Trio of Nintendo emulators: VBA8, VGBC8 and Snes8x.

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Re: Trio of Nintendo emulators. Update:Snes8x, VBA8, VGBC8 v1.2.5 is available.

I got an email telling me that someone asked me how to use cheats with Pokemon Emerald in this thread. However, I could not find that post anywhere. It turned out that the guy who posted that message has just been banned :confused:. Anyway, here is how to use cheats if you don't know.

Enter code: https://skydrive.live.com/redir?res...uthkey=!AH8WkmWxMeiAItk&v=3&ithint=photo,.png
Your code as seen in code list: https://skydrive.live.com/redir?res...uthkey=!APdLMnJ50HEgVzs&v=3&ithint=photo,.png
Result: https://skydrive.live.com/redir?res...uthkey=!AF_byYOBdcZxUm0&v=3&ithint=photo,.png

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Re: Trio of Nintendo emulators. Help needed: How to reproduce controller sticking bug?

I have a new beta version trying to fix the controller sticking bug. Anyone interested in testing it?

Thank you.

Last edited:

Localhorst86

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Trio of Nintendo emulators. Update:Snes8x, VBA8, VGBC8 v1.2.5 is available.

Sorry, the answer is probably no unless MS steps up their game. Here is the reason:
Android and iOS supports Bluetooth Human Interface Device Profile (HID). What this means is that when a Bluetooth device connects to the phone, the phone automatically recognizes it as mouse, keyboard, joypad or a controller. Android and iOS also have a native set of input API's that allows the developer of an app to handle the input from these Bluetooth devices.

Windows phone does not have Bluetooth HID. When you connect a mouse, keyboard, joypad or a controller to a windows phone, the OS does not know what the hell it is. So MOGA has to specifically develop a set of input API to handle their controller's inputs for windows phone (thanks MOGA). No other company has done so. Since MOGA develops their own SDK (software development kit) for windows phone, I am pretty sure it would work only with their controller. Why spends time developing a universal SDK for your competitors as well? Ofcourse, if any other company releases their own SDK for windows phone or MS adds native Bluetooth HID support, I can integrate it.

Thank you for the detailed explanation. Gonna wait for MOGA devices to be availble for a lower price, then. :)

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Re: Trio of Nintendo emulators. Update: trying to fix controller sticking bug.

Just order my Lumia 520 to test the emulators on low end device. My lumia 1020 is too powerful.

ORDER DETAILS
Order date: 12/17/2013​
G9t_2P3N68L86htdTKerOlUIJJDKwCBDOEBjcQq9W_yOL6WCyVMJ4Ky8PJIqHRMp9i4UmO6fmaGMOmLc5iwfoDmopAIlUJ5WujZqcvMkJN1Y18tBa-ySE_qvIhbZwJi6ei4=s0-d-e1-ft
G9t_2P3N68L86htdTKerOlUIJJDKwCBDOEBjcQq9W_yOL6WCyVMJ4Ky8PJIqHRMp9i4UmO6fmaGMOmLc5iwfoDmopAIlUJ5WujZqcvMkJN1Y18tBa-ySE_qvIhbZwJi6ei4=s0-d-e1-ft
BESTBUY.COMOrder number: xxxxxxxxx
QTYPRODUCT DESCRIPTIONSTATUS
1ATT GoPhone Nokia Lumia 520 4G NoContract Cell Phone Black
SKU: 1558441

xxxx
xxxxxxx
xxxxxxx

A signature is required when this item is delivered.
Order in process of being fulfilled. Estimated arrival date: December 20 - December 26
Questions about your order?
Call us at 1-888-BEST BUY (1-888-237-8289). For faster service, please have your order number handy. To cancel your order, learn more here.
Order Total: $54.25

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

There is some delay with the new version. A beta tester just discovered that you need GDR3 to use MOGA controller. For this reason, I had to cancel all current submissions to add a note about GDR3 requirement and then resubmitted the apps again.

rakesh1995

Banned
May 26, 2013
Visit site

Bro was testing you beta version. Bro it crashed 2 time when resuming from internet explorer and after along call.
Didn't notice anything else.

Lumia 520 with amber

Sent from my snow phone 520 (RM-914_im_india_269) using Tapatalk

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

Bro was testing you beta version. Bro it crashed 2 time when resuming from internet explorer and after along call.
Didn't notice anything else.

Lumia 520 with amber

Thanks. I think the same thing happens in the release version. It crashes due to low memory on low memory device. Unless I found a way to reduce the app's memory footprint, this will continue to happen.

rakesh1995

Banned
May 26, 2013
Visit site

Thanks. I think the same thing happens in the release version. It crashes due to low memory on low memory device. Unless I found a way to reduce the app's memory footprint, this will continue to happen.

I think decreasing frame rate will work.
By the way good job bro. Good job. Thank for such updates

Xonovor

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site

Many thanks for taking development of these wonderful emulators.
Any chance we could get some video filters in the future?
Good luck with your work!

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

Just curious, how much RAM do the emulators consume? Looking forward to the numbers, particularly for VBA8.

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

Many thanks for taking development of these wonderful emulators.
Any chance we could get some video filters in the future?
Good luck with your work!

Yes, it is on my to-do list but only after I iron out current quirks first. Reason: Direct3D on windows phone and windows metro does not have the Effects framework which let you effortlessly specify the sampler state, aka sampling method or texture filtering. It is up to the developer to implement the texture filtering algorithm themselves. There are several free libraries online but I have not had time to look at them yet. Who knows maybe Windows phone 8.1 will have the Effects framework.

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

Just curious, how much RAM do the emulators consume? Looking forward to the numbers, particularly for VBA8.

I will check later but during the certification process, all 3 emulators are marked by MS testers as "Hardware requirements High memory". Keep in mind that the app does not have access to all available memory. It is 150mb, 300mb, 300mb respectively for 512MB, 1GB and 2gB devices.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

I will check later but during the certification process, all 3 emulators are marked by MS testers as "Hardware requirements High memory". Keep in mind that the app does not have access to all available memory. It is 150mb, 300mb, 300mb respectively for 512MB, 1GB and 2gB devices.
So, if the app force-closes, it's taking up more than 150 MB of RAM? That's close to ridiculous. We're playing along with GBA ROMs that weigh in at less than a fourth that amount!

That said, I can't really fault you, since the engine is quite complicated.

P.S. Thanks for showing that the forums are capable of Segoe UI support haha.

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

So, if the app force-closes, it's taking up more than 150 MB of RAM? That's close to ridiculous. We're playing along with GBA ROMs that weigh in at less than a fourth that amount!

That said, I can't really fault you, since the engine is quite complicated.

P.S. Thanks for showing that the forums are capable of Segoe UI support haha.

Actually the crash happens when you switch to another. If the app you switch to need more memory than available, the OS will shut down VBA8 to get enough memory. So when you return to VBA8, you lose unsaved progress.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

Actually the crash happens when you switch to another. If the app you switch to need more memory than available, the OS will shut down VBA8 to get enough memory. So when you return to VBA8, you lose unsaved progress.
Well, I was referring to that and the fact that VBA8 crashes on me when I reset games clocking in at 32MB. 16MB and below turns out fine.

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

Well, I was referring to that and the fact that VBA8 crashes on me when I reset games clocking in at 32MB. 16MB and below turns out fine.

yeah, I noticed that. This is annoying. Actually I think this can be improved.

Last edited:

alky13

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site

Even though this might sound stupid.. could you bring it for WP7.x too? Atleast the GB emulator?

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

here is a tutorial on how to put in cheat code for VBA8.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3