11-03-2012 11:13 AM
198 ... 45678
tools
    The tile we use also doesn't count towards that endpoint issue as it's not using a push channel. This is unfortunately also the reason it's not 100% reliable on NoDo.

Everything should be much better in the Mango version as I'm sure my beta testers will confirm!
    08-30-2011 10:37 AM
    Everything should be much better in the Mango version as I'm sure my beta testers will confirm!
    Indeed Jay, not had any issuses at all, and the 24 million daily wpc alerts work perfectly. :)
    08-30-2011 11:07 AM
    I have a suggestion. How about a comment count indicator on each article in the lists (e.g., if there are 3 comments on the article, have a little talk bubble in the user's accent color with the number 3 and put it next to the article author and timestamp)?
    09-10-2011 08:45 PM
    I have a suggestion. How about a comment count indicator on each article in the lists (e.g., if there are 3 comments on the article, have a little talk bubble in the user's accent color with the number 3 and put it next to the article author and timestamp)?
    That's a good suggestion starblade, unfortunately it's not possible right now with how I retrieve content from the site. I may put this to the site guys and see if we could do it sometime in the future :)
    09-21-2011 11:30 AM
    im sorry, but i didnt read the whole thread, can we access and post on the forums thru this app?
    09-21-2011 12:49 PM
    No, you'll need Board express for that.
    im sorry, but i didnt read the whole thread, can we access and post on the forums thru this app?
    09-21-2011 01:11 PM
    I plan on adding it at some point, but it's relatively low priority right now as Board Express is an acceptable substitute.

In fact I think most of the features I've been looking to complete first are in the imminent Mango version, which I had to get sorted before the public release of Mango otherwise I'm quite sure the community would have demanded my head!
    I'm going to focus all my efforts on the adding comments feature that everybody (myself included) wants next, forum access will probably follow that.
    09-22-2011 05:29 AM
    Just got a notification of my latest bug fixed WPC app Jay. V1.5.01 Excellent. :)
    10-01-2011 04:12 AM
    One suggestion. Can there be a timezone setting so I can see the article published time as Pacific?
    10-24-2011 09:38 PM
    One suggestion. Can there be a timezone setting so I can see the article published time as Pacific?
    Hmmm, I get the time/date as a String from the site but yes I should be able to work out something... Look for this in a future release
    10-26-2011 03:07 PM
    Here's an "issue" with the layout of the app:

The stories are stacked vertically, but the main image for each one is also vertically placed. Images simply don't load instantly over 3G - this means that scrolling and reading is constantly interrupted as the stories above have their images loaded, bumping all the content down.

I know you're aiming for the ability to read at least the opening of each post, so the Weave implementation (having the image on the right of the story) won't work. I'm not too sure what you could do, but it's slightly annoying.
    10-27-2011 01:28 AM
    Here's an "issue" with the layout of the app:

The stories are stacked vertically, but the main image for each one is also vertically placed. Images simply don't load instantly over 3G - this means that scrolling and reading is constantly interrupted as the stories above have their images loaded, bumping all the content down.

I know you're aiming for the ability to read at least the opening of each post, so the Weave implementation (having the image on the right of the story) won't work. I'm not too sure what you could do, but it's slightly annoying.
    The aim was quite simply to have a different style to other newsreader apps out there and look a bit like you were flicking through a metro-ised version of the website. Of course if people have ideas for a better layout for these screens I'd love to hear them, I personally am not a fan of images on the left/right but I'd bow to popular vote.

The only other option would be to always have a gap there even if there was no image associated with the article which would mean a fixed size for each article and no stuttering.

Edit: I have actually just had an idea, I could have a small amount of an image shown behind and slightly above the article headline & author with a black gradient background to the text so it could be picked out on lighter images.

I'll have a play with that idea but I'm still open to any suggestions as always :)
    10-27-2011 04:36 AM
    I just got a update for your app? What's new. I also got a update for Board Express too.
    10-28-2011 04:26 PM
    I just got a update for your app? What's new. I also got a update for Board Express too.
    If it's v1.6 I'm afraid it's not an exciting one, it's just bug fixes and a change that Microsoft asked us to implement. The only thing you'll notice is a little change to the Images in an article, so that if there's only 1 image it takes you straight to the Image viewer rather than the tiled overview
    10-28-2011 04:49 PM
    Was just bug fixes 1jaxstate1 and a change in the way images are shown. :)
    10-28-2011 04:54 PM
    Cool deal.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express
    10-28-2011 04:54 PM
    Woops think we posted togther, sorry about that. :)
    10-28-2011 04:55 PM
    The only other option would be to always have a gap there even if there was no image associated with the article which would mean a fixed size for each article and no stuttering.
    Cant the image dimension be specified ?
    Im not familiar with programming, but in HTML, image dimension could be specified and while the picture is loaded, a placeholder with correct size can be rendered (because the image dimension is only part of the markup text and loaded together with the page).
    10-28-2011 05:30 PM
    Edit: I have actually just had an idea, I could have a small amount of an image shown behind and slightly above the article headline & author with a black gradient background to the text so it could be picked out on lighter images.

I'll have a play with that idea but I'm still open to any suggestions as always :)
    I know what you aimed for and it's much better than Weave in terms of being able to identify what you actually want to read. I think doing some kind of overlap or making the image size smaller wouldn't hurt - when I want to see the picture, I usually jump into the article anyway.

Can’t the image dimension be specified ?
    I’m not familiar with programming, but in HTML, image dimension could be specified and while the picture is loaded, a placeholder with correct size can be rendered (because the image dimension is only part of the markup text and loaded together with the page).
    Yes, but I think Jay is saying that it's a bit of a space-waster to have these placeholders when you might not even get around to loading the images. I agree with that notion, though on-the-whole I think the images don't need to be as big as they are.
    10-28-2011 08:00 PM
    Yes just watched the review, looks fantastic, very comprehensive. Can't wait to give it a spin. Well done Jay!!

10-31-2011 02:23 AM
    ok , you guys finally got my 99cents , i really wanted that live tile. lol
    11-15-2011 10:45 AM
    I was lucky enough to be chosen as a Beta tester and just wanted to say the next version (2.0) is looking fantastic.

Love the new main screen, but my fave thing is being able to chose the live tile I prefer and add comments to articles.

Another great update from Jay.

Not found any glitches yet which is annoying LOL ;)
    lantern20 likes this.
    12-23-2011 03:44 AM
    Just a wee reminder that Jay has completed version 2 of the WPCentral App.

UK Marketplace

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-GB/ap...b-78e7d1fa76f8

US Marketplace

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/ap...b-78e7d1fa76f8

Fantastic job again Jay. :)
    Jay Bennett likes this.
    01-19-2012 03:40 AM
    Very nice update Jay you've outdone yourself this time I think.
    01-19-2012 06:11 AM
    Very nice update Jay you've outdone yourself this time I think.
    Thanks Dave, does this mean it physically can't get any better? :D

Of course I know it can, I'll be working on v2.1 and 2.2 which will be bug fixes and then the full wallpaper functionality respectively, then a v2.5 to bring in an improved podcast experience.

After that I'll be taking a little break from Windows Phone development as v2 has been sucking up my now fairly limited spare time! But I promise the app will be back for a v3, including forum functionality, as I know that's the next big milestone people would like to see :)
    01-19-2012 07:59 AM
198 ... 45678
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD