[25K DOWNLOADS!] [Free] Atmosphere Weather - Official Thread

Kevin N Smith

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
test.PNG Atmosphere (Weather)
A beautiful, simplistic, and free weather app that still manages to provide users with some of the most accurate, advanced, and the most weather data. From moon data to knowing - by the mile - how far away a storm is and then tracking it using our radar, Atmosphere manages to be loaded with features yet remain simple and minimalist in nature. It's time to experience beautiful weather, even when it's raining outside.

** We have reached 25,000 downloads today, and we continue to acquire new users at a pace of about 1,000 every 3 days (Increased tenfold once we made it free). We thank everyone who has been involved with this project since the beginning for helping it become a success.

"When you launch Atmosphere Weather for the first time, it?s hard not to take a moment to stare in disbelief."
- Windows Phone Daily

"In a Store crammed with excellent forecasting apps, Atmosphere still manages to impress. "
- WPCentral

#5 Top Paid app in the USA (August 2014)
Featured over 250 times across hundreds of markets.
Tens of thousands of downloads and counting.
- Microsoft

Download
Atmosphere is now free to download. No longer do you have to pay 0.99c to change your theme color, nor do you have to keep declining upgrade prompts. Now, all you have to do is press the download button, open the app, and experience it. We only charge you for premium radar features (Such as fronts data, custom tileservers), and Time Machine, our historic weather service.

Download links:
Windows Phone Store (free)
Windows Store (Windows 8.1 Only, 0.99)
Love Atmosphere? Give the app a review and tell the world.

Follow us on Twitter:
Get the latest on Appfinity, the developers behind Atmosphere:
https://twitter.com/appfinitywp

Screenshots
wp_ss_20150422_0013.pngwp_ss_20150422_0006.jpgwp_ss_20150422_0010.pngwp_ss_20150423_0002.png

Last edited:

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Re: Atmosphere is coming soon, a clean but full-featured weather app. Want to improve the UI?

I think more icons will make it visually appealing than just plain text in the weekly forecast. You could use a drop-down picker or the sections of a panorama page for weather from multiple locations. I think the Segoe UI Light font or similar would be nicer for the big temperature bit, and also if you could add the ability to choose from which sources to get weather data that would be awesome!!! Are you planning for this to be a paid, free or paid with trial app? Looks pretty sweet so far!!

Brad Lambert

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: Atmosphere is coming soon, a clean but full-featured weather app. Want to improve the UI?

I personally love the typography work here. You have the UI of a fantastic Modern app here. I happen to love the display of sun rise and set times in Yahoo Weather or its clone Weatherfrog on WP. I've never used either, only seen pictures. Attached is an example. Other than that I love it!

aga2u6yz

PS: Does it use data provided from forecast.io?

Brad L.
Nokia Lumia 1520

Kevin N Smith

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Atmosphere is coming soon, a clean but full-featured weather app. Want to imp...

It will be 0.99 with trial. I was going to do ads, but IMO that degraded the experience.

The improved sunrise/sunset animation was actually there in an earlier version and was taken out for technical reasons. I could try to reimplement it.

Data is from open weather map, forecast.io options could be added in another update.

Also, I can add more icons.

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums

sejgiul

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site

We have enough weather apps as it is. Develop something else

Kevin N Smith

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site

I can put my own take on it and develop whatever I want. If you want to suggest something more of your interests for future projects, go ahead.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
HD resolutions of radar for those who have higher end devices

Next Rad Radar .....really a must for those of us who live in the Tornado Alleys

Overlays of the various maps available like cloud heights,wind shear,outflows

Without these it's like most the rest of a simple forecast apps available.

If you need a beta tester let me know 😊

Mac

Kevin N Smith

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site

Hd Radar will be there. Idk about the other things yet as that would certainly push back the release.

Bluffking

May 30, 2014
Visit site

If you want to make this a serious weather app and not just one of many that tells you the weather then you need to include Level2 radar data and the TDWR stations as well. I would gladly pay for an app that gives me all the Level2 radar data that is available on a clean and adjustable UI.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site

Hd Radar will be there. Idk about the other things yet as that would certainly push back the release.

If you need to ppush back the release a little,then I feel that would be a better way of doing this. Otherwise there won't be much difference between your app and others already available.

A pretty iinterface is nice,but,real time storm tracking and being able to see what is taking place with each storm is worth the wait,and cost .
Mac

Brad Lambert

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site

Since when does the Windows Phone community tell a developer not to develop? Seriously guys, there is always room for options and improvements. We rely on third-party devs to advance our platform.

I, for one, can't wait for this release. All of the aforementioned features are not worth a delayed release anymore than my affinity for forecast.io's local forecasting.

The UI is incredible, I really do think that the reincorporation of the sunrise/sunset animation would be well received. Additional icons should be implemented cleverly. Remember that the Modern UI is based in one's content as the graphics.

Kevin N Smith

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site

@joe
I agree, here's a sample of what the weather looks like using Segoe in it's lightest setting:
suilight.PNG

Also changed the pressure to MBAR as it is more widely known. I am still deciding if it is worthwile to implement multiple locations. Note that I have to pick and choose, I can't implement the whole thread's suggestions on 1.0.

Kevin N Smith

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site

Since when does the Windows Phone community tell a developer not to develop? Seriously guys, there is always room for options and improvements. We rely on third-party devs to advance our platform.

I, for one, can't wait for this release. All of the aforementioned features are not worth a delayed release anymore than my affinity for forecast.io's local forecasting.

The UI is incredible, I really do think that the reincorporation of the sunrise/sunset animation would be well received. Additional icons should be implemented cleverly. Remember that the Modern UI is based in one's content as the graphics.

I have reimplemented the sunrise/sunset animations after fixing the previously broken sunrise/sunset times. (I'm going to add the sun shortly) They now adjust based on time zone and DST as they were supposed to, this is much harder then it sounds and took up an hour of my time.

Looking into adding UV index, I could see this being somewhat useful.

I have always prefered graphs/"interactive" types of data representation instead of icons. I could mix both together and create an icon that adjusts based on current conditions. Don't want to overload the UI however. Most obvious need for an icon would be the sunrise/sunset time.
srss.PNG

Last edited:

Kevin N Smith

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site

Delaying release for the time being to switch to Forecast.io. Seems to be much more accurate and is extremely cheap.
So far:
- Radar is done
- Live tile is WIP
- Rain %'s need to be fixed
- Everything else DONE

Bluffking

May 30, 2014
Visit site

Delaying release for the time being to switch to Forecast.io. Seems to be much more accurate and is extremely cheap.
So far:
- Radar is done
- Live tile is WIP
- Rain %'s need to be fixed
- Everything else DONE

When you say radar, can you be more specific? I would pay up to 10 dollars for an app with all Level2 radar data and the TDWR stations included. Of course I'm probably in the minority.

Kevin N Smith

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site

Just regular sat/radar, going to be HD (Hopefully) with a map. I could implement that kind of thing, but the amount of API calls I would have to make would simply make it a loss

Bluffking

May 30, 2014
Visit site

Just regular sat/radar, going to be HD (Hopefully) with a map. I could implement that kind of thing, but the amount of API calls I would have to make would simply make it a loss

Ok thanks for responding. Will the TDWR stations be included? Sorry to bother you, I am just curious. If they are I'm definitely buying it, especially at 99 cents. Usually the data I was referring to jacks up the price of the app anyway (the ones that exist on Android and IOS are around 10 dollars.)

sp8y

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site

For UK users can you implement a feature in settings that takes into account the mix of metric & imperial units that we use over here that many other apps don't cater for. So a simple choice between metric or Imperial would be no good.

For instance UK use:
MPH for wind speed, miles for distance, degrees "C" for temps, mbar for pressure, MM for rain/snow depth.

Good choice on the forecast.io data as they pull info from UK met office & this is regarded as being the most accurate fro the UK.

Looking good so far & I will definitely give it a try when released.

Kevin N Smith

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Atmosphere is coming soon, a clean but full-featured weather app. Want to imp...

Ok thanks for responding. Will the TDWR stations be included? Sorry to bother you, I am just curious. If they are I'm definitely buying it, especially at 99 cents. Usually the data I was referring to jacks up the price of the app anyway (the ones that exist on Android and IOS are around 10 dollars.)

I'll look into that, I haven't done so yet. I don't want to promise something that I have yet to research. And you are right, I would have to triple (or more ) the app price or I'd risk taking a loss on the app as id have to pay a lot of money for an API.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05