Trio of Nintendo emulators: VBA8, VGBC8 and Snes8x.

Paul Acevedo

Writer
Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Re: Trio of Nintendo emulators. Feb 06: VBA8/VGBC8 v2.6 are available.

Is the "Choose portrait background color" not working in SNES8x? It doesn't save my color selection.

ahmedjan87

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: Trio of Nintendo emulators returned to the windows phone store

you are referring to snes8x right? because vba8 has cheat options. I will look into it.

I have no plan for Nintendo ds at the moment. First, it has 2 screens, not sure how to show that on a smart phone. Second, DS' spec is quite high, you will need a pretty powerful smartphone to handle it. Third, a good open source DS emulator is not yet available; you have to start from somewhere right?

there is a PC emulator called desmumr and its open source and it has an android port called nds4droid which is based on it both are open source

Chrono36

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site

The new app design is looking good.

I was wondering whether you can add an option to disable the bilinear filter. I'm not a big fan of it, as it makes everything look blurry.

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Re: Trio of Nintendo emulators returned to the windows phone store

there is a PC emulator called desmumr and its open source and it has an android port called nds4droid which is based on it both are open source

that was my old post. After that I discover that MS does not allow a particular coding technique that is required to make an efficient emulator. Anything existing emulators from N64 and above use this techniques because the emulator performance would be terrible without it. That's also why VBA8 runs so hot.

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

The new app design is looking good.

I was wondering whether you can add an option to disable the bilinear filter. I'm not a big fan of it, as it makes everything look blurry.

I'm using the default scaling behavior provided by Direct3D. The version of Direct3D shipped with windows phone does not include any option for its scaling algorithm. If I want to change the behavior, I would have to write my own or try to find some available library online. It is on my to-do list but not one of the top priority.

Nicomario

May 24, 2013
Visit site

Hey thanks for the work you do. I have a problem with vba8 however. Problems started with the last 2 updates. I'm on a Lumia 920 and the app crashes randomly all the time. I've tried testing to see what could be causing it but it does look purely random. If I stay in the menu for long and don't press anything, it crashes. If I so press something it crashes.( just closes I mean no message just a kick to the start screen). If I'm in a game, either tapping the screen or not it crashes. It crashes within 5 seconds or 5 it 15 minutes. As I said totally random. I know gba8 is basically identical and I have no problems with that one. I don't know if you know what's up but if you didn't I just told you :) its an inconvenience not a problem. Just keep doing good work.

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

Hey thanks for the work you do. I have a problem with vba8 however. Problems started with the last 2 updates. I'm on a Lumia 920 and the app crashes randomly all the time. I've tried testing to see what could be causing it but it does look purely random. If I stay in the menu for long and don't press anything, it crashes. If I so press something it crashes.( just closes I mean no message just a kick to the start screen). If I'm in a game, either tapping the screen or not it crashes. It crashes within 5 seconds or 5 it 15 minutes. As I said totally random. I know gba8 is basically identical and I have no problems with that one. I don't know if you know what's up but if you didn't I just told you :) its an inconvenience not a problem. Just keep doing good work.

I am sorry for your convenience. I have been trying to solve the crashing problem but so far has managed to find and fix only one cause. There are other mysterious causes that I cannot reproduce in debugging environment, yet they happen when i'm using the app for gaming. If you have any reliable way to reduce the crash, please tell me and I will fix them right away.

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

There is hope for linking now. I managed to make it work on the desktop version of VBA-M (desktop version, not windows 8 store). Now I will try to port it to windows phone, so no update in a while when i'm working on it.

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site

There is hope for linking now. I managed to make it work on the desktop version of VBA-M (desktop version, not windows 8 store). Now I will try to port it to windows phone, so no update in a while when i'm working on it.
how exactly does linking even work? Just wondering

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Re: Trio of Nintendo emulators. From Jan 10: No update while i'm working on linking.

In an emulator I mean

on desktop, you open 2 instances of the emulator, these 2 instances share some memory space and exchange data through the shared memory. Go to vbalink.info for more info and to download the emulator with functional linking.

on windows phone, the plan is to fire up 2 emulation threads, one for each device. The concern is whether the phone is powerful enough for this.

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Re: Trio of Nintendo emulators. From Jan 10: No update while i'm working on linking.

Do you have any idea of when Snes8x will update?

you mean for the new interface? I have not worked on it yet. If it's important, I can update snes8x then spend time on linking.

jvpalazzo

May 5, 2013
Visit site

Take your time, bro. You're doing a great job!
I have only one feature request: Instead of freezing the game screen on the GBA emulator when you leave the game, make an option for default cover, like the old emulator had.

Thank you!

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

Take your time, bro. You're doing a great job!
I have only one feature request: Instead of freezing the game screen on the GBA emulator when you leave the game, make an option for default cover, like the old emulator had.

Thank you!

there still is. setting -> general -> manual create screenshot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss