FileEx for Windows Phone 8.1

mzetko

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Hello WPCentral friends,

today my app FileEx went live - FileEx | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States) . I know many file managers for Windows Phone 8.1 are now available, but I hope this will be an interesting option, too - whether now or in near future. The app is available in English and Czech language, but I'm seekigfo more translations, if you are willing to help, it would be awesome :) !

7.png
834db0ca-18bc-4d27-88c5-6ec30c061e3f

Nice thing about FileEx now is that it supports batch file operations, so you can select and copy, move and delete multiple files and structures of folders at once. It also has support for simple batch renaming multiple files. Every operation is safe and you are always asked if you want to overwrite or merge with existing files and folders.

Important thing to say is that the app is now in its first version, so nothing is really set in stone or definite (esecially UI, see below :) ), I will make sure to improve everything you need according to your suggestions. To say the truth, I already have some suggestions from first users, so here is what will be added in next updates:

- integrated OneDrive ( + some other cloud services you will point out :smile: )
- mix in a little bit of Cortana :smile:

I will extremely happy to see any suggestions from you all, any feedback (even harsh one :smile: ) is extremely important to me :) !
One more question for you: Is anyone interested in helping me with localization into their native language? I would be very happy to translate the app into as many languages as possible :smile: .

Edit: Please join FileEx Facebook page in case you like the app. I will post all updates and news about the app there - https://www.facebook.com/pages/FileEx/690529307679623

Edit: I started a UserVoice page for FileEx so you have a convenient way to suggest new features and ideas! Go to https://fileex.uservoice.com/

Last edited:

mzetko

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Thank you very much sd173, but I'm sure you can find some things that need improvements or you have some ideas on additional features :) . Let me know about anything :) .

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Thank you very much sd173, but I'm sure you can find some things that need improvements or you have some ideas on additional features :) . Let me know about anything :) .

I actually just looked at the screenshots from the marketplace. I'm planning on downloading it when I get my 1520 and put 8.1 on it (hopefully this weekend, or sometime soon), so I can give you more feedback then.

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
I downloaded it right now. The user interface is pretty good. Not great though but I can forgive you that easily considering the functionality you provide. I will test it a bit more over the week and periodically give you feedback via the forum or e mail, whichever is easier for you.
I'm a non earning college student so don't expect me to buy it yet. I will buy it once I get a coupon from Bing rewards.

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
Some suggestions:
Related to Interface:
1. Try to make the app name on top smaller or show it as a watermark behind the content to save space and use it better.
2. The Choose Folders option should be visible only if the user has no favourite folders or for the first time they run the app. Later it should go to the three dots menu (WHICH YOU SHOULD ADD, IT's A VERY IMPORTANT PART OF METRO DESIGN).
3. The Show favourite folders option should also go to the menu as people won't use it often.
4. Enable selecting things by holding on them.
5. Provide a "back" button on top right to enable going to previous view.

Features:
1. Try adding a search option. Would make it absolutely good.
2. Add the functionality to take over downloads from IE and allow us to place them anywhere we want. (NOT NECESAARY, but it could become a very posotive point for yuour app)
3. Add a share section inside the premium features page to allow sharing the app link by message, whatsapp, facebook, and other things like that. Helps your app grow.

IDEA FOR NEW LAYOUT:
Swiping to right should show you recent files, folders and another swipe to right should show you add favourite folders option and another swipe should take you to the page with your contact details, share options, rate and review options, like on fb etc.
Settings should be present on the menu.

I will point out other things after I use it more. AND YOUR AD's ARE NOT WORKING RIGHT NOW. You may miss on your income from the ads.

mzetko

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Hello Ashhar,

thank you for quick reply with suggestions :) .

Interface:
1. Will do.
2. Choose folder option will go as a button to app bar.
3. Show favorites will go there as well. The App bar is not yet on the main page, because for some reason it caused problems during navigation to other pages. I'm not 100 % sure, but it might be a bug in Windows Phone 8.1.
4. Alright :) . I was thinking about adding the "tap left" to select and hold for context menu, will see what will work best.
5. Back button is already there in my current dev version :) .

Features:
1. Search function is on my checklist for next releases
2. That should work actually. When you download a file and select Save, it should save the file in Downloads in Phone or on SD Card, from which you can move it anywhere. Or am I wrong?
3. Great, will do that too.

New layout:
Yes, I will move the settings and probably the about page to app bar too.

Ads - that ball is really on Microsoft's side now, they mentioned that it can take up to 24 hours after first release for ads to start showing up, so hope that will be the case :) .

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
I know that we can move after downloading, but to as a little more punch to the app, maybe you can try it (I don't think it's easy though, asked a friend of mine about it, but hey, who knows).
I found the back button, thanks!
I didn't know ads worked that way.
In the end all we want are good features but not at the cost of stability.
And just to let people know what app they are using, you could maybe mention the name in the splash screen at the start. Loving it and eagerly waiting for a release.
PS: I contacted WP central guys to give your apps review keeping in mind that this is a first release. Keep an eye out.

mzetko

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Thank you very much Ashhar! It is great to see that you help me so actively improving the app :) ! I will make sure you will be happy with upcoming updates :) .

The back button will be added in the version the will be released next, it will work very similarly to that in OneNote app on Windows Phone.

Great idea about splash screen, wondering why I did not place it there in the first place :-D .

Thank you again!

PS: I didn't know ads work that way either before, but it was clarified to me when I asked support :) .

mzetko

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
First update based on your feedback is coming tomorrow, hope the certification will be quick!
Includes:
- Numerous UI fixes
- Performance improvements
- Better navigation

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
Downloaded it just now. The interface looks a lot more clean now and the app is noticeably fast (I have about 80 folders and they have about total of 700 songs in my Music folder, and it opens in an instant). One thing though, if there are too many files in a folder then it doesn't load all files until I scroll to the bottom which IS A VERY GOOD THING because it allows the app to be fast.
The back button is very neatly placed and the icons for folders are also great.
I can upload any file now to OneDrive which is great.
The app bar is also looking great.
No bug so far apart from a problem with OneDrive. I was uploading a 50MB video to OneDrive from your app and both the apps crashed. I think it's a problem with the low RAM on my Lumia 520 AND OneDrive also. Because the two other explorers also couldn't finish the upload first time. I had to try again and again.
I'm loving the app right now.
The splash screen also looks good.
Unfortunately ads are still not working.

One UI bug though. When I hold a file and let it go, the screen flashes and if I repeat that suppose 2 times, I need to press back button two times to go back. If I did it three times, I needed back button 3 times. Not anything major but it would be great if you could look into it.
The app resumes also very fast. I like it.

One feature suggestion, will post on uservoice also, add option to create new files (word, excel, powerpoint and other formats (.txt) for which apps are present). When we select word file, Word should open with a blank new file and so on. It would be good but I don't think many people will actually use it.

mzetko

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
RE: Ashhar
Thank you for such nice words Ashhar :) !
How exactly did you start the upload to OneDrive? Via sharing?

The UI bug - true! Because I had to manually "hack in" the left side multiselection start (as it is unfortunately not possible directly from the new API) I also somehow caused this behavior, I will look into it :) .

New files - I will definitely add this option :) .

Thank you so much for your feedback!

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
Yes, sharing works great. The new API are great. I uploaded a video to facebook through the app, uploaded a video to OneDrive. The new sharing setup is very good. MS did a good job.

mzetko

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Even though official file explorer for Windows Phone 8.1 was announced today, I want to make clear that FileEx is not going anywhere and will keep on being developed. I think it will be able to compete in some ways at least. I'm now working hard on OneDrive/Dropbox integration for FileEx, hope to be able to release by the end of next week. Before that, you can expect a bugfix/performance improvement/design update on Monday.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel