Why I had to call it a day (for now...)

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I haven't been around much for a while as I've been unwell with mild pneumonia (I know, woe is me!), but also because my power-schizophrenic Lumia 800 was off for battery testing. And the result? Apparently, it was fine.

Which unfortunately means, it isn't fine for me. For whatever reason (software, hardware, a combination of the two) it was still behaving erratically with regards to battery life, and by testing it myself using data on/off and airplane mode on/off I've pretty much nailed the cause to be the Orange/T-mobile network sharing we have here in the UK, and the fact that my house is in a borderline area that means in some rooms I lose Orange signal and drop to the T-mob network.

I've had people suggest charging every night as a solution but I'm afraid that's not an acceptable solution. I have a top-end smartphone that allegedly has a 2+ day battery life (loads more apparently with the latest battery update, which mine had) - therefore I should get that, not 1 day somedays, 2 days somedays, three quarters of a day some days, and I should be able to use all of its features and not have to shut some of them off "just in case". When I have to start making excuses for my phone and babying it along, something's not right.

And there's the other issue - the fact that while my 800 was off being peered at by Nokia, a friend lent me their spare iPhone 4 they were looking to sell anyway. Not a 4S, just an iPhone 4 (and an 8Gb one at that). It was my first proper go with an iPhone using iOS5, and it was an eye-opener.

Basically, I can't now go back to the live tile set up as is, because I've seen the alternative and it now looks plain inadequate. WP needs a notification centre equivalent so badly it's unreal, because right now, if you want a phone that lets you get in, check the things that matter to you (and know that those things are 100% bang up to date and that you haven't missed anything), and get out as quickly as possible, WP is *not* the phone for you. The simple options to let you customise how apps notify you, what apps notify you, where those notifications are and so on makes iOS5 *so* much more useful it's like a whole new OS. And push barely seems to have any battery life impact - I have been getting 2+ days solid, every time, with moderate use. Exactly what I would expect.

Compared to disappearing toasts (a scenario that now seems a flat out ludicrous design decision), lockscreen access for 1st party apps only, hubs that only have a subset of the functionality of full apps so can't replace them whatever anyone says and live tiles that are limited in what they show and can be 1/2 an hour out of date, and it's a no brainer. Mango had the edge over the iPhone when it was just in-your-face alerts and badges for sure, but the tables have turned 180 again.

It's also been lovely to not have to fight the awful WP Connector for Mac software, enjoy wi-fi sync and seamless iCloud backup (truly brilliant - it's so flawless, you almost want to wipe your phone and restore it to show it off!), and to be able to play decent games again - something that right from day 1 of my use of Windows Phone people have said have been coming but they *still* aren't here (The Verge review of the 900 points out that some top sellers in the games marketplace have been there since launch - that's truly astounding, and not in a good way). And after jailbreaking, I can even customise what I want without paying a huge fee to do so (SBSettings is still a work of genius).

Am I totally done with WP? I really hope not, but it depends. I think MS have got a lot to address in Apollo - a lot more than I realised until I went back and tried the alternatives again - but if they can do it without having to leave too many current users for dead they still have as good a chance as ever, and I'm perfectly happy to look again when the new Apollo handsets come along. And I'm also sorely tempted to pick up a Lumia 610 when second-hand ones start popping up. Partly as I always have a second phone for work, partly so I can keep my hand in and keep access to the generally excellent Nokia apps.

But for now the 800 has gone to join its many brothers and sisters on eBay to pay for my "new" phone, which I can't deny I'm absolutely delighted with - I needed something I could absolutely rely on that was also powerful *and* fun to use. I nearly had that with the Nokia, but in the end there were just too many little niggles (and one very big one) to ignore. But I definitely have it now.

Ta for all the help with issues and the like, and I will genuinely miss this community, which is pretty splendid.

Cheers!

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Well it sucks that it couldnt get worked out but you aren't going to sell us on Apple products.

Since you are going have it for a bit maybe, I'll be curious to see if you run into the battery life/heating problems that quite a few other people seem to have and the WiFi issues seem a bit ridiculous. All forgetting the class action lawsuits filed. Maybe one day you will even be able to attach files to emails from the email

cormasco

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
Have fun with the grip of death on Iphone4. I have 2 friends with them and there always fading out during calls. I have another friend who has the 4s and it doesn't seem to have the problem.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Have fun with the grip of death on Iphone4. I have 2 friends with them and there always fading out during calls. I have another friend who has the 4s and it doesn't seem to have the problem.

The Apple forums still seem to have a large amount of complaints around buttons, battery, wifi, and signal. You can get your 15 bucks from the lawsuit settlement now though. I wonder what will happen with this potential SiRi lawsuit

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, the iPhone 4 has issues too, as does literally every other handset ever made. But you know what? When I went to bed last night, I had 50% battery. When I woke up, I had 49% battery and plenty of updates that were up to date.

That's what I need, and a vast improvement on what I had, so everything else is largely moot. If problems do come up, I'll deal with them then - as I had to with the Lumia.

And I'm not trying to sell anyone on anything - that'd be a stupid plan on a Windows Phone forum. But other people in shops will, and anyone who can look at things objectively will agree: no notification centre equivalent in Apollo will make WP a dead duck. It's an omission that needs fixing, end of story, and I'm just throwing in my experience. That's not pro-Apple or pro-Android (because they have it too), it's just common sense design if MS really do want to stay in the game and just all the more obvious now they're the only major mobile OS without it.

But hey, I'm not going to get into this because I know where it'll go and it'll end up being "Oh you never really wanted a Windows Phone anyway/didn't give it a chance/probably never really had one and were just trolling" etc., and I don't want a relatively pleasant year of using this forum to wind up a nitpicking fight full of first-world problems about who's got the best bit of technology that'll be obsolete in a few years anyway. Life's too short.

Enjoy your phones guys (and girls), whatever they are.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Sad to see you go, Pronk. But, I appreciate your decision to go with what works best for you, at this time.

The battery issue seem to be very hit 'n miss on the Lumia 800. Chatting to a few sales reps, they said that some people encounter problems, whilst others are running perfectly fine.

Regarding the notifications, it's certainly one of WP's weaknesses. We've been saying it for a while now - anything Facebook related, live tiles, and push notifications are all lazy. Apollo really needs to tighten this up as it's clearly a deal breaker for many. I also wouldn't mind the 'swipe left' idea for user notification history.

Personally, I can persevere... there's no way I'm going back to Apple - zero chance and Android isn't even an option. BB is slowly dying and I'm also attached to Metro UI... everything else feels inferior in comparison.

Enjoy the iPhone and hopefully Apollo will win you back.

All the best.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
it is so unfortunate that issues like these are deal breakers fro so many... as stated all phones have problems, but to this extent is unacceptable. im wondering how it is possible for one person to say theirs is the best phone they have ever owned, and another cant keep battery juice. obviously has to be something causing this. just wish you had more time to find out what it actually is. i have had the iphone 4, ( my wife still does) a slew of androids, and i keep coming back to windows phones. i have decided that i am a windows guy. always have been always will be. it completes my eco system, and works for me. good luck, but i have a feeling you will be back, there is something about this metro UI that is like crack... or like pringles for a euphenistic analogy, once you pop , you cant stop... lol

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys - I'll pop back once I get the 610 :)

Sadly, re: the battery issues - I'm not alone, nor am I alone in having Nokia say the phone doesn't seem to be at fault. Fingers crossed whatever gremlin some 800s have, the 900 is much healthier.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Sadly I am starting to feel the same way about my Trophy. I love the speed and smoothness plus the integrated facebook and twitter, but once I get past that there are definitely some shortcomings that really bug me. I am hoping Windows 8 addresses some of the issues I have before my next upgrade.

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Pronk, been cheating on WP with a 4s for a few months, and agree with your observations. Mango is great, iOS is just a little further along at this point. Although, I still use my Omnia 7 to keep my hand in wp as well.

Too bad you cant combine the storage/notifications/apps in ios with the metro/email/keyboard/ease+speed of communicating with friends of WP. You'd have the perfect phone!

Not having pinned contacts on the home screen makes it so much more time consuming. The apps will get there at some point, there's too much money in Redmond for it not to.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I always like seeing a poster find something that works for them. My boyfriend is dealing with sucky H20 wireless and their 1 gb data cap (RIDICULOUS) because he loves his iPhone 4 that much. Some things work better for some people

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I would've gotten a 900 instead of a STUPID iPhony.

Brilliant - I popped back just for a browse and I knew you wouldn't let me down by missing an opportunity to have a ****** moment, eric.

After everything I said, and after all the grief I had with a Nokia, you said I should have got... another Nokia. In fact, I suspect you'd buy and recommend a pocket calculator if MS released it as Windows Phone 8, and would make excuses for why you didn't need to text or phone or run apps because you could just use your new "phone" to work out the change you need for the nearest payphone or internet cafe.

My new phone isn't "stupid" because it works and does what I need it to, and offers things I would like and cannot get on what I had previously at this time. What would be stupid is to stick with something that doesn't work, doesn't do what I want and doesn't offer what I want simply because it has a certain name stuck to it, whether that name be Nokia or Apple or Samsung or whatever. Or be incapable of coping with valid criticism of the products of a company you don't even work for or have any vested interest in (and likewise they have no vested interest in you, and in fact don't even know you exist) without throwing a hissy fit. That's pretty stupid too.

Here's hoping you grow up one day and get some objectivity, and realise that - gasp - it's possible for people to like more than two products at once AND both like a product and still find flaws with it that prevent their being able to use it. In the meantime, be aware that in being so hilariously obsessed you probably do far more to drive people away from the platform who's leg you keep furiously humping than you do tempt them to give it a try, whereas terrible old disloyal me with my awful, awful iPhone probably get listened to when I suggest people might want to try WP (and I often do) because I find out what the person needs and give them an honest opinion. And that, my friend, is the funniest thing of all. You're your own worst enemy.

Everyone else - still looking forward to seeing what WP8 brings. Shame it seems the 610 won't be out for ages though, so that's scuppered my plans to pick one of them up for now!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99