Trio of Nintendo emulators: VBA8, VGBC8 and Snes8x.

lovingfriendstar

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
Re: Trio of Nintendo emulators. NEW: Translation help needed.

Hi IllidanX,
I don't know if others have asked this question but since the VBA8 is based on VBA engine on Windows, I should be able to export save files from VBA8 on my phone and play them on my computer, or vice versa. Am I right? However, I think I'm doing something wrong and my VBA8 save files won't work on VBA on my computer. It would just show a blank screen with cyan like color. I haven't tested my computer save files on my phone though. What should I do to solve this problem? Is there anything I can do?

And I think I have read MS won't allow NDS emulators in store for some reason that such emulators use the same technique that viruses use. But is it possible to write an NDS emulator using that DynaRep (or something, I don't remember the name. Sorry.) engine in Visual Studio? If we can, how about releasing the app without submitting to store much like how BETA apps are distributed? Is it possible? Those who are interested in it can sideload it using the VS and its not that difficult anyways.
But even so, will it be possible to emulate DS games properly on Snapdragon S4 on Lumias? My iPad with iOS7 runs the games crappily and crashes a lot.

Thanks! Sorry for many questions. ��

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

Hi IllidanX,
I don't know if others have asked this question but since the VBA8 is based on VBA engine on Windows, I should be able to export save files from VBA8 on my phone and play them on my computer, or vice versa. Am I right? However, I think I'm doing something wrong and my VBA8 save files won't work on VBA on my computer. It would just show a blank screen with cyan like color. I haven't tested my computer save files on my phone though. What should I do to solve this problem? Is there anything I can do?

And I think I have read MS won't allow NDS emulators in store for some reason that such emulators use the same technique that viruses use. But is it possible to write an NDS emulator using that DynaRep (or something, I don't remember the name. Sorry.) engine in Visual Studio? If we can, how about releasing the app without submitting to store much like how BETA apps are distributed? Is it possible? Those who are interested in it can sideload it using the VS and its not that difficult anyways.
But even so, will it be possible to emulate DS games properly on Snapdragon S4 on Lumias? My iPad with iOS7 runs the games crappily and crashes a lot.

Thanks! Sorry for many questions. ��

Hi, first question. Only the .sav file (in-game save file) is compatible between two emulators.

Second question, I have not tried doing them yet. It is not a trivial thing to by-pass the restriction because MS tried very hard to make sure you don't accidentally use the forbidden API. The DynaRec engine in Visual Studio is to generate the managed code for the app, it's not usable in the app itself.

punkJD

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site

I'm only getting a black screen when trying to play pokemon mystery dungeon and harry potter and the goblet of fire

Enviado do meu Nexus 7 atrav?s de Tapatalk

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

I'm only getting a black screen when trying to play pokemon mystery dungeon and harry potter and the goblet of fire

I tested and have no problem with Pokemon mystery dungeon. Please try using another method to transfer the rom: skydrive, send through email, sd card.

punkJD

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site

I tested and have no problem with Pokemon mystery dungeon. Please try using another method to transfer the rom: skydrive, send through email, sd card.

Ok, i'll try that. Thanks

punkJD

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site

Tried to import through mail and it's still not working.
I'll try to download another file.

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

Tried to import through mail and it's still not working.
I'll try to download another file.

you have nexus 7 right? try that rom on android emulator to see what happens. If it does not work either then that rom is bad.

lovingfriendstar

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site

I see. Thanks for your reply, IllidanX. I have been trying to load up the save states... That must be why. 😃

MS is being overprotective LOL. I know there might be vulnerabilities if they let people use that code but I feel like it's just limiting the creativity and abilities. I do hope that will change soon and new APIs will come.

Btw, I second that post about design. Maybe you can let users set their own favorite background or use the screenshot from last played game instead of just showing a static photo.

Great work so far!

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

I see. Thanks for your reply, IllidanX. I have been trying to load up the save states... That must be why. ��

MS is being overprotective LOL. I know there might be vulnerabilities if they let people use that code but I feel like it's just limiting the creativity and abilities. I do hope that will change soon and new APIs will come.

Btw, I second that post about design. Maybe you can let users set their own favorite background or use the screenshot from last played game instead of just showing a static photo.

Great work so far!

do you mean the background of the app itself. You can already change it actually. It's in setting -> general.

FlavioV

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site

I saw that latest update from VBA8 and VGBC8 includes Portuguese language but both emulators still appear in English here. Maybe it's because I'm Brazilian and the translation is in European Portuguese.
Anyway, if you need help with pt-br translation I can help you with. :)

Also is there a way to link old Pokemon games from GB? I tried with Pokemon Red (me, VBA8) and Yellow (my brother, VBA-M from pg1) but although the emulators connect the girl at Pokecenter still block our way...

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

I saw that latest update from VBA8 and VGBC8 includes Portuguese language but both emulators still appear in English here. Maybe it's because I'm Brazilian and the translation is in European Portuguese.
Anyway, if you need help with pt-br translation I can help you with. :)

Also is there a way to link old Pokemon games from GB? I tried with Pokemon Red (me, VBA8) and Yellow (my brother, VBA-M from pg1) but although the emulators connect the girl at Pokecenter still block our way...

Thanks for reporting the issue. The translation is actually in Brazilian Portuguese but I put it as universal Portuguese so that all Portuguese speaking people can see it. It looks like the store interpret my intention in a different way. I will fix it.

There is unfortunately not a way to link gameboy game with VBA-M. I think there is a desktop program for gameboy link.

FlavioV

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for reporting the issue. The translation is actually in Brazilian Portuguese but I put it as universal Portuguese so that all Portuguese speaking people can see it. It looks like the store interpret my intention in a different way. I will fix it.

There is unfortunately not a way to link gameboy game with VBA-M. I think there is a desktop program for gameboy link.

Actually the updated appeared once again after rebooting my phone. Now it's up to date and fully translated. My mistake ^^'

It's ok about linking. Hope there's a fix for it anytime. We're gonna probably play the GBA remakes instead lol

Thanks for mantaining these great emulators :-D

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

Actually the updated appeared once again after rebooting my phone. Now it's up to date and fully translated. My mistake ^^'

It's ok about linking. Hope there's a fix for it anytime. We're gonna probably play the GBA remakes instead lol

Thanks for mantaining these great emulators :-D

It's good to hear that you can see the translation. About linking gameboy color games, it's not a bug but VBA-M never supports it in the first place :(. To link gameboy color games, you need to use an entirely different emulator, for example, this one: BGB GameBoy Emulator (current version: BGB 1.4.3)

Usama Jawad96

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site

Hello,can a live tile be programmed by a dev to show all games of the emulator instead of the 5 most recent or does that right belong to Microsoft?? :)

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

Hello,can a live tile be programmed by a dev to show all games of the emulator instead of the 5 most recent or does that right belong to Microsoft?? :)

The hard limit is 9 but the app currently only uses up to 5 (I think).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99