Flickrology - The Windows 8.1 app for all things Flickr

TheMasterPT

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
So, here's what I know to be my best app, Flickrology:

Flickrology closes the gap between the Flickr website and a native Windows 8.1 experience, in order to bring together the beautiful Modern UI and the most important photo service in the world. It is the most complete Windows 8.1 native Flickr client, making use of a great part of the Flickr API, while at the same time delivering innovative features that Flickr doesn't provide, such as shortcut management, integrated hub pages, statistic charts, customized live tiles, page transitions, amongst others.

Features (as shown in the store app):

• Beautiful panorama-based app
  • Pagination and incremental loading support
  • Search support, inside and outside of the app: photos, groups and users
  • Charts for data analysis
  • Pin content to start screen (NEW!)
  • Live tile with custom photo sources
  • Maps supported by Bing Maps
  • Shortcut management
  • Organize (like Flickr)
  • Manage all Flickr content (photos, galleries, photosets, groups, discussion topics, etc.)
  • Image and video support
  • Save photo to local storage and OneDrive
  • Upload to photostream, group and photoset
  • Share support (upload from another app) (NEW!)
  • Photo editor
  • Page transitions
  • Unauthenticated mode
  • Language support (English and Portuguese)
  • Flickr Pro free access
  • Notifications
Screenshots (as shown in the store app):

screenshot_01192015_225914.jpg

screenshot_01192015_230120.jpg

screenshot_01192015_230147.jpg

screenshot_01192015_230944.jpg

screenshot_01192015_231138.png

screenshot_01192015_231240.png

screenshot_01192015_231406.png

screenshot_01192015_231449.jpg

screenshot_01192015_231633.jpg

The app was already featured in WPCentral on March'14, but the review was based on version 2.5, which was a long time ago in terms of what I have been doing with Flickrology (the current version is 5.0!). Anyone who has tried the app before (namely at that time) should definitely try it again. I can never really understand how the app already does so much and every month or so I figure out new features to include in it.

The Store link is Flickrology app for Windows in the Windows Store.

I hope that I get a little more visibility for this app (funny thing this is not even my most successful app) and I hope I get meaningful and clever suggestions as to how I can improve it.

Thank you.

Last edited:

TheMasterPT

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Nice work. There's a lot going on in here, must've taken you a long time!

Good morning.

You are correct in both things.

Development for the app started in March 2013 and the first release in the store was in June 2013. It was my first app done more seriously and I chose Flickr because I really like the service (although I wish I had more time to use it and photography in general) and it still didn't have a good enough app in the Windows Store. In September 2013 I ported the app to Windows Phone 8 (the code was still "manageable") but I found the adherence to that version very small compared to the Windows version, even though IMO it was also unmatched in Windows Phone.

At the beginning of 2014 I took the hard decision of ceasing to support the Windows Phone 8 version because I would focus on Windows 8 apps in general, i.e., I would be creating new apps besides Flickrology. It was at that time that I made the first great update to Flickrology (2.5), which WPCentral has reviewed in March 2014. Ever since I have been developing my apps pretty much everyday and I create a new release for Flickrology almost every month, trying to squeeze the API a little more or making use of platform-specific features (semantic zoom, live tiles, contracts, etc.). It is clearly my spotlight app because, although not my most successful one, it is the one I'm most proud of.

The app is really thorough when it comes to all the different concepts that are related to Flickr, i.e., there isn't much you can do in the website that the app can't (and Flickr is HUGE) and, as I said in the main post, my app can actually do some things that the website cannot. I believe that my app can really be used for the large majority of Flickr use cases and replace the web scenario almost entirely, but its objective was never around that but rather work alongside the website.

Clearly if I was to get a paycheck for the time I have spent in Flickrology I wouldn't need to work for a year or something lolol...

Thank you for your support.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I am looking at your app - fantastic write up!

I do have some concerns about the authorization :

Access - you have access to my private content - ok makes sense for me to use it
Upload, Edit and Replace - why would I want you to be able to do that? I understand Yahoo has this access because the own the site. But why would this app do that?

Beyond that the UI is basically the desktop screen - which while fully functional - really hard to see.

I did log in and went to one of my albums - and the banner show, but pictures - nothing has shown up yet - all grey boxes. Then it bounced back to the main page, then back to the main app page asking me to authorize again.

So I am not rating it yet. Because I can't get it to work

You have obviously put in a lot of effort, and see the value of Flickr. And I really want to support your work - I appreciate a solid developer!

Please address my concerns, perhaps I can help you with some testing.

Thanks,

Mr. V

TheMasterPT

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

I am looking at your app - fantastic write up!

I do have some concerns about the authorization :

Access - you have access to my private content - ok makes sense for me to use it
Upload, Edit and Replace - why would I want you to be able to do that? I understand Yahoo has this access because the own the site. But why would this app do that?

Beyond that the UI is basically the desktop screen - which while fully functional - really hard to see.

I did log in and went to one of my albums - and the banner show, but pictures - nothing has shown up yet - all grey boxes. Then it bounced back to the main page, then back to the main app page asking me to authorize again.

So I am not rating it yet. Because I can't get it to work

You have obviously put in a lot of effort, and see the value of Flickr. And I really want to support your work - I appreciate a solid developer!

Please address my concerns, perhaps I can help you with some testing.

Thanks,

Mr. V

Good afternoon.

After getting in contact with this user, I realized that he had downloaded and used the Windows Phone 8 version of Flickrology. I don't know how much of this matter is perceived in the original post, but I advise against using Flickrology in WP8 (and notice that I didn't write WP8.1), since development of that version has ceased a long time ago.

Currently, I cannot say if, or when, I'll return to WP again, but I'll definitely pay attention to the new development capabilities around Windows 10, which will surely enable me to quickly and much more easily port what I have on Windows 8.1.

Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss