QR / 2D Barcode Scanner

IamNabil

Dec 10, 2010
alanbar.us
I think the use of 2d codes is still early enough that it isn't quite ubiquitous yet. And I know that if I ask father, the mechanic, to install software, he will know who microsoft is. He won't know some small home dev shop. And ultimately, as an advertiser, you shouldn't care which app is installed. As long as there is a reader available for the platform, you should be happy, right? And there is no platform that can read QR that can't read tag. And a tag can store much more information than a QR code, which is something that an advertiser should care about.

IamNabil

Dec 10, 2010
alanbar.us
Oh, and one more reason why someone in marketing would want to use tags. They are, by nature, trackable. Statistics are available online and immediately.

gbrayut

Dec 16, 2010
www.phrasememe.com
QR Codes embed information, MS Tag requires lookup

I think there are benefits to both options, but one big advantage that QR Codes have is they actually embed information in the barcode, where as MS Tag requires a lookup in a database on Microsoft's servers. On smartphones this isn't a big deal, but QR Codes can be used in offline situations to transfer information directly between devices.

Also the MS Tag SDK is very limited. It will let you create codes but does not allow you to read existing codes. There is a request to add read support to the SDK (see SDK for building tag-reading apps? ) but it doesn't look like that will be implemented any time soon. That means the only way to read MS Tags are using their application, which stifles innovation and limits use of the barcodes to URLs and a few other formats supported by their application. QR Codes already has standard formats for Geolocation data, calendar events, or WiFi network settings, and anyone can create new specialized formats and an app to parse them.

Bei337

Dec 14, 2010
wpwallpaper.com
ShopSavvy is out on MarketPlace! Finally...

Next step is for MS to make the scanning API more friendly so we could use real time scanning instead of this take a picture then analyze hassle.

bc3tech

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I just finished developing a Windows Phone 7 Barcode scanner based on the ZXing library. You should be able to find it in the marketplace under PhraseMeme Scanner or get more information from PhraseMeme Scanner

There are two big issues with the WP7 platform right now when it comes to barcode scanners. First there is very limited access to the camera. Basically all you can do is launch the camera app and have the user take a picture. This means you cannot setup the photo for micro focus, change the resolution, or use a video stream for real time scanning. Second the framework automatically downsizes photos to around 1 Megapixel, so while you might take a 5MP photo it will be processed at 1MP.

I had to do some image resizing to get ZXing to process the photos correctly, and while it works pretty well on my phone in good lighting conditions it might not work well on other phones.

If you download the PhraseMeme app you can take photos and try processing them. If the photo doesn't process correctly try saving and emailing it to the support email address and I'll see if I can improve the scanning algorithm. The next version of the app will make this process much easier so that I can get real world data and hopefully greatly improve the scanning performance.
One Suggestion for you would be to put "2d barcode" in the descript of your app. I searched marketplace for that and your didn't pop up. I think you'd want it to.

ratsttam

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
really dont need an app to read the qr codes.

this is built into bing search on the phone.

THIS is why there isn't much in the way of QR scanners for WP7/ WP8. Both my Arrive (wp7.5), and my 8xt (wp8 gdr2), I just simply hit the search button, then the eyeball, aim at QR code, done.
Regular barcodes (UPC) it scans the numbers then can search that. Results can be mixed if your UPC code is the same as other number strings.

Wilsen Hernandez

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Isn't Bing Vision good enough?

I have read almost every QR Codes out there with that reader. It is integrated on every Windows Phone.

You just have to press the Search button and go to Vision. It opens automatically and it is actually scanning in real time (no need to take a photo of it everytime)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)