Apple Iphone losing popularity?

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
My 13 year old sister was super happy to pick up a Lumia 900 this past summer. Although, her getting one defies the article as part of the reason she got it was because she was used to using my mom's Windows Phone.

WP also happens to be really different and exciting. Plus the variety of colors and themes is good for kids too, and the social integration.

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
WP also happens to be really different and exciting. Plus the variety of colors and themes is good for kids too, and the social integration.

This comment I think actually gets at the core reason or at least one of the core reasons why Microsoft designed not only WP8 but more importantly Windows 8 the way they did. There is a bit of a learning curve to learn Windows 8 if you are and adult and very familiar with previous versions of Windows OS, but if you're a kid just starting to use computers, Windows 8 OS is probably going to make a lot more sense than other operating systems.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
My mother has an iPhone provided by her work and I tried using it a bit while home for Christmas this year. I can't stand it. The integration between the mac desktop and iPad is nice, but I don't care for the OS itself. I prefer WP8 or Android in comparison.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
iPhone is at the state when even grandparents start to have them, which automatically makes it not-cool for teens :p

I think pretty much every mobile OS is going that direction. I know grandparents with iphones as you suggest, but I also know them with Galaxy S3's and even HTC 8x. I think we are just going to have to resign ourselves to the idea that grandparents are going to be in on tech from now on.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Well the iphone is solid platform, the part only that has started to fall out is lack of innovations with good user experience off lately, on top the same icons (it has started to become boring) as opposed to live tiles which are UX wise way ahead than the ios icons, live tiles are cool and so are the equally live colors the phones come in..definitely suited for youngsters

Mafiatounes

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
When i hold a iphone it's same old same old i used a ipod touch, iphone 4 and 4s a year ago but the user interface stays the same wich is kind of borring, i have to say even if it is borring it works good and the ecosystem is awesome just not innovating enough for me.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Well the iphone is solid platform, the part only that has started to fall out is lack of innovations with good user experience off lately, on top the same icons (it has started to become boring) as opposed to live tiles which are UX wise way ahead than the ios icons, live tiles are cool and so are the equally live colors the phones come in..definitely suited for youngsters

I thought iPhone had started adding in widgets similar to what is in Android. If so, that will likely blunt the lack of having live tiles.

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I got my mom the 8X for Xmas. I wanted her to be the coolest Granny on her block. Being able to pin tons of pics of her grand daughter was a huge sell.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Forbes is hardly the definitive source tech news. I remember the hack piece they did on WP so I'm pretty skeptical.

I agree, never trust old men in suits when they speak about the thoughts of teenagers* ;-)

But here in Switzerland everybody uses an iPhone: the more iPhone 5, the better. Nonetheless I really start to feel, as if the iPhone just isn't this icon it once was anymore.

*Even if the article itself is written by an older lady with disgustingly dyed hair.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
That's just absurd. So are PCs gonna be uncool because parents and grandparents are starting to use them?

Not all PCs become uncool for the teens when grandparens start using them. That's why currently the grandparents use Windows while all the cool kids have Macbooks and whatnot :D

It was mostly a light hearted joke anyways, but I think there is a hint of truth to it as well. When something reaches the kinda widespreadedness that even the last people to adopt technology (grandparents) start to have them, it pretty much is as the state where it starts getting replaced within the young generation. It goes with everything that resembles cool or fashion. One day's fashion is another day's common clothing and then new trend comes in, set by a minority.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I just observed this last night:

Went out to eat, being by myself I sat at the bar. I like to observe people, and this REALLY caught my attention. I watched 3 people and the bartender passing around their iPhones, sharing information. Finally one of them spoke up with "Why F*^%$ can't we just tap our phones to share stuff instead of passing phones around?" Besides me, someone else down the bar hear it, spoke up and said "My phone does that." showing an Android phone. I too spoke up, "So does mine." showing my Windows Phone.

Then it got really interesting. The iPhone owners all went on a 30 minute tirade about Apple. They had either 4, 4s, 5 phones, but they all agreed that when their contracts were up, they were leaving the Apple eco system, damn the money they've spent on Music, apps, etc. They have had enough. I asked them "What about the new iOS 7, or the new phone coming soon, are you looking forward to that?" I thought that would stump them into thinking, but they all came back to "Nope. We've seen iOS 7, it's ugly and old". As for the new phone... They heard the rumors, and even if got all the bells, whistles, and whatever, that it's not getting, they were leaving.

It got even MORE interesting when more people around the bar started chiming in with their discontent with Apple. I almost lost my drink when someone said "Apple has jumped the shark." That got some good laughs, but a lot of agreements. I was also surprised at hearing about people showing interest in the Windows Phone over Android. One guy saw that I showed my Windows Phone and came over to ask to look at it (he was an Android user), I let him look around and use it and he was impressed.

To suffice to say, I was utterly dumbfounded at the scene.

Last edited:

KitN

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I've been an iPhone owner since 2007! I got mine the first day it was released and have had every version of the iPhone since... Then I got so sick and tired of that stale OS and jumped ship to Android and Windows Phone.

I agree. I alot of iPhone owners are fed up with Apple and that tired a$$ iOS. They're jumping ship to Android and WP even ahead of the release of the new iPhones and iOS7. They don't care. They're done... And so am I.
Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa