'Strawberry Weather' [UWP] the most battery friendly and light-weight weather experience!

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Hi people, I am learning coding, not a professional but an enthusiast. After a lot of hard work, I succeeded in crafting this beautiful app, Strawberry Weather...
.... which got even better as Strawberry Weather 2.0

Strawberry Weather shows you current weather, with forecast for a week in details (I mean quite the details).

Weather services - OpenWeatherMap or Dark Sky

You can let the GPS locate you or can set location manually.

The places you search, sync with all your Windows 10 devices. There is no hassle of searching and favoriting places. You just search and they sync with devices. If you want to remove a place, you can. Simple!

The live tile updates periodically and there are 'Smart Notifications' which alert you of upcoming conditions smartly!

Tons of themes to personalize, you can create your own and they sync with devices!

We have worked wonders on the battery usage, so low as 2% for a day. GPS locks in 2 seconds even inside buildings!
70% reviews on the store are 5 star, the remaining are 4 star mostly.

wp_ss_20170107_0008.png wp_ss_20170107_0005.png

wp_ss_20170107_0006.png wp_ss_20170107_0007.png

wp_ss_20170107_0011.jpg wp_ss_20170107_0012.png

Screenshot (315).png Screenshot (330).png

Screenshot (240).png Screenshot (331).jpg

https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9NBLGGH4NQ3T

Strawberry Weather offers a complete feature set with all the essential features! And I plan to update it frequently with better features and evolve it into 'Ultimate Weather Experience'.. It's just the beginning!
If you showed support and encouraged me, I will make more such beautiful apps! Thank you!

And don't forget the name 'Strawberry Corp'!

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: 'Strawberry Weather' a beautiful way to weather!

Thanks for the link!

I've moved your thread to the App Spotlight forum so that members looking for new apps will be better able to find it.

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site

I understand you people would be a bit skeptical for trying yet another weather app!

But you can give it a try at least! It will take 2 seconds to check it out. It is completely free with all the essential features! And instead of forcing too much information with graphs and all, I chose to display information using simplified texts! It's easier to glance info this way. Tiles & toasts are there too!

I want feedback from you guys to evolve Strawberry Weather into an 'Ultimate and Truely Personalized Weather Experience'! You can tell me to add different weather sources, you can recommend colors, fonts and what not. I want it to reflect what my users like and want! As I see, in a way, this would be a truely personal experience!

In addition to that I would add different things too that my mind would come up!

Come on Gotham, Batman needs you!! :)

Last edited:

Chris Sandiford

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site

First question:
Do we need another weather app?

First impressions:
Don't like the one block of colour, don't like that cloud (looks like a snowman) and it has Windows 8.1 styling and pivots.

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site

First question:
Do we need another weather app?

First impressions:
Don't like the one block of colour, don't like that cloud (looks like a snowman) and it has Windows 8.1 styling and pivots.

Well, I'd say thanks for sharing your thoughts! Even though your reply was quite negative, I would take it in a positive note.

This is my first app. It's just the beginning. I searched the store and realized even though there are plenty of weather apps, they are not completely free! I thought my app would fit good in totally free category who want essential weather in a clean way! If 'How many 'XYZ' type of apps do we need?' was the thinking of users, iOS and Android wouldn't be far ahead of WM10!

To answer other of your concerns, WM10 looks all grey and I thought let's add a bit of color to it. Just like the start screen. Hence the 'one' block of color!

I don't think you want to stretch out your thumb to top left corner to tap hamburger and then the places button to reach 'places' screen, that's why the use of pivots! Stretching out the thumb and 2 clicks are far more cumbersome than a sideway swipe, I believe! Anyway, the pivots aren't gone completely from WM10 and for the 'ease of use factor' I used this styling which fits perfectly for my app.

One note by the way, don't discourage developers. We put our hardwork and want some appreciation. If you feel certain app doesn't suit you, try to use some nicer words! Hope you will understand me! Have a good day! :)

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site

v1.1.10 is up in store!

* Theme support! Change to the color you like or let us detect the system accent color with 'Chameleon theme'!
* Choose which settings sync with devices, be it unit setting, launch location or theme!
* Other smaller improvements!

More features are coming!

* Choices for weather images, as per your liking!
* Some more personalizations! A color pallette to choose your theme and accent colors!
* Some cool things are planned, don't want to spoil the surprise!

If you want any feature or weather source added, kindly tell us, we will update with certain feature as soon as possible!
We can't know which weather source would be accurate at what place! You can tell us to include them!
Any other suggestions are welcome!

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site

Strawberry Weather v1.2.5

* Added icon packs. Now choose from 3 different icon packs! More to come!
* Polished UI, refinements here and there, you are going to like these small yet subtle changes!
* General performance improvements while resuming app!

OP is updated with the screenshots (App looks much nicer while using than screenshots though!). If you like the screenshots, please try the app! It's quite full featured for free of cost! Thank you and have a nice day!

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the work you're doing. I've unpinned WeatherBug and pinned your app in its place to try it out.

Any chance you can make this app work with the lock screen to display the current and forecasted weather?

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for the work you're doing. I've unpinned WeatherBug and pinned your app in its place to try it out.

Any chance you can make this app work with the lock screen to display the current and forecasted weather?

Thank you very much! Surely, I'll try to add lockscreen weather. It's on my to do list! I'll try to add as soon as possible!

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site

I am a bit busy in exams for 2-3 days. After that I'll see if I can add lock screen weather. I remember to have this feature present in Bing Weather app on 8.1 though. It is not there now, I am afraid we have lost the ability to show info on lockscreen in Windows 10. Do you know any other app that can do this, so to confirm it? Nevertheless, I'll try my best what I can do about it!

By the way, Would you like to share your experience? It's my first app, with experience of only 2 months in coding. I'm a bit nervous how it performs, how my users like it and all that! Though I'm glad it loads weather faster than Microsoft's weather app! Not only you actually, anyone else here using my app, did you like it? I'd like to hear! :)

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

Amazing Weather HD has the lock screen ability.

In your app, when you click on "forecast" it goes to "today" and is usually empty. When you scroll over to tomorrow, it starts out showing 7pm; 10pm and then picks up at 4am. Is 7 and 10pm the time for the current day or for the forecasted day? There is no radar.

I know you've just begun, and the app is limited in features, but it lacks some design and "pop". I didn't have any performance issues, so awesome job there!

My device is a Lumia Icon running W10 Release Preview ring.

Last edited:

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site

Amazing Weather HD has the lock screen ability.

In your app, when you click on "forecast" it goes to "today" and is usually empty. When you scroll over to tomorrow, it starts out showing 7pm; 10pm and then picks up at 4am. Is 7 and 10pm the time for the current day or for the forecasted day? There is no radar.

I know you've just begun, and the app is limited in features, but it lacks some design and "pop". I didn't have any performance issues, so awesome job there!

My device is a Lumia Icon running W10 Release Preview ring.

Okay. Thanks for the feedback! :)
When you go to forecast, it shows per 3 hour weather, starting with 5.30 am to 2.30 am. The same pattern follows for next 4 days. I checked on multiple devices before publishing including PCs and phones and it never was empty. Still, I'll see what could have gone wrong.

Radar is planned too!

I hope someday, you will again install my app for it would be pretty feature packed! I'm gonna keep developing and updating! Thanks for the feedback anyway! :)

Last edited:

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site

Strawberry Weather v1.2.14

* Now you can set Strawberry Weather to show detailed lockscreen status.

* A new wide tile design to match the lockscreen status.

* Set the duration between live tile updates!

* Faster GPS lock, as well as improved performance. Battery consumption which already was pretty low is cut down to half of it now!

The bug @11B1P mentioned should have been gone. I checked multiple phones, multiple locations, it shows forecast, no blank screens.

Also, info on lock screen such as forecast weather or anything other that we have seen on WP8.1, is supported only on Silverlight apps and there is no such API for Universal Platform aka UWP (This is why Bing Weather on WP8.1 had it and MSN Weather doesn't have). Since Strawberry Weather is a UWP, the only option for me was to show detailed lock screen status. Hope you like it!

Last edited:

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site

Strawberry Weather v 1.2.38

* Toast - Now we tell you to take umbrella with you, if it is going to rain!
* Setting to set bottom command bar to compact or minimal!
* New theme creater UI! created themes sync with your devices!

Last edited:

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Re: 'Strawberry Weather' [UWP] a beautiful way to weather!

I must say I am quite satisfied with my app. I never got to test my app with other apps (I have MSN weather and Acuuweather just to test my app against), as it was a very hot summer where I live and every app would show similar temperature reading sans the difference of 1-2 degrees. Sky would be clear with a few coulds at the most! But yesterday was something else. I and one my friend had plans to go over to my another friend's home yesterday evening. And as usual, my app gave me a toast notification, saying it would rain in the evening. So, I checked both the apps, MSN weather and Accuweather too and surprisingly they showed clear sky and at the most it would go cloudy. But my app was showing, light rain/ moderate rain/ thunderstorm throughout the night. I chose to believe in my own app, and took umbrella, raincoat with me. And boy, it rained.. Followed by a thunderstorm. So much that we had to spend the whole night there at friend's home! Had I not believed, I would have catched cold or fever today!

London Jr

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site

I am going to download this app and try it out. I keep multiple weather apps on my device for updating and accuracy. I think your app is and looks to add something to the table. Too many copycat apps out there looking to continue the same trend. I am trying also to be a developer attempting to break trends, and your's stood out to me. Downloading now, will rate the app in the store and give comment under LaBrynthe...

Good Job!

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site

Thanks a lot! I'm sure you will like my app. And, it is going to be updated with new features and improvements forever! That's a plus! For accuracy, I'm planning to add more weather sources! I have an update ready, which I'm pushing today. So if you face any bugs in current version, hang on a bit! :)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett