[FREE APP] Car Scanner ELM OBD2

0vZ

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
Hello WindowsCentral!

Car Scanner

See what your car is doing in realtime, get OBD fault codes, car performance, sensor data and more!
Car Scanner is a vehicle / car performance / diagnostics tool and scanner that uses an OBD II Bluetooth adapter to connect to your OBD2 engine management / ECU.

Car Scanner was inspired by Torque and OBD Car Doctor (PNN software) for Android, and brings best features of that apps to Windows Phone / Windows 10 Mobile.

Layout your own dashboard with the gauges and charts you want!
It can also show and reset a DTC fault code like a scantool. Helps you fix your car and helps keep repair costs down!
Works on any vehicle that uses the OBD 2 standard (most vehicles built after 2000, but can work for vehicles as far back as 1996).
The app needs a Bluetooth OBD2 ELM327 compatible adapter to work. The adapter is small and plugs into the diagnostics socket on the car which gives your phone access.
If you buy one of the cheap china OBD2 ELM327 bluetooth adapters from ebay / amazon, then make sure it’s not marked as v.2.1. This adapters are supported, but they have lot’s of bugs.

PLEASE NOTE: Vehicle ECUs vary in the amount of sensors supported. This app can’t show you something, that is not provided by your car.

Attention "bad" adapters! We faced the problem, that some adapters (often Chinese one and marked as v.2.1), can’t connect to the smartphone or the car. Some of them can even make your car engine work unstable, often lost connection, increase time lag when reading data.
So, we recommend you to use ELM327 ver. 1.4-1.5 and AVOID USING cheap ELM327 v.2.1.

Go and get it: http://windowsphone.com/s?appid=76fcad0e-73c3-4d24-85e0-4e474b50a2e3
https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...canner-elm-obd2%2F9nblggh5lpx9&token=11odAS55

Screenshots:
5.png2.png6.png3.png7.png4.png1.png

Last edited:

0vZ

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
And one more thing: if you would help me to test Car Scanner on a car, that was't tested before, I'll give you ad-free version.
This promotion is valid for first 10 that would send me a PM.
List of cars that were succesfuly tested:
Toyota Land Cruiser 2010 3L TD
Toyota RAV4 2015 2L
Nissan X-Trail 2008 2.5L
Subaru XV 2014 2L
Kia Sportage 2013 2L
Hyundai Elantra XD 2009 1.6L
Hyundai Accent 2 1.5L
Chevrolete Aveo
Citroen Berlingo
Peugeot Partner
Mazda Demio
BMW 318
Ford Fiesta
Citroen C4 Picasso 1.6HDI 2009 (thanks to eusty)

Last edited:

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
Why only W10M? I was going to put it on my SP3, but had to use it on my phone instead.

It connected OK but wouldn't connect to the ECU on my C4 Picasso.....but the ignition is off and I'm in bed!!! Let you know if it works tomorrow :smile:

0vZ

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
About first question. I would release version for tablets / laptops / PC (with win 8.1 / 10) in near future. It's nearly ready, but there are some things to be done.

About the second question. Could you send me OBD data log? You can find it in Car Scanner - Settings - Connection - Save OBD Data Log.
I'll see what's wrong.
And you can try using manual protocol detection (tap on Car Scanner - Settings - Connection - Detect protocol and wait) or set correct protocol if you know one.

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
About first question. I would release version for tablets / laptops / PC (with win 8.1 / 10) in near future. It's nearly ready, but there are some things to be done.

About the second question. Could you send me OBD data log? You can find it in Car Scanner - Settings - Connection - Save OBD Data Log.
I'll see what's wrong.
And you can try using manual protocol detection (tap on Car Scanner - Settings - Connection - Detect protocol and wait) or set correct protocol if you know one.

Sorry, nothing is wrong it works fine (I've sent a PM with he details). The problem I was in bed and couldn't be bothered to get up to turn the ignition on!!

0vZ

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
Whether it works with WiFi ELM?
That's it - update is available!
Now WiFi ELM327 receivers are supported.

Update changelog for version 2016.229.1746.0:
- improved compatibility with some ECUs
- fixed wide-band O2 sensors readings
- WiFi ELM327 dongles support added
- average speed calculations
- settings interface improved
- some interface fixes
- Now you can choose how to set minimum and maximum on charts in Live data and Dashboard (depending on all readings or just visible area).
- Other bug fixes.

0vZ

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
13.03.2016:
- added new features:
1) distance travelled,
2) average fuel consumption,
3) fuel used,
4) dashboard indicators customization
5) German translation
6) automatic connection at startup (disabled by default)
7) average for all readings (disabled by default) in Live data mode
8) icons changed
9) fuel level display in liters or gallons instead of % (only if your ECU supports this feature);
- improved DTC reading,
- fixed DTC erasing on some ECUs,
- other bugs fixed.

marcel vizitiu

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
Hello.
i have a vw jetta 2003 1.8t. My real fuel consuption is about 12-13l/100km. Today i tried to test this feature and it shows avg of 2.5l/100km. The problem is that the app didn't recognize the real fuel used. I drove 15km and it shows the used fuel 0.3l(had show about 1.9l). Please see if you can fix it.
And the question: What should i insert in fields for cylinder filling at different rpm in car settings and how it affects the app readings?
P.S. The app is great, probably best one for WP. I like the dashboard, very comfortable to use and can be costumized for each person. Good luck in developing it!!

0vZ

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
Hello.
i have a vw jetta 2003 1.8t. My real fuel consuption is about 12-13l/100km. Today i tried to test this feature and it shows avg of 2.5l/100km. The problem is that the app didn't recognize the real fuel used. I drove 15km and it shows the used fuel 0.3l(had show about 1.9l). Please see if you can fix it.
And the question: What should i insert in fields for cylinder filling at different rpm in car settings and how it affects the app readings?

Hello. About the consumption.
Just few cars report "used fuel" value.
All other cars don't report exact amount of fuel used and all of OBD apps have to calculate used fuel based on used air.
Cars that don't report used fuel can be divided in two groups:
1. cars with mass air flow sensor (MAF)
2. cars with manifold absolute pressure sensor (MAP) and intake air temperature sensor (IAT).
First group reports amount of air used.
We know, that gasoline engines are using 14,7:1 air:fuel. So if we know air, we can count fuel. That's simple and we need just MAF for that. To calculate fuel consumption for 100 km or miles per gallon we need MAF + speed. That's simple too.

Second group doesn't report amount of air used. But if we apply some physics knowledge and some more info (RPM, engine displacement and engine volumetric efficiency) we can calculate amount of air. After we get amount of air we can calculate amount of fuel used.

So, what I want to say - if your car doesn't have MAF, you should change some of this value. Nobody exactly knows what is your engine VE, just engineers that created your engine. If you think that displayed value is too low - you can put higher values in VE.
On most engines it's about 60-85%. On turbo/compressr engines it could be more.

And one more things each sensor reading takes time. 99% uses chineese elm327 clones that can read one sensor about 5-10 times per second.
It's very slow if we are talking about cars and consumption calculations.
Each time you add new sensor - you slow down readings for all sensors.
Car Scanner refreshes only sensors that you see at the moment, but if your car doesn't have MAF - we need to read lot's of sensors to calculate fuel consumption.
Let's see:
1. Engine RPM
2. MAP
3. IAT
4. Speed
5. Fuel system status (to get zero consumption)
6. Throttle pedal position (to get zero consumption)
So, 6 readings takes about 0.8-1.5 second to calculate fuel consumption for just one time.
If you add more sensors on the same dashboard page - that time lag would increase and readings could give you wrong info.

0vZ

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
And some news... Car Scanner received a lot of updates since I updated this thread last time.
So, what's new have we got now:
1. First of all, improved compatibility with ECUs and ELM327
2. Added new mode: ECU self test results monitoring.
While you drive your car your ECU is doing some tests and comparing results with manufacturer defined values.
Now you can check if your car passes tests or fails.
3. Added new mode: ECU info. In this mode you can get VIN, Calibration Id, ECU name, current protocol and components tests.
4. Added support for more than 80 sensors (most for diesel and turbo vehicles).
5. Added support for custom pids (extended sensors).
With custom pids you can get information from sensors, hiden from you by car manufacturer.
As for example - you can get AT/CVT temperature on Toyota RAV4, injection timings on Sirius D42 ECU (Chevrolete Aveo, Lacetti, etc). And more, and more....
If you have ever used custom PIDs in Android Torque app, it's the same. I have added import feature, so you can use custom pids .csv for Torque.
7. Changed Freeze frame display.
8. Lot's of internal changes made: multithreaded data decoding, stability improvements, etc.
9. Bugs fixed.

I have lot's of plans to do, like implementing dyno features (measure torque and power), car profiles (connection settings + custom pids + pre arranged dashboard for different cars).

0vZ

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
Car Scanner updated:
16.05.2016:
What's new in this version:
- fixed wrong fuel consumption calculations for cars with MAF sensor
- added support for Nissan Consult II protocol (it is used for Nissan cars, manufactured after 2000+, that don't support OBD2 and don't support CAN)
For modern Nissan vehicles (2008+), that supports CAN you should use CAN protocol.
You need to manually select Nissan Consult II protocol in settings in order to use it.
- added custom PID sets for different manufacturers: Ford, Toyota, Lexus, Mazda, Hyundai, Kia, General Motors (GM, GMC, Opel, Chevrolet, Vauxhal, Daewoo), Mazda, Jeep, Dodge.
All of them are not guaranteed to work on your car, since they highly depends on ECU and firmware version, installed in your car.
Go to Settings - Vehicle options - Edit custom (extended) PIDs - Load set
- Now you can look for DTC description using one of four online databases
- Main screen font size fixed
- other bugs fixes and compatibility improvements

0vZ

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys, I've made another update:
- added export from Live data to .CSV file that you can open in excel. Only current session data is exported.
- fixed wrong detection of diesel/gasoline... Because some of car manufacturers doesn't support this feature, it is disabled.
- added lot's of custom pids pack for: Mitsubishi, Renault, BYD, Geely, GreatWall, Hyundai, Kia, Lifan, Lada, Opel.
Go to Settings - Vehicle options - Edit custom (extended) PIDs - Load set and check them.
One more time: I do not guarantee that this pids would work on your car. Try it and let the force be with you!

0vZ

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
Car Scanner updated!
New version introducing "Connection profiles" - it is a set of connection settings and special sensors that can add support for new sensors and add support for cars, that do not have OBD2 support in a very user-friendly way - you need just to select suitable profile and tap "Apply profile" - that's all!

Today update included profiles for:
1) OBDII (defaul profile, suitable for most OBD2 compatible cars)
2) Nissan Consult II (Nissan/Infinity/Datsun without OBD2 support or with incomplete OBD2 support and without CAN-bus support, mostly 2002-2007)
3) Mitsubishi Outlander II, XL, III (adds sensors for ABS, CVT, AWC systems)
4) Opel X16XEL, X18XE (old Opel cars without OBDII support, can be compatible with other old Opel cars)
5) Sirius D42 (Chevrolet, Daewoo and other General motors brands with ECU Sirius D42)
6) Toyota CAN MY2010+ (Modern Toyota cars, starting from 2010 model year with CAN-bus support - adds lot's of different sensors)
7) VAZ Yanvar 7.2 (Russian so-called cars)
8) VAZ Yanvar 5.1 (Russian so-called cars)

In future - I'll add more profiles. At the moment working on Hyundai/Kia sensors.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786