Trio of Nintendo emulators: VBA8, VGBC8 and Snes8x.

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Re: Trio of Nintendo emulators. Dec 27: VBA8 and VGBC8 are merging.

Hi! First I'd like to thank you for keeping these amazing emulators alive! Great job.

I was wondering if your emulators are on Windows 8.1/RT? And if they are, do the save states sync between different devices (i.e. tablet and phone)?

I am getting a Surface 2 soon and it would be awesome if save files sync between devices :) Thanks!

- The original apps by m.k. are still available on Windows 8/RT store so I don't need to republish them there. You can just search for VBA8, VGBC8 or Snes8x and will find them easily.
- The save files are 100% compatible between windows 8/RT and windows phone 8

MDak280

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Trio of Nintendo emulators. Dec 27: VBA8 and VGBC8 are merging.

- The original apps by m.k. are still available on Windows 8/RT store so I don't need to republish them there. You can just search for VBA8, VGBC8 or Snes8x and will find them easily.
- The save files are 100% compatible between windows 8/RT and windows phone 8

That's awesome, thanks :)

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Re: Trio of Nintendo emulators. Dec 23: Snes8x, VBA8, VGBC8 v1.4.0 with MOGA support are available

A head-up. If you are planning on buying in-app products for VBA8 or VGBC8, you don't need to buy for both apps. In version 1.6, each app will be able to handle all .gb, .gbc and .gba files, i.e. the two apps just become one.

Are you going to merge the two (is this even possible?) or are you going to continue one over the other or keep both?

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Re: Trio of Nintendo emulators. Dec 23: Snes8x, VBA8, VGBC8 v1.4.0 with MOGA support are available

Are you going to merge the two (is this even possible?) or are you going to continue one over the other or keep both?

I will keep both apps. They will become identical, except the name. Both will support all gameboy rom types.

Edit: merging them is easy than you thought. Just need to be careful not to screw things up.

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Re: Trio of Nintendo emulators. Dec 29: VBA8 v1.5 are available but with a small bug

VBA8 v1.5.0 are now in store with a lot of changes. However, there is one small bug that I did not discover at the time of submitting app to the store. You cannot use the analog stick when rotating your phone to the right. Left landscape mode still works.

v1.5.0:
- BIG FIX: controller freezing issue. If a button is frozen, pressing the button again will unfreeze it.
- Note: MOGA controller may work on GDR2 as well.
- separate joystick size and button size settings.
- add lock/unlock mechanism to prevent accidental changes of sliders in Settings.
- automatically hide virtual controller when Moga controller is connected.
- you can now press and hold a ROM in recent list for option menu.
- fix scrolling bug in "Import ROMs from SD card" screen.
- add a new tab in the main page to show help and guides.
- add back 8-way joystick as an option in case you need it.
- no more "%20" symbol in ROM name when importing from IE.
- Implement better ROM reset function.
- FIX: app crashes when resetting a 32MB ROM.

blackmagic1

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Re: Trio of Nintendo emulators. Dec 29: VBA8 v1.5 are available but with a small bug

Is there any other way to fix the button freezing bug? I ran the updates and the buttons still freeze.. I have the Nokia Lumia 520

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

Is there any other way to fix the button freezing bug? I ran the updates and the buttons still freeze.. I have the Nokia Lumia 520

This is not really a fix but just a work around. It happens when you press the buttons too fast and low-end devices fails to notify the app of touch release event, so the button got stuck. I implement a function to unstick the button if needed. When I tested, the button unfreezes itself if you press the stuck button once more. It works for me in portrait and counterclockwise landscape mode. Just don't use clockwise landscape mode.

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Re: Trio of Nintendo emulators. Jan 03: VBA8, VGBC8 v2.0 are available.

VBA8 and VGBC8 v2.0 are now available. These are apps are basically the same now with supports for all gameboy roms.

v2.0.0:
- *NEW*: Supports all gameboy roms (.gb, .gbc, .gba)
- *NEW*: customizevirtual control position.
-*FIX*: game crashes when catching Pokemon in Chinese ROMs (口袋妖怪打开精灵图鉴会死机).
- FIX: analoguejoystick unusable when screen is in right landscape (no bug in left landscape).
- MOGA controller:left joystick on MOGA Pro controller is now working. Note: this app supportsall 4 controllers (Pocket, Pro, Hero Power, Pro Power).
- disable lockscreen when a game is running.
- Smarter namematching when importing save file. Now the save file will be importedsuccessfully if the name of the save file matches either the ROM's internalname (same as the name of the ROM file) or the ROM's display name (can bechanged using Rename function).

odoggyfresh

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

Is there any reason to have one over the other? Or just preference?

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site

No reason. I have to update both apps because some people have already purchased in-app products in VGBC8.

Thankyou for the update!! :) Ill try some gbc files on vba8 to see if they work,im sure they will.
One thing more about your snes8x emulator,does it only play super nintendo roms or can it play nintendo roms as well? :)

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

Thankyou for the update!! :) Ill try some gbc files on vba8 to see if they work,im sure they will.
One thing more about your snes8x emulator,does it only play super nintendo roms or can it play nintendo roms as well? :)

only super Nintendo roms. You can use vneslight or emines to play nes roms.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site

FYI, for some reason, VGBC actually won't download the update. It shows up in updates, but nothing downloads when you click the update button. It still keeps you on 1.5.

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

FYI, for some reason, VGBC actually won't download the update. It shows up in updates, but nothing downloads when you click the update button. It still keeps you on 1.5.

That's probably MS server issue or phone issue. Can you try restarting your phone?

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site

Yeah, sorry about that. It started working on its own after a few more hours.

eMRaistlin

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Trio of Nintendo emulators. Jan 06: Snes8x v2.0 is available.

About the WindowsRT and WinPhone saves being compatible, do you know How to transfer files from the "VBA8 export" folder on Skydrive to my WinRT surface ?

I tried to locate on the tablet the folder where is stored the SavedGame to overwrite it with the file located on Skydrive, but I couldn't, and thus, I don't know where to put it in the explorer (and m.k. didn't make the easy "Import from cloud" Save State you have access to on WinPhone)

Thank you very much, and keep up the great work.

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

About the WindowsRT and WinPhone saves being compatible, do you know How to transfer files from the "VBA8 export" folder on Skydrive to my WinRT surface ?

I tried to locate on the tablet the folder where is stored the SavedGame to overwrite it with the file located on Skydrive, but I couldn't, and thus, I don't know where to put it in the explorer (and m.k. didn't make the easy "Import from cloud" Save State you have access to on WinPhone)

Thank you very much, and keep up the great work.

The save files should be in the same location as the ROM file. So wherever your rom is, put the save files next to it.

Andrew Pedersen

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

Hey I was using the MOGA Pocket for a few days and it worked perfectly with VBA8.

I went out today and swapped it for a MOGA Pro Power and it doesn't work at all with the emulator. It says it should work and the controller is connected to the phone. It even works with a different app, emiPSX. However I cannot for the life of me get it to work on my Lumia 1520. I tried uninstalling the app and reinstalling because I kept getting an update notification on my phone and when I clicked update, it would just immediately show I had no updates available then show an update again.

Can you tell me if there's something special I need to do to get the Pro Power to work so I can finish playing Mother 3? Haha. Thanks in advance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb