DOSBox for Windows Phone

sensboston

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Logo-store.png

Hi guys, I'd like to introduce a DOSBox emulator port for Windows Phone 8.1 & up.

I developed this app more than half an year ago but final release "polishing" was on hold because of many reasons. However, I think that the app "as is" (btw, it's works and works fine!) published in the store is much better than no app at all so I decided to publish it

What is the "DOSBox" and how to use it, you may read on the official website; shortly: you can run good old DOS games (or other apps!), built for x86 CPU, on your Windows Phone.

Screenshots:

wp_ss_20160610_0001.pngwp_ss_20160210_0002_1.png
wp_ss_20160210_0003_1.pngwp_ss_20160210_0004_1.png
wp_ss_20160210_0005_1.jpgwp_ss_20160210_0006_1.png

Classic Sierra's quests are working fine; Wolf 3D (for DOS) also playable. He-he, you can run Windows 3.1 on your phone too

I recommend to use Bluetooth keyboard and mouse to work with emulator. Camera button toggles "turbo-mode" of emulator (sometime is very useful), you can change this binding in settings. WP standard "back" key bound to the keyboard "Esc".

BTW, app has virtual keyboard and joystick; mouse is emulated via touch screen. Now mouse emulation has two modes, absolute and relative.

• absolute mouse mode: moves mouse pointer on virtual screen and emulates left button click by phone screen tap. Very simple but still useful in some old DOS games and definitely in DOS programs working in the text mode.
  • relative mouse mode: to move mouse pointer, touch & hold phone screen and move your finger; mouse should move relative to your finger movements. To emulate left mouse click - tap the screen, double-click - double-tap. To emulate right mouse click, hold & release finger. To move mouse with left mouse button pressed - hold for a little and start moving your finger on the screen. So, this mode simulates (at least, is trying too) a standard notebook touch-pad behavior.

How to work with the app:

• install app
  • connect phone to PC
  • create folder dosbox (or whatever) on the phone or sd-card memory. On W10M you may create folder at the root; on WP8.1 create your folder inside any public folders (Pictures, Documents etc.)
  • launch the app and choose folder; after synchronization it will be your virtual drive "c:". Later, you need to synchronize this folder manually after adding or deleting apps & data.

If you don't want to use PC, I strongly recommend you to use "Total Commander" app! You can easily open and unpack archives with old DOS games and programs to your virtual "drive c:" folder.

App is paid now ($1.99) but still has a free trial version, with some functionality limitation.

Support forum is located here.

W10M store link: https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...Fgames%2Fdosbox%2F9nblggh4q6j8&token=62OF4-_8
WP8.1 store link: http://windowsphone.com/s?appid=ab937773-d667-43df-984e-1237fc28e860

Enjoy, and "have a nice DOS"

sensboston

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it doesn't support Continuum but you still able to mirror your phone screen to the large screen. And - truly - I don't understand why do you want Continuum? Most people are enjoying to play good old DOS games (like my favorites, classic Sierra's quests) on a small phone screen; for large screens we have Xbox 360/One etc. & so on...

Engineer_in_shorts

Sep 11, 2016
Visit site
Bought this a week ago... Love it!!
Wish it was a Win10 UWA and available on PC. Heres why in order:
1. I have used dosbox on Desktop PC before but can't be bothered with the setup... a store app that is single click install and gets updated automagically would be awesome.
2. Easy install on tablet. I have an 10" tablet I love for casual gaming, add on clipon joypad for tons fun. Classic dos box is such a pain to install becuase it bums without a mouse.
3. Xbox ONE :smile::smile::love:
4. CONTINUUM :smile:

I appreaceate these are all different platforms to support but i think the potential users of all combined will make it worth it.

sensboston

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
MOGA.png

Version 1.6.1.17 submitted to the store.

What's new:

• added MOGA controllers support. It was tested on MOGA Mobile (MOGA Pocket) only but (probably) will work with the other MOGA controllers. I do have MOGA mobile (shown on picture above) and don't have any plans to purchase other controllers. If something not working, and you want to have it fixed, gift me that controller and I'll see how I can help you.
  • fixed screen size for handsets with "software buttons" upgraded to W10M (previously the emulator screen was partially hidden by menu buttons)
  • fixed couple of small bugs

MOGA support is paid and included to the "All features" IAP so if you already purchased all features, you're allset.

I can not guaranty 100% flawless work of MOGA controller because I wrote UWP driver for MOGA from scratch but for me it working fine (just completed couple of levels of "Wolf3D" - very useful).

sensboston

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Bought this a week ago... Love it!!

Thanks.

Wish it was a Win10 UWA and available on PC. Heres why in order:
1. I have used dosbox on Desktop PC before but can't be bothered with the setup... a store app that is single click install and gets updated automagically would be awesome.
2. Easy install on tablet. I have an 10" tablet I love for casual gaming, add on clipon joypad for tons fun. Classic dos box is such a pain to install becuase it bums without a mouse.
3. Xbox ONE :smile::smile::love:
4. CONTINUUM :smile:

Unfortunately, I should say "no" for all your requests:

1. The original DOSBox emulator (or clones with additional features) works on the desktop Windows 10 perfectly; also, standard win32/64 app don't have some stupid limitations what store apps has. If you have a troubles with original DOSBox you should... change your nickname at least :confused:
2. Number #2 maybe a good reason (and reasonable request) but... I've sold my Surface 2 and Surface 3 on ebay because of the complete uselessness so I'm unable to properly test app on the tablet, simple don't have one and don't have a plans to waste my money for it...
3. You must be kidding :smile:
4. I'll not going to maintain two UWP versions of DOSBox, same as I don't want to loose my WP8.1 customers (I do have a lot of 'em). If you want to see DOSBox on the big TV screen, just simple switch second display to the mirroring mode. By the way, the performance is limited by throughput so "native CONTINUUM" support will give you nothing (comparing with mirroring).

Last edited:

sensboston

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Thx for DOSBOX!!. Just purchased it. Will you support XBOX ONE S controllers via wired USB and Bluetooth in the future. That would rock!
I don't understand why it would rock: it's big (for using with the handset) and designed for the different purpose i.e. to play games on the big screen TV with Xbox console. Just scroll up and please read my post about MOGA Mobile/Pocket controller: this one is really useful and rock (even with my Lumia 950).

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
I understand that the moga controller is popular with mobile. I was just curious if you plan on supporting it. I take this as a no.

For those that already have an XBOX ONE but not a MOGA, they can just connect the controller up to the handset and play. Those people are already used to using the XBOX controller, and no need to fork over cash for a new different controller.

Thanks again for the app.

I tried playing Tyrian (it's become a free game now) last night but it was difficult controlling using the screen controller. Dosbox keeps toggling left and right repeatedly many times a second. Possibly incompatible with the game maybe or vice versa. I will test it some more when I get a chance.

sensboston

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I do have an OpenTyrian (WP port of "Tyrian" game) in stock, it works pretty good on the WP platform.

As for XBOX one joystick, I don't have any plans to buy and support it; my kids are happy with good old Xbox 360. BTW, people who can afford Xbox One console for $300, shouldn't worry a lot about $9 investments to game controller, isn't it?:wink:

Last edited:

Hridesh Mg

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
I cant insert special symbols like: " ( ) *etc I need to insert these symbols I want QBasic on dosbox but without these symbols q basic is useless please put these symbols and the cursor does not go down completely it stop at halfway

sensboston

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
What a great addition to the store! A real pity this has not been reviewed by too many people. How about the downloads, are they good.

Not so good; about 12.5K in 5 months.

NameReviewsAcquisitions
DOSBox4412,508

Microsoft ignored my request for the acquired benefit "Windows Store — Spotlight opportunity" redemption (I've got a "Master Pack" via DevCenter Benefits) so this unique emulator (there are no other x86 emulators in the store) was never promoted by MS (or even WindowCentral - I also tried to contact this site guys but without any success).

Also, they want to reject and remove "DOSBox" app from the store because of "non-compliance": M$ testers rejected last app update with the bug fixes because of the "wrong category" (DOSBox currently listed in the Games->Simulation category - it's a most closest category for the emulators because M$ don't have "Emulators" category at all and a lot of console emulators (like PS, GBA etc.) are also listed in this category).

I think, the Microsoft's "strategy" for Windows Phone platform is a "slow silent shutdown" :(

Last edited:

daimv

May 21, 2015
Visit site
I think you shouldn't dismiss xbox one controller support. There are probably s lot more users that own that one than Moga users. Of course Moga support is cool, but xbone support would be an additional cool feature too. And if your game is uwp it would work on PC too with both controllers.

Of course it is your app and your own decision, but think about it.

sensboston

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I think you shouldn't dismiss xbox one controller support. There are probably s lot more users that own that one than Moga users. Of course Moga support is cool, but xbone support would be an additional cool feature too. And if your game is uwp it would work on PC too with both controllers.

First, this DOSBox app is designed for phones only (you can run original or modded DOSBox'es on your PC without problems). I don't have Xbox One controller (but own Xbox 360) and can't imagine how to use Xbox 360 controller with the phones.

MOGA controllers are designed especially for using with the handsets: they are lightweight and (what is really important) has a phone holders. I'm using MOGA Mobile with Lumia 950 - this controller is really cheap one (just a $9 on Amazon or ebay) and really useful and handy to play games on Lumia.

Could you tell me, how you'll play games on the phone with Xbox One controller? I mean, physically? In that case you need to put your phone somewhere (on desk etc.) with additional holder (to hold the phone in appropriate angle). I don't think it's a good usecase.

daimv

May 21, 2015
Visit site
You can set up your phone with continuum in a screen/TV/projector and play using a controller comfortably. That would be the main appeal. I guess if you have a cheap stand you could also set the phone on a stand and play there. Of course the Moga is comfortable to hold both things at hand, but the xbox one controller is cool too.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss