iPhone 5 might be announced Oct 4th, will you be tempted?

mmaman

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
For me its IOS or WP7 and one of my biggest concerns besides the OS is the hardware and we all gotta admit, apple does this extremely well. Im on ATT so I have to choose between the Focus S, Titan or IP5, and maybe something else (Nokia) that gets announced this month. If the rumors are true about IP5, 4" IPS, Dual Core, Longer Battery, 8mp Camera, IOS5, 1gb Ram, 64gb, that would be damn hard to pass up! ESPECIALLY that 64gb, that would be awesome! With that being said lets wait and see, I want that Nokia sea ray bad but when the **** is it coming? And to US? I love the look of that phone and im sure the camera would be great as well, but right now there isnt too many choices for WP7 aside from titan and Focus S, which could be great phones but we just dont know for sure yet.

All I know is that if Apple announces the 5 on the 4th, then releases on the 20th or whatever like they did with the 4, and Nokia/MS have yet to announce their plans, it will be extremly hard for me not to switch.

We'll see.

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely, unequivocally NO!!! Didn't want an iPhone when I bought my Focus and I still don't. Outside of having iOS 5 (big deal) there is nothing about the specs that make it particularly special. There are dozens of handsets out there with dual core, 8MP, blah blah blah and I don't care about any of them either.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
If it has a 4.3" screen....who knows. Even if I don't like it, I may still get one and sell it. One thing about iPhones, they sell for a ton of cash!

wolf1891

May 12, 2011
Visit site
nopers...

if iOS did anything for me I would have had a smartphone years ago but, until WP7 came along there wasn't anything out there that appealed to me so, I waited and held onto my old feature phone. When Wp7 came out I was intrigued, and once I'd had a chance to try it I was hooked. New features/hardware from Apple won't change the fact that their products just don't appeal to me (I can acknowledge/accept that they are the cat's meow for some others but, not for me).

kregstrong

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Well if Verizon doesn't get a 4g sweet windows phone by November I will be switching to the Samsung nexus coming out. Lack of options is a big problem. Vzw has one wp7 phone

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
No, but only for the reason I can't afford and don't need a new phone right now. Regardless, the iPhone 5 will be a great phone with a mature, excellently supported ecosystem. I'm happy to consider anything if the price is right and it does what I need it to and does it elegantly and well, and that's why right now the only OSs I'll consider are iOS and WP7 (The only Android phone I've seen that genuinely interests me is the Grid 4, and that's still not been reviewed).

But from a competition point of view the phone Microsoft really need to worry about isn't the iPhone 5. It's the rumoured iPhone 4S. If Apple have pulled off making a genuinely cheap handset with a retina display that's as powerful as the iPhone 4 is, that's a seriously big threat. And if it does exist, Nokia had better have some really great low/mid range WP7 phones up their sleeves.

mmaman

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
IOS may not be as sleek and pretty as wp7 but at this point it does more little features and we all knpw of the support it gets, As I said Im going only wp7 or IOS, I hate the way android is all over the place.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
The only reason I got my trophy was to see if I liked it until the next iphone came out. Now two months later no way would I get the iphone. Now in a year if WP isn't growing (an unlikely scenario imo) I'll consider switching platforms, but right now I'm sold on WP7.

joemd60

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I had the first generation iPhone and did not like it. It felt too much like an iPod with a phone added to it, and all those useless apps that came with it also.
While I like having a smartphone, I also like simplicity. So I have no intention of becoming another iSheep.

GekkoAce

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I might buy one to try out a few days. Then I'll jailbreak and sell it on eBay, take the $ and buy an unlocked Nokia WP7 :)

I'm guessing it'll be ~$199 on contract.. I'm sure I'll be able to sell it for ~$600 jailbroken. :)

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely, unequivocally NO!!! Didn't want an iPhone when I bought my Focus and I still don't. Outside of having iOS 5 (big deal) there is nothing about the specs that make it particularly special. There are dozens of handsets out there with dual core, 8MP, blah blah blah and I don't care about any of them either.

To be fair, the A5 chip's GPU just completely destroys the competition:
AnandTech - ARM's Mali-400 MP4 is the Fastest Smartphone GPU...for Now

If the iPhone 5 uses the same A5 chip that the iPad 2 uses, it's going to be head and shoulders above any other smartphone. There is a chance they will use the single-core PowerVR SGX543 graphics rather than the dual-core 543MP2. Either way, though, it's going to be quite powerful.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I like the idea of getting one for the Misses (she currently has a pretty nice feature phone). However, I know that when she upgrades she wants something to use our Zune Pass with and that's not happening on the iPhone. The biggest hurdle we have now is that she's on Sprint and I'm on AT&T. I want(ed) to switch but Sprint doesn't have any WP7 phones I want. Plus, we just moved and Sprint doesn't have great service in the area (yet they have a store right up the street).

GekkoAce

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
To be fair, the A5 chip's GPU just completely destroys the competition:
AnandTech - ARM's Mali-400 MP4 is the Fastest Smartphone GPU...for Now

If the iPhone 5 uses the same A5 chip that the iPad 2 uses, it's going to be head and shoulders above any other smartphone. There is a chance they will use the single-core PowerVR SGX543 graphics rather than the dual-core 543MP2. Either way, though, it's going to be quite powerful.

It has to be the best. They sell the same 1 phone (maybe two this year?) for over a year... Three a4 was the best at launch as well.

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
It has to be the best. They sell the same 1 phone (maybe two this year?) for over a year... Three a4 was the best at launch as well.

No it really wasn't. A4 had the same GPU that the old iPhone 3GS used. Samsung's Hummingbird significantly outclassed the A4.

Anyway, look at that benchmark I just posted. A5 isn't just a step up from the competition. It's an order of magnitude more powerful than its closest competition (the Mali 400 GPU in the Samsung Exynos SOC), which itself is head-and-shoulders above the rest of the pack.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte