Apple starting own cell company?

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Link - Apple will soon offer wireless service, expert believes | Fox News

If there is any truth to this, I think it would be the best thing to ever happen to WP. Based on Apple's past, if they did this, it wold be a cell company that would only have iPhones and iPads. I could also see them stop selling iphones on all of the other carriers. That would mean a consumer would be locked into a contract in which they have zero choice of phone in a sense. I think that might scare some more casual users away. Also, if they did pull the iPhone from other carriers, those carriers would have to replace the iPhone sales with other phone, SUCH AS WP7 PHONES. That would be absolutely huge.

Still only going to take this with a grain of salt considering that it doesn't even say if Apple would try to buy it's own spectrum or rent from the big four. It also doesn't come with any source backings from inside the company. That said, I kind of hope it happens.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Link - Apple will soon offer wireless service, expert believes | Fox News

If there is any truth to this, I think it would be the best thing to ever happen to WP. Based on Apple's past, if they did this, it wold be a cell company that would only have iPhones and iPads. I could also see them stop selling iphones on all of the other carriers. That would mean a consumer would be locked into a contract in which they have zero choice of phone in a sense. I think that might scare some more casual users away. Also, if they did pull the iPhone from other carriers, those carriers would have to replace the iPhone sales with other phone, SUCH AS WP7 PHONES. That would be absolutely huge.

Still only going to take this with a grain of salt considering that it doesn't even say if Apple would try to buy it's own spectrum or rent from the big four. It also doesn't come with any source backings from inside the company. That said, I kind of hope it happens.

You believe things Fox News tells you?

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Where is Apple going to get spectrum from? Even the big carriers are trying to scrounge off what they can. Why do you think ATT tried to buy Tmo?

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Isn't the US going to have a wireless spectrum auction in the future? If that's the case Apple could buy up a huge chunk with their large cash reserves.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Isn't the US going to have a wireless spectrum auction in the future? If that's the case Apple could buy up a huge chunk with their large cash reserves.

Can they really buy enough spectrum to cover enough of the US to compete with the big boys? I mean they've had a few decades headstart. Plus it's an auction, the other carriers can easily push the price up knowing Apple needs to buy. (I've been watching too much Storage Wars LOL)

kg4icg

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Apple would have to become a MNVO because they would not be able to get enough spectrum, and considering the time it would take and plan on building out a new cellphone network, it would be more than 3 years before it would be completely finish and that is after you have all your ducks in a row with licenses and permits and variances from all that is evolved with states and municipalities.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Buying T-Mobile or Sprint would probably be cheaper, and easier for them.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
So let me get this straight, Apple is predicted to take matters into their own hands because carriers are supposedly threatening iPhone profit margins by decreasing subsidy? So Apple's solution to prevent decrease in profit margin is to dig deep into their investors' pockets and either buy a smaller carrier or rent towers from exisiting carriers AND subsidize their own devices? I think profit margin will continue to go south if they did that.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs