
May 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Trio of Nintendo emulators. Update:VBA8, VGBC8 v1.2.5 is available.

^ awesome
Hardworking
Fast updates
Good developer
Doesn't sleep
Only type type
Thanx
Brother

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Re: Trio of Nintendo emulators. Update:VBA8, VGBC8 v1.2.5 is available.

Snes8x v1.2.5 is now available:
- No more ads. (snes8x license prohibits it)
- Add ability to import Roms from IE and email.
- Add ability to import Roms from SD card.
- Add Donate functionality.
- By popular request: D-pad is now 4 way to improve accuracy.

rakesh1995

Banned
May 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Trio of Nintendo emulators. Update:Snes8x, VBA8, VGBC8 v1.2.5 is available.

^ awesome
More quick updates
Happy me
Good developer

Bro can there be a option to save rom to sd card if i download them via phone? Just time moliplayer do to mp3

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

^ awesome
More quick updates
Happy me
Good developer

Bro can there be a option to save rom to sd card if i download them via phone? Just time moliplayer do to mp3

not possible now, SD card is read only (thanks MS)

Edit: there is an API to save downloaded media files to SD card but not for general files.

rakesh1995

Banned
May 26, 2013
Visit site

not possible now, SD card is read only (thanks MS)

Edit: there is an API to save downloaded media files to SD card but not for general files.

cant you just rename the file to mp3 and save it on sd card?

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

cant you just rename the file to mp3 and save it on sd card?

it's kinda one way trip.

Yes, you can rename the file to mp3 and copy it to the music library; if the default location for music is SD card, the "song" will be stored on SD card. But MS does not provide you a way to copy a music file from music library to the app's storage location. So your ROM will be stuck in the music library and cannot be reimport into the emulator unless you manually plug the phone into PC, rename the extension to .gb, .gbc, gba. or .snes.

rakesh1995

Banned
May 26, 2013
Visit site

it's kinda one way trip.

Yes, you can rename the file to mp3 and copy it to the music library; if the default location for music is SD card, the "song" will be stored on SD card. But MS does not provide you a way to copy a music file from music library to the app's storage location. So your ROM will be stuck in the music library and cannot be reimport into the emulator unless you manually plug the phone into PC, rename the extension to .gb, .gbc, gba. or .snes.

thanx you bro. Thank you very much.
Also bro what feature are you working on now?

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

thanx you bro. Thank you very much.
Also bro what feature are you working on now?

better pictures for onscreen control + customize onscreen control's position.

Edit: actually I want to look at Mupen64plus to see how hard it is to port it to Windows phone. One thing that makes me hesitate is that I'm not sure how much the other developer has done on his port (see http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8/250720-porting-mupen64plus-windows-phone-8-a.html).

Edit2: forget about edit 1. I would like to spend sometime trying to fix some rough edges first.

Last edited:

Bostonpizza2

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site

Could you update vba8 so it can run better on 512mb devices? that would be great!

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

Could you update vba8 so it can run better on 512mb devices? that would be great!

Well, as I have replied to a previous post, vba8 is simply the VBA-M engine (VBA-M | Free System Administration software downloads at SourceForge.net) coupled with a front end designed for windows phone. The underlying engine is very complex and dictate most behaviors of the emulator. I will check to see if there is any option in the engine for lower quality graphics but I would not put too much hope into that.

Bostonpizza2

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site

Well, as I have replied to a previous post, vba8 is simply the VBA-M engine (VBA-M | Free System Administration software downloads at SourceForge.net) coupled with a front end designed for windows phone. The underlying engine is very complex and dictate most behaviors of the emulator. I will check to see if there is any option in the engine for lower quality graphics but I would not put too much hope into that.

Allright I understand!

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

Just some information I found today while looking into porting Mupen64Plus to Windows phone. Hope you found it informative.

Mupen64plus uses a library called SDL (Simple DirectMedia Layer - Homepage). This is a cross-platform library which is based on either OpenGL or DirectX depending on the system (e.g. directx for windows, openGL for everything else). Unfortunately, this library is available for anything, you name it, Mac, Linux, Windows, Android, iOS,... except windows phone and windows RT. Why? because this library is built on DirectX9 but windows phone and windows RT only supports directX11 (even worse, only a subset of directX11).

A guy named David Ludwig is working on a customized version of SDL for windows phone and windows RT but it is not fully stable and fully functional yet, especially for windows phone (https://bitbucket.org/DavidLudwig/sdl/wiki/Home). Maybe this customized library can be used for Mupen64plus on windows phone but I'm not sure yet.

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

Will the emulators only support moga controllers in the future or will I be able to buy other bluetooth phone controllers like this one: http://www.amazon.de/Bluetooth-Cont...ag=techracom00-21&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU2261880

I am asking because the MOGA controllers are pretty pricey in germany, and I'd love to get a cheaper one.

Sorry, the answer is probably no unless MS steps up their game. Here is the reason:
Android and iOS supports Bluetooth Human Interface Device Profile (HID). What this means is that when a Bluetooth device connects to the phone, the phone automatically recognizes it as mouse, keyboard, joypad or a controller. Android and iOS also have a native set of input API's that allows the developer of an app to handle the input from these Bluetooth devices.

Windows phone does not have Bluetooth HID. When you connect a mouse, keyboard, joypad or a controller to a windows phone, the OS does not know what the hell it is. So MOGA has to specifically develop a set of input API to handle their controller's inputs for windows phone (thanks MOGA). No other company has done so. Since MOGA develops their own SDK (software development kit) for windows phone, I am pretty sure it would work only with their controller. Why spends time developing a universal SDK for your competitors as well? Ofcourse, if any other company releases their own SDK for windows phone or MS adds native Bluetooth HID support, I can integrate it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3