"Sharing" Zune Pass

bmbriefs

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone,
My wife and I just got new wm7 phones. We have had Zune's for the past few years and have been sharing a zune pass between us using the same login. Part of why we wanted to go to wm7 (from Android) was that we liked the Zune pass so much and we'd like to carry one less device with us.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone else share's there zune account with a family member on their wm7 phone. I would love if we could just share the zune account while having a separate live accounts so we could have our own skydrive, xbox live, etc.

Anyone do this?

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to start doing this with my brother as soon as I figure out if I can keep him from buying songs instead of downloading them.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I don't think you can do this its probably not legal so I have to close this thread sorry.

"Arrive" at the conclusion >>-----> WP7

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Guys I get it you want to talk about this. I want you guys talking and yes I am reopening this thread. The reasons I am reopening the thread are first Microsoft is very capable of protecting there own software copyrights etc.. they don't need me to do. Second I respect everyone in these forum you guys rock so if you want to discuss this I don't want to stop you I want to help encourage everyone's participation in the forums.

That said this from MS on the Zune pass:

5. Your service account and associated accounts

Only you may use your service account. You must keep your passwords confidential and not authorize any third party to access or use the service on your behalf unless we provide an approved mechanism for such access. You must tell us right away if you suspect misuse of your accounts or any security breach in the service. For some parts of the service, you may be able to set up additional accounts that are dependent on your account (“associated accounts”). You’re responsible for all activity that takes place with your service account and any associated accounts that you set up (and that is caused by your negligent behavior or omission).

Please don't make me quote anything else it took me forever to read through the thing. As long as the discussion doesn't violate anything in the Marketplace Terms of Use I wont interrupt this thread again.

Zune Terms of Service | Zune.net

Enjoy the discussion
Dave

gibbyhome

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
there has been a way in the past that me and my wife shared a zune pass account with different ID's, now I don't know if this is possable anymore
the way it was done is
1 create the zune pass on one pc in your home with your ID, logon and setup you music that you want,
2 on the second pc you would create the zune account without the zune pass,
3 you would install windows live mesh on both computer
4 you would sync you my music folders with both PC's
5 all you music would need to be added from the main computer with the Zune Pass
6 at this point my wife was able to listen to the music that was on the zune pass under her account on the second pc, we never synced with any devices or anything like that and I don't know if this would still work
my wife now has her own Zune pass per my request because zune kept sugesting country music to me and I don't like country..

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Its actually in the terms of service. Three devices per account, and a Microsoft MVP didn't shoot the idea down on Microsoft's help forums. Could you unlock that last thread, and remove this one, to keep the conversation flowing?

Zune Pass with 2 Windows Phones - Microsoft Answers
from what i'm reading, it is possible and is legal to do so... if it isn't, then that MS moderator is in big trouble. lol.

best way from reading is to start a Family Live ID and associate your personal account with it.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I know I read that when I signed up. Three devices and the std, you can only delete/add a new device every 30 days. So you can have Zune HD and 2 WP7's for example, but they all MUST use the same Live ID.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Yeah. Using the same Live id is the catch. I've got to read up on parental controls before I let my brother connect his HD7. I don't need a 500.00 bill from MS because he can't remember the difference between by and download.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

bmbriefs

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, didn't mean to cause any controversy!

My wife has signed in with her own ID on her phone and it still allows us to sync our zune files with her phone even though the computer zune account is under my ID. She is unable to stream music on zune, but I think we can live with this arrangement. We'll see, maybe the usage rights will expire and it won't let her update them or something.

I understand in the terms of service that "you" are only supposed to use your zune pass. However, I can't help but think that MS doesn't really care that my "you" includes my spous. In fact, MS is probably overjoyed because I ended up buying 3 zunes and now 2 windows phones because of the zune pass. I may be getting a 360 on top of it!

It would be nice if they offered a "family pack" similar to their xbox live family pack.

ajlopo

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Windows Phone Zune multiple phones

According to the Zune Pass web site it seems they added the following:

"You can only use your Zune Pass on phones that use your Windows Live ID. Zune Pass is designed for a single user. If other members of your household have Windows Phones, they will have their own Windows Live IDs associated with their phones and therefore will not be able to use your Zune Pass subscription."

I have not tried syncing downloaded songs from Zune to another phone yet...

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
If this is true I am dumping both Zune Pass and WP7. If I paid for a phone it's MINE. If I decide to let someone use it, having to erase all the content on it is dumb. I'm glad I seen this, going to call my brother and tell him not to get that HD7 and get the G2.
According to the Zune Pass web site it seems they added the following:

"You can only use your Zune Pass on phones that use your Windows Live ID. Zune Pass is designed for a single user. If other members of your household have Windows Phones, they will have their own Windows Live IDs associated with their phones and therefore will not be able to use your Zune Pass subscription."

I have not tried syncing downloaded songs from Zune to another phone yet...
Why would one have two phones on a ZP. So it's saying that a father buys his wife and two kids WP7's. They will have to sign up for FOUR different Zune Pass accounts. That just doesn't make sense.

Last edited:

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
What MS needs to do is come out with a ZUNE PASS Family Plan like they did with XBOX Gold. Problem solved.

Better yet, I would be willing to pay $299/year to have 4 windows live IDs that were/xbox gold and ZUNE PASS active. Each ID of course with their 10 song credits/month.

An XBox Family Gold account is $99. Zune Pass Annual is $159. IMO... this would be fair

foosball

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Jax- It's actually saying you can share the ZP across different WP7 devices. The catch being that they would also have to share a Windows Live ID. As ong as long as you don't mind sharing your WLID then it will work fine. Not a very good solution but that's all that we got right now.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
They got to have some type of family plan coming. It's just insane to think a family would have 3 or 4 different zune accounts.
What MS needs to do is come out with a ZUNE PASS Family Plan like they did with XBOX Gold. Problem solved.

Better yet, I would be willing to pay $299/year to have 4 windows live IDs that were/xbox gold and ZUNE PASS active. Each ID of course with their 10 song credits/month.

An XBox Family Gold account is $99. Zune Pass Annual is $159. IMO... this would be fair

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Last time I purchased a CD I wasn't the only one to listen to it. Both my wife and daughter enjoyed the same music I purchased. That is legal. It is a bunch of crap that I can't share my purchased music from Zune Pass with a select few others in my household.

Sent from my flippin' sweet Quantum using Board Express

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
You can share the purchased music from Zune Pass with others. You can even burn CD's. That why you get 10 tracks a month. But for the other songs you stream and download, you are only borrowing those, so you can share them with any other Live ID, but notaith everyone. That's like sharing Sirus or premium cable with your neighbors. They can sit in your car or on your couch anytime. They just can't listen/watch in their own homes.

I agree a Zune Family Pass would be a good idea, but not with 10 tracks/per month per user unless you multiply the full price by X, less maybe 10% for a multiple user discount. Anything else is simply not fair. Maybe add $50 per family member, but without increasing monthly tracks.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Oh, well that would be fine. The quoted message from the Zune boards says for "individual" use only. But yeah, If i shared it would be with my brother and fiance.
Jax- It's actually saying you can share the ZP across different WP7 devices. The catch being that they would also have to share a Windows Live ID. As ong as long as you don't mind sharing your WLID then it will work fine. Not a very good solution but that's all that we got right now.

gibbyhome

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I don't think Microsoft is going to have a zune pass family plan, and I don't think it would be Microsofts choice not to, its the music lables! for them to come up with a Family plan which I'm sure they want to, they would need to go back to the drawing board with the music labels and re do the contract .. you are talking years, and 2 if microsoft is making money off zune right now, the music lables would demand more money !!
just look at google music ? I don't see it and its because the music lables are GREEDY

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I tweeted @ZuneSupport and got a response that they were fwding my request along with others. They are starting to get a lot of feedback about a Zune Family Plan.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs