'Strawberry Weather' [UWP] the most battery friendly and light-weight weather experience!

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Re: 'Strawberry Weather' [UWP] a beautiful way to weather!

Thanks for replying. I was only offering some suggestions that would be nice for me, so I wouldn't make any changes based just on that. But maybe you could get some feedback on this from other users?

I see your point about the tile looking a little bland, but I have a very minimalist home screen so I think I'm a special case. It annoys me that I Cortana has its name too :)
View attachment 128595

I hadn't considered the notifications for people planning what to do next. Maybe you could have a setting for the notifications, 'all' or 'bad weather' or something like that?
I have published an update. Now the tile doesn't show 'Weather' but the location name. You can disable it too if you want it blank so that it will suit the start screen of yours.

Let me know if you like this update.

I'll work on the notification settings tomorrow.

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site

I have published an update. Now the tile doesn't show 'Weather' but the location name. You can disable it too if you want it blank so that it will suit the start screen of yours.

Let me know if you like this update.

I'll work on the notification settings tomorrow.

Thanks! You're working fast. I'm in no rush though so take your time with the notifications. I'm a dev too and I know how long these things can take to build, it's not always as simple as it appears. I'm also fighting with live tiles to get them to do what I want. Like you say the documentation isn't always complete, I think because UWP is so new.

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site

Thanks! You're working fast. I'm in no rush though so take your time with the notifications. I'm a dev too and I know how long these things can take to build, it's not always as simple as it appears. I'm also fighting with live tiles to get them to do what I want. Like you say the documentation isn't always complete, I think because UWP is so new.
Hey! You are a dev! Cool! Can you tell me the publisher name so that I can check your apps?

How did you like the new live tile? Any suggestions?

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site

Hey! You are a dev! Cool! Can you tell me the publisher name so that I can check your apps?

How did you like the new live tile? Any suggestions?

The new tile is great, thanks! Looks good on my home screen.

Aston Software is the publisher.

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site

The new tile is great, thanks! Looks good on my home screen.

Aston Software is the publisher.
Hi. Literal moments is a cool app! Nice work!

Btw I've published an update that allows text wrapping on the medium tile to make better use of space. It would look better on your Start screen now.

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site

Strawberry Weather v1.4.12

* The live tile now shows city name instead of 'Weather' tag and is more beautiful now.

* New large tile for PCs and Tablets.

* Customizable live tiles - Choose whether to show current details like wind and humidity or next hour forecast along with current condition and temperature on live tiles.

* Customizable lock screen status - Just like live tiles, choose whether to display accompanying message to the current condition ex. "You need an umbrella" or just show wind and humidity on the lock screen.

* Smart notifications - Notifications are less annoying now, thanks to 'Smart Notifications'. With smart notifications turned on, you will get a notification if it's going to rain next. We won't show any notification unless precipitation increases or decreases or rain stops fully. So you won't get annoying notifications.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site

One suggestion on the Win 10 (non-mobile) version: have the forecast replace the recent places section, or possibly a toggle to chose one or the other as the default view. I think a forecast view would be more important on a computer (that doesn't move too much) as opposed to the recent places view.

Great work btw, it has become my default weather app:)

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site

One suggestion on the Win 10 (non-mobile) version: have the forecast replace the recent places section, or possibly a toggle to chose one or the other as the default view. I think a forecast view would be more important on a computer (that doesn't move too much) as opposed to the recent places view.

Great work btw, it has become my default weather app:)

Screenshot (329).png

How about this? I'm working on this right now!

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site

When Strawberry Weather launched first, it didn't have the forecast functionality at all, because I didn't even know how to split up the forecast day-wise. This is why the current UI! :p

I'm working on an internal build, where I'm experimenting the option to launch forecast directly. I'm just testing it thoroughly, finding bugs that break current functionality. One bug can ruin the reputation real bad. But you will have that option very soon. Thanks that you took the time to give the feedback and it's good to know that this is your default app now! A lot of surprises ahead!

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site

That looks good! I wonder if having the top and bottom of the recent places boxes be at the same levels as the top and bottom of the upcoming boxes might make it look cleaner?
Yes, that's possible! I'll publish the update tomorrow!

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site

Strawberry Weather v1.4.27

Redesigned UI to better show current weather as well as next 12 hours in a glance! See the OP for updated screenshots!

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site

Strawberry Weather v 1.4.32

Minor UI improvements for Desktops and Tablets.
Behind the scenes improvements.

Last edited:

RoboLam

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site

Can you share which weather service you're using? Also can you share your opinion regarding that service? Like if you had to start over would you choose the same service or another? Thanks!

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site

Can you share which weather service you're using? Also can you share your opinion regarding that service? Like if you had to start over would you choose the same service or another? Thanks!

If you head over to settings, there I have mentioned I am using OpenWeatherMap service. It's hard to tell if I would use the service again, because it's not that much accurate at my location. Actually no weather service is accurate at my location. But by the looks of the reviews, out of which 70% are 5 star, and people tell, it's fairly accurate so I would use it again. But, I'm gonna add more weather services to choose from in Strawberry Weather. For now 'Dark Sky' aka 'Forecast.io' and 'Weather Underground' are planned. But I'm a bit busy in college things as well I'll have to rework a lot of code to add these services, so it's taking some time! Can you tell me how is the current service in terms of accuracy at your location?

RoboLam

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site

Thanks for the response. I'm interested in adding a few weather features into my non-weather focused app and looking at options so your feedback is very helpful :)

Regarding my area, OpenWeatherMap shows 17C and the MS Weather app shows 18C so I think close enough no one will notice. In terms on condition prediction (e.g. rain) it's not rained here in awhile so hard to tell you lol We have a drought at the moment here.

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for the response. I'm interested in adding a few weather features into my non-weather focused app and looking at options so your feedback is very helpful :)

Regarding my area, OpenWeatherMap shows 17C and the MS Weather app shows 18C so I think close enough no one will notice. In terms on condition prediction (e.g. rain) it's not rained here in awhile so hard to tell you lol We have a drought at the moment here.

I would like to know about that app of yours. Is it on the store? Also you can ask me anything, and I will help as much as I can! Don't hesitate! All the best and thanks for the praise!

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site

I'd suggest Dark Sky service, it has daily summary but detailed forecast is available only for 2 days. Depends on what you need, take a look!

RoboLam

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site

I would like to know about that app of yours. Is it on the store? Also you can ask me anything, and I will help as much as I can! Don't hesitate! All the best and thanks for the praise!

I have an auto-updating wallpaper/lockscreen app call Live Earth: Himawari 8 that gets full Earth images(at 1080p and 4k res) from a geo-synchronous satelite every 15mins. Thought it might be nice to add a small weather at a glance option in the corner. Maybe just for the current day or hour.

Also thought about adding it to my Health app that visualizes data from MS Health Cloud. For this I was thinking of integrating with historical weather data? So users can see that they walk less when it rains or is very hot etc. Not super useful but kinda fun to look at? This is less likely since that's much more data to work with and this app is very new so my focus now is to finishing primary features like specific activity data (e.g. running, workouts).

I'd suggest Dark Sky service, it has daily summary but detailed forecast is available only for 2 days. Depends on what you need, take a look!

Thanks for the suggestion! I will look into it. Before the only two on my radar were OpenWeatherMap and WeatherUnderground. WeatherUnderground is too expensive for the type of minor add-on I'm considering and OpenWeatherMap isn't that much cheaper. Dark Sky is much more affordable :) so thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NunezGuad