Dunkin' Donuts fans rejoice! DunkinWP app

soloist_huaxin

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
For those who don't live in Northeast US, Dunkin Donuts is a coffee&donuts chain that is almost ritual-like here in New England. And in this day&age, like many other businesses, they have loyalty program, and an app for that. Problem is, like many other businesses, there's no app for WP.

After years of using a screenshot from another OS for scanning my dunkin card, and no easy way to check my reward progress/get my free drink/use coupon, I'm finally sick of this and decided to do something about it. Enter DunkinWP:

https://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/dunkinwp/1f40827b-c3dc-46b5-96e0-3ba9064f87ee

It lets you see your registered DD card, and generate QR code for the scanner at register, check your DDPerks progress, get your reward coupon(free drink when you get 200 pts) and see the DDPerks offer that doesn't require a QR code. I could add mobile coupon(as in, location-based offer, NFL team-win offer, etc etc), but I'm afraid that this will get me into deeper water legally as I'm already reverse-engineering their API.

You could probably tell that the UI is beyond ugly. Not much I can do about it, I'm an engineer working in Semiconductor, not an artist. So any UI help is appreciated. Same goes for any suggestions/comments/critics/lawyer demands...

Finally, WP runs on Dunkin' too.

Kevin N Smith

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Looks (I mean works) nice. I was furious after switching from iPhone when I realized I no longer could receive discounted Coolattas :). I live in Pennsylvania btw.

Anyway, I am the designer/dev of atmosphere, that highly acclaimed and beautiful weather app. I could redesign the app for you assuming I could get something out of it (Is it monetized?). Additionally, my graphic designer would be happy to create you a worthy logo.

soloist_huaxin

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Looks (I mean works) nice. I was furious after switching from iPhone when I realized I no longer could receive discounted Coolattas :). I live in Pennsylvania btw.

Anyway, I am the designer/dev of atmosphere, that highly acclaimed and beautiful weather app. I could redesign the app for you assuming I could get something out of it (Is it monetized?). Additionally, my graphic designer would be happy to create you a worthy logo.

Someone actually left a comment on my blog about them Eagles-win-free-coffees he/she is missing...guess it's big there too. I don't travel much but from what I see here in MA it's definitely a ritual thing. As for discounted coolattas, well if it's a mobile coupon that requires you scan a separate QR then you're out of luck unfortunately, since I don't want to get myself into deeper water than I'm already treading in.

That weather app looks nice. I'm not sure about what I can afford/am willing to compensate a pro like you, since I'm just doing this for fun and my personal need, not trying to get rich doing this nor this is/will be my profession. As for monetization, there is a small ad banner but that's it. Eventually there might be a IAP to remove it. As you can probably tell, I'm not good at any of this app dev thing, so if you can point me to some good XAML tutorial that would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin N Smith

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
It's massive here in PA. The Coolata thing is just something that I used to get on my iPhone once an awhile for having the app installed, and did not require a QR code. I'm assuming it is supported in the app but will check later once I finally get it running on my device.

Legally, I could see this app having some issues, but the most DD probably would do is make you delist and remove the app from the store. Therefore, i'm reluctant to put much effort into improving an app that could be removed from the store at any moment. The only thing that would make it worthwhile on my end is if I received all revenue generated, in such case I would be very active in the development of the app and maintain it as often as I do Atmosphere.

Anyway, based on the limited messing around I have done with the app, the backend code looks relatively solid, although there are a few things I notice that create a jarring UX without messing with the code (Chiefly, the fact that I have to find the login screen - it should be presented to you before you can actually use the app). If you would like to improve the UI yourself, i'd recommend getting an edition of visual studio that includes Blend. Blend is a visual XAML design and animation program, created by Microsoft, that will allow you to create a good UI without knowing XAML extensively.

Also, how did you reverse-engineer the API? Fiddler with an Android/iPhone? I'd assume they would use some kind of key system for security, but then again, they might not have expected something like this to happen.

soloist_huaxin

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
It's massive here in PA. The Coolata thing is just something that I used to get on my iPhone once an awhile for having the app installed, and did not require a QR code. I'm assuming it is supported in the app but will check later once I finally get it running on my device.

Legally, I could see this app having some issues, but the most DD probably would do is make you delist and remove the app from the store. Therefore, i'm reluctant to put much effort into improving an app that could be removed from the store at any moment. The only thing that would make it worthwhile on my end is if I received all revenue generated, in such case I would be very active in the development of the app and maintain it as often as I do Atmosphere.

Anyway, based on the limited messing around I have done with the app, the backend code looks relatively solid, although there are a few things I notice that create a jarring UX without messing with the code (Chiefly, the fact that I have to find the login screen - it should be presented to you before you can actually use the app). If you would like to improve the UI yourself, i'd recommend getting an edition of visual studio that includes Blend. Blend is a visual XAML design and animation program, created by Microsoft, that will allow you to create a good UI without knowing XAML extensively.

Also, how did you reverse-engineer the API? Fiddler with an Android/iPhone? I'd assume they would use some kind of key system for security, but then again, they might not have expected something like this to happen.

If you see that promo without using a QR code, then whenever it runs again you should be able to get it using whatever DD card you registered.

Fair enough. I would do the same if I were in your position.

I have Blend, and I'll definitely look into it. wasn't putting too much effort into UI/UX.

They might have some key system from what I see, but apparently it's easy enough to work around it. I used Fiddler. I was surprised to see that as well.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, I'll grab a copy of that before DD corporate lawyers get wind of it.

Good luck to you (from the author of unofficial Hobby Lobby, Joann Fabrics, and Michaels, only one of which still exists)

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for support! Do you mean their lawyers actually asked you to delist the app?
In one case I got a notice from Microsoft where the company had reported the app as infringing. In the other case, I got a rather nasty letter from their lawyers threatening to sue me. In all cases, I had checked beforehand through their customer support organizations and gotten confirmation that they had no plans whatsoever to support Windows Phone now or in the future. The descriptions of my apps stated clearly that if the company ever did launch an official app, I would discontinue mine and inform its users that they should switch.

The same two companies panicked and instantly launched a WP app. One is actually pretty good, the other is a laughable web wrapper which is less functional than the one I made with AppStudio. The third, I think still doesn't know what Windows is or that there are apps available for it.

If I had the resources, I would love to fight one of these companies in court, get them to explain exactly how it causes them harm, when an independent developer makes a very much plainly described as not official app which supports their company and gives their customers more convenient ways to spend more money with that company. And my app was nothing more than a web browser, built with AppStudio. Imagine what they would have done if it was actually something useful.

I guess I can consider my efforts successful, in that I have gotten 66% of the companies I targeted to build an official Windows Phone app where none existed before.

soloist_huaxin

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
In one case I got a notice from Microsoft where the company had reported the app as infringing. In the other case, I got a rather nasty letter from their lawyers threatening to sue me. In all cases, I had checked beforehand through their customer support organizations and gotten confirmation that they had no plans whatsoever to support Windows Phone now or in the future. The descriptions of my apps stated clearly that if the company ever did launch an official app, I would discontinue mine and inform its users that they should switch.

The same two companies panicked and instantly launched a WP app. One is actually pretty good, the other is a laughable web wrapper which is less functional than the one I made with AppStudio. The third, I think still doesn't know what Windows is or that there are apps available for it.

If I had the resources, I would love to fight one of these companies in court, get them to explain exactly how it causes them harm, when an independent developer makes a very much plainly described as not official app which supports their company and gives their customers more convenient ways to spend more money with that company. And my app was nothing more than a web browser, built with AppStudio. Imagine what they would have done if it was actually something useful.

I guess I can consider my efforts successful, in that I have gotten 66% of the companies I targeted to build an official Windows Phone app where none existed before.

Thanks for sharing. Not sure my case would ever make it that big, but if it ever does, I hope my effort can push them to build an official one.

BlazeBlue

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Is there anyway to get this app back. I had it then I had to restore back to factory settings, and without knowing that this app is no longer available. Help me please. I also thank the developer on his website.

soloist_huaxin

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
What happened to this app. so disappointed.

Dev here. Basically I got the better version of what PepperDotNet got(see earlier replies of this thread). tl;dr is your typical corporate-vs-joe story, DD filed a complaint to MSFT, MSFT tells me to remove app in 24 hours or they will. I'm trying to get one of my designer friends to redo the UI to work around the complaint, and I hope I can get it updated before 2016.

pbphotos

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Checking in to see if there is any hope of the DD app returning, it was great and used it a ton before I went to Windows 10 and now it no long is available. I would love to see it back in the store and hope it returns soon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa