06-20-2015 07:38 AM
39 12
tools
    Hi people,

I've created a very basic YouTube downloader app for Windows. I know there's a lot of YouTube apps, but I would like to know what you think about it and what I could improve. It's a free app, but with some advertisements.

Simple YouTube Downloader app for Windows in the Windows Store

All kind of feedback is appreciated, thank you!

Best Regards
    Thomas
    06-06-2015 06:52 AM
    Whether it is supported background downloading???
    tsr1983 likes this.
    06-06-2015 07:02 AM
    Hi,

Yes, it supports background downloading. Just start a download and close the app, and you will get a notification when the download is completed.
    06-06-2015 07:21 AM
    Hi,

Yes, it supports background downloading. Just start a download and close the app, and you will get a notification when the download is completed.
    Link please
    tsr1983 likes this.
    06-06-2015 07:35 AM
    Just downloaded and tried, simple and straight and it works too, tried downloading 2 small videos. Its good app, not too much but it does what it says. I used to use an app on my android which used the parallel session downloading (just like IDM parallel download) ,would like to see it here too. Still its good.
    tsr1983 likes this.
    06-06-2015 07:54 AM
    Tried searching for it in the store. Couldn't find it. Microsoft really need to get their selves in gear and fix this damn store search. Would you believe WC come up while searching for it ? Horrible.
    But anyways, the link you posted above is the desktop site and not the mobile link that send you directly to download it off the store.
    tsr1983 likes this.
    06-06-2015 08:00 AM
    Please make a universal downloader that works like IDM. I watch a vid on my browser and something pops up asking me if i want to download it or not
    tsr1983 likes this.
    06-06-2015 08:03 AM
    Link please

This should lead you to the store.
    06-06-2015 08:28 AM
    Just downloaded and tried, simple and straight and it works too, tried downloading 2 small videos. Its good app, not too much but it does what it says. I used to use an app on my android which used the parallel session downloading (just like IDM parallel download) ,would like to see it here too. Still its good.
    Thank you for your feedback. I will consider your suggestion, seems like a good feature.
    06-06-2015 08:29 AM
    Tried searching for it in the store. Couldn't find it. Microsoft really need to get their selves in gear and fix this damn store search. Would you believe WC come up while searching for it ? Horrible.
    But anyways, the link you posted above is the desktop site and not the mobile link that send you directly to download it off the store.
    I've actually been discussing this issue with Microsoft, as some of my apps aren't visible when searching for them in the store, and I know some other developers are having the same issue. They told me that they would update their search algorithms sometime in the future.

But I'm not aware of any other way of linking to the app, the link I posted is the one from the developer dashboard, which should lead to the app.
    06-06-2015 08:34 AM
    Please make a universal downloader that works like IDM. I watch a vid on my browser and something pops up asking me if i want to download it or not
    Thanks for your feedback. I will look into this.
    06-06-2015 08:35 AM
    Its not taking me to the WP store. Its taking me to the website page describing it as if I was on a desktop.
    I don't see a link saying download either. Help me out.
    06-06-2015 06:18 PM
    Its not taking me to the WP store. Its taking me to the website page describing it as if I was on a desktop.
    I don't see a link saying download either. Help me out.
    Ah okay, now I understand. Sorry for the misunderstanding, but it's not a Windows Phone app, it's a Windows Store app. No phone app made yet.
    06-07-2015 01:36 AM
    Ah okay, now I understand. Sorry for the misunderstanding, but it's not a Windows Phone app, it's a Windows Store app. No phone app made yet.
    But couldn't you just made it a universal app since the programs to do are already out ? Would be much better. You can just put it in the software and it'll do most of the work for you. This would be awesome on windows phone ir Xbox.
    06-07-2015 07:23 AM
    But couldn't you just made it a universal app since the programs to do are already out ? Would be much better. You can just put it in the software and it'll do most of the work for you. This would be awesome on windows phone ir Xbox.
    I've been thinking about doing that, but wanted to start with the Store version to see if it would gain any downloads. I've made a few universal apps, so I should be able to do so. Thanks for your suggestion.
    06-07-2015 09:21 AM
    I've been thinking about doing that, but wanted to start with the Store version to see if it would gain any downloads. I've made a few universal apps, so I should be able to do so. Thanks for your suggestion.
    I don't see why not. I mean you're purposely limiting yourself as to how much downloads you'll get when you think about it. Do a phone version, go all out. You never know what'll happen but one thing for sure is if you make it only for desktop you're missing out on the WP user base by 100%. That is not winning in any way shape or form.
    I get that you want to test the waters but man, it's time to dive in deep. Windows 10 is about to make some changes to the platform. Take full advantage. No way you can lose, really. Even if the downloads aren't high.
    06-07-2015 09:25 AM
    I don't see why not. I mean you're purposely limiting yourself as to how much downloads you'll get when you think about it. Do a phone version, go all out. You never know what'll happen but one thing for sure is if you make it only for desktop you're missing out on the WP user base by 100%. That is not winning in any way shape or form.
    I get that you want to test the waters but man, it's time to dive in deep. Windows 10 is about to make some changes to the platform. Take full advantage. No way you can lose, really. Even if the downloads aren't high.
    You make some good arguments, and I think I will end up making the Phone app too. One of the things that made me hesitate, was that I thought it was quite easy to copy / paste the link on a desktop, while it would be more difficult on a phone. Unless I integrate some kind of search function in the app, of course.
    06-07-2015 01:00 PM
    You make some good arguments, and I think I will end up making the Phone app too. One of the things that made me hesitate, was that I thought it was quite easy to copy / paste the link on a desktop, while it would be more difficult on a phone. Unless I integrate some kind of search function in the app, of course.
    To be honest, I have a YouTube downloader installed on my phone and its not the best. It does have a search feature and stuff but I think we need one that can do more.

We need one where the option should be there as to where you want to save the video, whether in the phones internal video folder, or inside the app.

We need background downloading with notifications as to when a video has downloaded, options for the resolution to download.

Option to download the music only and to add it to the music collection and save it to the app and just basic offline access to saved videos. What about the option to share the video and stuff from the app and the ability to rename the videos when promoted to download ? All these are small things that are huge !

Just some basic ideas you could work with and I think that if you do try that this would be a great app. Really. There is a whole lot of ideas you could implement.
    TechFreak1 and tsr1983 like this.
    06-07-2015 03:03 PM
    To be honest, I have a YouTube downloader installed on my phone and its not the best. It does have a search feature and stuff but I think we need one that can do more.

We need one where the option should be there as to where you want to save the video, whether in the phones internal video folder, or inside the app.

We need background downloading with notifications as to when a video has downloaded, options for the resolution to download.

Option to download the music only and to add it to the music collection and save it to the app and just basic offline access to saved videos. What about the option to share the video and stuff from the app and the ability to rename the videos when promoted to download ? All these are small things that are huge !

Just some basic ideas you could work with and I think that if you do try that this would be a great app. Really. There is a whole lot of ideas you could implement.

I've not thought about all those features, as the development of the app started as an experiement for me, but I think they are great suggestions. I think I will consider them in my future development of the app, it seems there's a lot of demand for a good YouTube downloder. Once again, thanks for your feedback.
    06-07-2015 03:10 PM
    If you ever make a phone version it would be great if you could allow the option to download as an mp3 file. I like to grab long videos with just talking and convert to mp3 to listen to on the go. I have not come across any apps in the windows store that do this easily or conveniently. I have to use 4k downloader on desktop and then transfer the file to the phone.
    06-07-2015 03:49 PM
    If you ever make a phone version it would be great if you could allow the option to download as an mp3 file. I like to grab long videos with just talking and convert to mp3 to listen to on the go. I have not come across any apps in the windows store that do this easily or conveniently. I have to use 4k downloader on desktop and then transfer the file to the phone.
    Thanks for your suggestion, I haven't checked if it is possible but it seems like a good idea.
    06-07-2015 04:27 PM
    This is what were talking about. Lol there are people who would want a good YouTube downloader. I am but just one along with yourself. I'm sure there's many people out there too who just haven't publicized the need for such an app. But man it would be hella convenient if we have one.
    06-07-2015 04:30 PM
    Hi people,

I've created a very basic YouTube downloader app for Windows. I know there's a lot of YouTube apps, but I would like to know what you think about it and what I could improve. It's a free app, but with some advertisements.

All kind of feedback is appreciated, thank you!

Best Regards
    Thomas
    Awesome, will check it out and will provide feedback after extensive use :).

If you sign in (on website) with the Microsoft account that is tied to the phone, the app gets pushed to your phone however in this case it's a Windows Store App - not a phone app - I'm aware the OP confirmed that - just a little pointer in case you weren't aware of it (I've found not many people are) .

So for me, will need to use Windows 10 to test - don't have Windows 8.
    06-07-2015 08:05 PM
    nice work mate!... it's really heartening to see developers taking time to obtain feedback from users.
    We, the windows community need people like you,Rudy and other dedicated windows devs to fill in the app gap in the Windows Eco system. Personally I don't use a Windows 8.1 desktop yet, however I am looking forward to seeing the WP version of your app soon in the Windows Store. (I really hope you make one!!)

Just to reiterate some of the features others' have mentioned;

* Background downloading (I don't know whether the WP environment would allow this)
    * Mp3 conversion
    * Music/Video hub integration (saving the downloaded stuff so that they appear on Xbox music and Videos apps)

Keep up the good work!... We are even ready to do Beta testing for you!
    06-08-2015 12:33 AM
    nice work mate!... it's really heartening to see developers taking time to obtain feedback from users.
    We, the windows community need people like you,Rudy and other dedicated windows devs to fill in the app gap in the Windows Eco system. Personally I don't use a Windows 8.1 desktop yet, however I am looking forward to seeing the WP version of your app soon in the Windows Store. (I really hope you make one!!)

Just to reiterate some of the features others' have mentioned;

* Background downloading (I don't know whether the WP environment would allow this)
    * Mp3 conversion
    * Music/Video hub integration (saving the downloaded stuff so that they appear on Xbox music and Videos apps)

Keep up the good work!... We are even ready to do Beta testing for you!
    Thanks for the kind words and for your suggestions. It seems to be almost the same features everyone wants, so I will work to get that implemented.

I'm currently working on the Store version, I've added mp3 download and the ability to choose video quality. Seems to be working.

As soon as this version is stable and complete, I will begin a Phone version. I hope to be able to reuse much of the code.
    hiya15 and Elitewolf like this.
    06-08-2015 05:17 AM
39 12