Trio of Nintendo emulators: VBA8, VGBC8 and Snes8x.

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Dear illidanx,

Could you, please, clarify one question. When I am running Pokemon (2 generation - gold silver crystal) - turbo mode works fine (set frame skip param to 4 the result fps is about 45), but when I am trying to enable the same turbo mode on Pokemon (3 generation fire red leaf green or emerald) - fpps falls down to 10-15 value. Is it caused by hardware? I tried on bouth vba8 and vba10 on my Lumia 830 and got the same result.

The nature of turbo mode is that the app will emulate more instructions per frames, which needs more power. When the cpu reaches its limit and the app try to emulate more per frame, the frame rate drop downs. In 2nd generation pokemon games, the cpu requirement is lower, so the cpu does not reach its limit.

juanelo11

Aug 17, 2015
Visit site
Sorry for the late response but yes, as someone else already mention, that will be usefull for games like Metroid and phones that doesn't have a physical camera button.
Will wait for VBA10 then. Thanks!

ScorpZero

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
I've got a strange problem with emulator and I hope that someone know how to fix it.

When I play any rom everything seems to run fine but sometimes I encounter a little, strange freezes. They're just for two or maybe three seconds, when everything stops and then again runs fine. I've not met any other problems like with sound or something else but just like this one. Well, it looks a bit like when game trying to autosave but I already disabled this option (I hope so), so then I totally dont know how to solve it. I've tried to change some settings like enable 30 Hz refresh rate etc. but it didn't help.

My phone is Nokia Lumia 735. I've also observed that this problem is not occuring when I'm playing on Purple Cherry emulator. There is everying runs fine without any freezes but I really want to use VBA8, because of some better resolutions for me comparing to his rival, like faster access to making quicksaves, etc.

I'd be grateful for any help because I couldn't be able to find any solution via google. :(

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I've got a strange problem with emulator and I hope that someone know how to fix it.

When I play any rom everything seems to run fine but sometimes I encounter a little, strange freezes. They're just for two or maybe three seconds, when everything stops and then again runs fine. I've not met any other problems like with sound or something else but just like this one. Well, it looks a bit like when game trying to autosave but I already disabled this option (I hope so), so then I totally dont know how to solve it. I've tried to change some settings like enable 30 Hz refresh rate etc. but it didn't help.

My phone is Nokia Lumia 735. I've also observed that this problem is not occuring when I'm playing on Purple Cherry emulator. There is everying runs fine without any freezes but I really want to use VBA8, because of some better resolutions for me comparing to his rival, like faster access to making quicksaves, etc.

I'd be grateful for any help because I couldn't be able to find any solution via google. :(

You are storing the app on SD Card? By default, his app automatically create a snapshot every 1 minute or so. That may be the cause of the freeze. You can try disabling it by go to settings and check Manually create snapshot title.

ScorpZero

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your answer. :)

Yes, I was storing it on SD Card. Disabling it didn't help BUT moving whole app from SD Card to a device storage did it well at least and problem seems to be solved. :D Later I'll try to experiment with this further but at first glance seems that it's something wrong with SD Card.

Anyway, problem is solved. Thanks you again. :)

Jenny Zu

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Hello, is there a real time clock option anywhere in vba8 for windows phone? The internal battery error in Pokemon emerald is driving me nuts.

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Hello, is there a real time clock option anywhere in vba8 for windows phone? The internal battery error in Pokemon emerald is driving me nuts.

I'm not sure what version of emerald you are playing but real time clock is supposed to be enabled automatically for emerald. I played it myself and have never encountered the error.

wlupus

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
The nature of turbo mode is that the app will emulate more instructions per frames, which needs more power. When the cpu reaches its limit and the app try to emulate more per frame, the frame rate drop downs. In 2nd generation pokemon games, the cpu requirement is lower, so the cpu does not reach its limit.

Thanks for responce. I wonder why my old Nokia N95-2 with 332 MHz Dual ARM 11 processor released at 2008 launched gba Pokemons (emerald, leaf green and so on) without such a sharp decrease of fps and much smoother and faster than my Lumia 830 released at 2014 with much more powerful processor? Technological degradation, isn't it?

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for responce. I wonder why my old Nokia N95-2 with 332 MHz Dual ARM 11 processor released at 2008 launched gba Pokemons (emerald, leaf green and so on) without such a sharp decrease of fps and much smoother and faster than my Lumia 830 released at 2014 with much more powerful processor? Technological degradation, isn't it?

Vba8 and vba10 are based on vba which was written for desktop. Vba is all about emulation accuracy, speed is the last thing it cares about.

wlupus

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Vba8 and vba10 are based on vba which was written for desktop. Vba is all about emulation accuracy, speed is the last thing it cares about.

Am I understand right, that vba will be more productive on x86 processors? On my old Pentium 2 with 333 Mhz and 128 Mb RAM it still works fine, without any decrease of fps =)

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Am I understand right, that vba will be more productive on x86 processors? On my old Pentium 2 with 333 Mhz and 128 Mb RAM it still works fine, without any decrease of fps =)

There are some x86 aseembly codes in vba that can not be used on ARM phone and have to be replaced by c++ equivalent. Probably that's the reason.

Jenny Zu

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I'm not sure what version of emerald you are playing but real time clock is supposed to be enabled automatically for emerald. I played it myself and have never encountered the error.

How do I find out what version I have? I downloaded the rom from this result, which should be the first if you search "pokemon emerald rom" in google: "Pokemon - Emerald Version (UE).zip - Roms". The rom is from doperoms. com.
Edit: It appears to be version 10. Or something like that. At least that's what the vba emulator said when it said it couldn't open the file.

Last edited:

nesspj

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I recently bought a 8bitdo SFC30/SNES30 controller. Will you add support for these controllers to SNES8x?
That would be awesome!

Dirtbagmaverick

Jul 4, 2016
Visit site
Re: Trio of Nintendo emulators returned to the windows phone store

I'm playing Pokemon Yellow, but I have encountered a problem. I have no clue what the " start button " is or how to assign one. Same for the select button. I'm using vba8.

Konstantin K

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Hello to everyone.
I've found 2 issues on VBA10 app:
* exporting saved files will cutoff "+" character (if original rom file name contains that plus "+" char);
* can export but can not Import save files (.sgm file), error: "Could not find a matching ROM name".
where I can submit this issues? maybe some bugtracker?

keathkeath

Mar 4, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

Is the DS emulator still impossible?

I have already finished all Pokemon gen 3 games and I really want to play Pokemon gen 4 onward games.

Konstantin K

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Hey everybody.
As I understood, @illdanx has gone and there is no support for vba8/vba10/snes8x emulators.
But currently I've found Win64e10 emulator that has VERY similar interface to VBA10
apps.5973.13510798887417816.ca8f147e-13d3-4a08-bc92-967584d24769.99281924-02ce-42db-bed2-e2cbc92600e0

I think that @illdanx now works on Win64e10 with MobWi team, or @illdanx just give sources of vba10 to them

Ben Levi Giron

May 4, 2015
Visit site
Hey everybody.
As I understood, @illdanx has gone and there is no support for vba8/vba10/snes8x emulators.
But currently I've found Win64e10 emulator that has VERY similar interface to VBA10
https://store-images.s-microsoft.co...-02ce-42db-bed2-e2cbc92600e0?w=472&h=788&q=60
I think that @illdanx now works on Win64e10 with MobWi team, or @illdanx just give sources of vba10 to them

Well, thanks for the news! I really like what illdanx made with his apps so I hope he's good.

Since you showed a capture of the Win64e10 emulator I'm assuming that you've tried it. Can you tell me how is it?

Cheers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss