iOS 7 going for a "flatter" look...

frankly1100

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
So there's an article up on iMore about Jony Ive going for a much more "flatter" look in iOS 7. The article goes:

"There've been a lot of rumors lately about how Jony Ive, now in charge of all human interface across Apple, may be reducing or eliminating the use of heavier textures, gradients, skeuomorphs, and other rich visual elements in iOS 7. Everything from buttons to icons, tabs to panels, bars to skins seems ripe for a subtler, flatter, more digitally authentic refresh. But what does that mean exactly?

For some, "flatter" could just mean taking things down a notch -- less severe gradients, lighter shadows, shallower bezels, fainter textures, and an overall refinement of what's already there. For others, "flatter" means scorched earth -- no gradients, no shadows, no bezels, no textures, and an utter obliteration of all that was.
"

Now I'm not one to read too much into things like this, but, does it seem like they're talking about a "Modern" look or dare I say "Metro". It could be nothing but it's interesting nonetheless.

morridoom

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Not sure what to make of this. Not really a big fan of the "flat" look that is so common nowadays. Certain brandings do pull it off, like Twitter, etc, but it'll take some time to adjust looking at app icons all flat-styled.

anon5664829

Banned
Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
So there's an article up on iMore about Jony Ive going for a much more "flatter" look in iOS 7. The article goes:

"There've been a lot of rumors lately about how Jony Ive, now in charge of all human interface across Apple, may be reducing or eliminating the use of heavier textures, gradients, skeuomorphs, and other rich visual elements in iOS 7. Everything from buttons to icons, tabs to panels, bars to skins seems ripe for a subtler, flatter, more digitally authentic refresh. But what does that mean exactly?

For some, "flatter" could just mean taking things down a notch -- less severe gradients, lighter shadows, shallower bezels, fainter textures, and an overall refinement of what's already there. For others, "flatter" means scorched earth -- no gradients, no shadows, no bezels, no textures, and an utter obliteration of all that was.
"

Now I'm not one to read too much into things like this, but, does it seem like they're talking about a "Modern" look or dare I say "Metro". It could be nothing but it's interesting nonetheless.
Well I was hoping for an overhaul to iOS finally it's coming.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Not sure what to make of this. Not really a big fan of the "flat" look that is so common nowadays. Certain brandings do pull it off, like Twitter, etc, but it'll take some time to adjust looking at app icons all flat-styled.

And you're on a Windows Phone forum because...?

I think iOS 7 will see reduced gradients etc. Something more along the lines of what the Chrome browser looks like on a desktop. Apple has always been the best at creating good UI renderings using 3D effects.

benjiprice

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I think it's pretty exciting for iOS to have Jony Ive heading it up. He's certainly been masterful in his hardware designs, even if Apple exaggerates their magic. Depending on how it turns out I might be tempted back, having left after the iphone 3G.

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
The big thing I'm glad they are getting rid of (or so they say/we can hope) is skeuomorphic elements (I hope I spelled it correctly). knowing how apple is, I'm sure that iOS will look different, but not be too different. As much as I love MS, one thing that people don't like about them is their abrupt design transitions from like win 95/98 to xp then xp/vist/w7 and w7 to metro in win8. I hav eno issues with it, I love change in computers and UI, but many people don't react so kindly towards it. One thing I've always liked about apple is they gradually and slowly change things, although they also have many more OS updates than MS does anyways.

Personally, I love metro and how modern and stylish it looks. iOS looks dated and does need an overhaul so I hope that iOS looks good and probably will knowing that its apple + jony Ive doing it.

This is an awesome year for technology, google vs MS vs apple vs amazon, all of them are making excellent products at the moment!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon