After seven years, Windows to get tiles that update every second! (The return of Kirik)

anon(5844482)

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Hello there, three years ago I had written a host of 'Kirik' apps which gave functionality missing in Windows Phone 8 OS. They included the first universal search app, the first SD card file viewer, the first app to share videos from 'Videos' folder and the first app that could launch settings from any screen (via volume bars). After Microsoft opened their APIs to developers Kirik apps had to say goodbye.

Now, three years later, Kirik returns to give that functionality which has been missing in Windows since WP7 first launched. Recall the purpose of Metro UI : to make sure you have access to what you need on the start screen. While live tiles helped fulfill this objective, they had a serious drawback. Tiles would update only about once in fifteen minutes, a limitation that still remains. In some exceptional cases, they could update once in a minute.

But soon a new app "Kirik Tiles" will provide with some cool tiles - like battery percentage - which will update in an interval as small as 10 MILLISECONDS! Of course all this will happen only if the application gets certified and published which will take some time. But once it happens you can have a tile pinned to your homescreen that can show you the current time including seconds which no third party app can do currently.

What is more, you can set the default refresh time! Note however, that this application comes with several limitations and may affect battery. Only the tiles launched via this app will be able to refresh every second.

If all goes well, I shall come up with the actual app details. Cya till then!

anon(5844482)

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Application is live at https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...p%2Fkirik-tiles%2F9nblggh42xh9&token=fEqBal1T

You can set the live tile update time to whatever you wish.

However, there is a bug, on clicking live tile, it takes you to the app screen instead of the individual setting page. I have already submitted an update to the store.

Because my phone got bricked, I could never verify the app on a mobile device. Can someone please check if things work properly?

Thanks.

sensboston

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Hello sensboston, thanks for the input. I am realy surprised why this is happening. Are you sure you are running the app in the background?
Absolutely. Otherwise tile will not receive any update at all.

P.S. What kind of trick do you use to update tiles frequently? Timed background task?

sensboston

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
this is because the app is running in the background, it is bound to drain battery faster. :)

No, it's because of the wrong app design: very frequently tile updates are not recommended by Microsoft; WP8.1 or W10M are not designed for that kind of behavior. Not all background tasks are the source of the battery drain; if programmer implemented 'em correctly, following by recommended patterns and design, background tasks are very powerful and helpful tools.