Announcing the Official WPCentral app for Windows Phone 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Yes everyone, you read that right. After months of planning and developing, we are excited and proud to deliver our very own, official app. What's more, it is chock full of features, delivering almost every feature of our website in a streamlined, minimalist fashion.

Developed by Jay Bennett, the app has been submitted to the Marketplace and (fingers crossed) it should be live by Monday evening. So, enough chatter, lets hit the features:

• Read homepage, reviews, apps, games or how-to sections
  • View comments associated with each article
  • Watch videos and view pictures posted in each article
  • Full search for any previous articles, including by section
  • Search through YouTube videos from the site
  • Deep links to the marketplace with articles featuring other apps
  • Listen to the latest podcast on your device through the app
  • Clean, simple user interface design and great user experience
  • Sharing of articles through E-mail, SMS or Twitter
  • Full landscape support
  • Live tile for the latest headlines

Not too shabby for a v1.0, eh? The app comes in two flavors: the full, premium-experience version is $0.99--no ads, all the features or the free, unlimited "trial" version (same as full version, but has ads and some missing features--unlimited use though).

So check out the vid for the tour and in a few short days, you can be using it too. Feedback is welcomed, so comment away.

YouTube Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvRsO1PdPzo&feature=player_embedded

Last edited:

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys, long time forum user as many of you will recognise my mug on the left. I'm very proud of what we've accomplished and even more keen to get version 1.0 in the wild so I can identify anything we may have missed in our (exhaustive!) testing. I guarantee you'll see a version 1.1 within 10 days of publishing!

WayCool

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Looks good! But I did the same went straight to marketplace to find it lol! Guess I'll check there on Monday.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Very nice but how come I'm the last to know? Daniel WTF! ... LOL... I didn't get you guys anything

Seriously Jay very nice work I can't wait to point this app out to a few of my Android Central buddies. Jay judging from the video which I watched all the way through twice you have done a great job showcasing everything you can do with a WP app of this type. I can't wait till this hits the market I will be one of the first in line to buy it.

:cool: Dave

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Looks pretty awesome. I can't wait to check it out. Hopefully you guys are working on allowing commenting. That's one thing the mobile site lacks too.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Great looking app. I hate ads so I'll get the full version. I'll be looking out for it Monday night. I'm impatient. Where's the app! :)

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

Last edited:

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Hmmmm it's 8.35 PM here in the UK and still no wpentral app.

I take it it will be available in the morning here after arriving in the marketplace in the wee small hours ?

How will I ever get to sleep ? :eek:)

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I think they are finding, like I have many times, that the thoroughness of the testing procedure is quite detailed. Sometimes it takes longer then you think, and sometimes it comes back with failures that are like "wha". They test so many crazy combinations of hitting the back button and doing this and that with the app, and doing things it is just not designed to do with it.

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
The Monday estimate was based on my previous experience that it took 3 working days for certification, we submitted last Wednesday but as of yet we've not received certification. Rest assured the moment we have certification there will be an announcement :) stay tuned to the Twitter feed/site!

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Just to keep you guys on the forums up to date (assuming you haven't already seen the announcement on Twitter), the app has failed certification due to the use of logos. I'm working hard with the guys here at WPCentral who have made this their top priority and we'll let you know when we have more information to give you.

The good news is that this means we'll be launching with v1.1 which I've been developing based on feedback from some of our advanced testers. It contains 5 bug fixes & 4 optimisations and generally enhances the experience & performance of the application, rest assured work is still going strong!

Last edited:

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
If you need/want another developer to test it out I will happily help you. And you can never judge Marketplace certification times, sometimes my apps take 7+ days and sometimes it is done in 1 day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99