Is there any way to make a 3rd party youtube app the default for youtube?

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Like, when you visit a youtube link in IE, it prompts you to install the crappy official youtube app. I want it to use Lazyworm.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I believe the official app has the drivers necessary to view video, so that's just way it is. Same way your phone defaults to IE, regardless of how many other browsers (actually shells) you have.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully they will allow you to set your default apps for certain things in the future. Here's to hoping thats in Mango.

If there are going to be 3rd party messengers (which there will be come mango), then they may need to allow this ability.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I have browsed through quite a few registry keys and there is not much there that can be edited (or understood). Much different than the WinMo days. But if its possible my guess is the guys at XDA Developers have already figured it out.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I have browsed through quite a few registry keys and there is not much there that can be edited (or understood). Much different than the WinMo days. But if its possible my guess is the guys at XDA Developers have already figured it out.

or have tried and were unsuccessful.

LazywormApps

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Like, when you visit a youtube link in IE, it prompts you to install the crappy official youtube app. I want it to use Lazyworm.

Hi, unfortunately at this stage we can't achieve this however hopefully with Mango we may be able to get around this issue.

Although it's no ideal solution, we've added in the ability to paste a URL into the search field of LazyTube so that you can play YouTube videos you find outside the app.

Have given a demo of this working in the 2.3 update video below. Hope it helps.
YouTube - ‪YouTube (by Lazyworm) 2.3 Update Overview‬‏

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
or have tried and were unsuccessful.
Well, tried changing volume and all I did was change the volume counter from 30 to 40, but no increase. Tried changing the timeout from dim to off (its like 2-3 seconds now) and had no luck. Tried adding an 11th entry in the Accent color key and crashed all my 3rd party apps (apparently they look at this key for the default color and saw something foreign). Hard reset time. So I have searched through most of the accessible keys and have not found much anything interesting. Still trying to find the switch to turn off 3G (not all data, only 3G). Applied Schaps Advanced Config tweak but when you turn off the slider it does not stick (or do anything). I know it would save lots of battery a I use WiFi all day, and other devices do have this feature but not on my Surround.

If I had a test device I would tinker all day, but restoring 160 apps, plus all the logins/passwords are no fun. So let someone else prove it out first. Then I might give it a try.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Hi, unfortunately at this stage we can't achieve this however hopefully with Mango we may be able to get around this issue.

Although it's no ideal solution, we've added in the ability to paste a URL into the search field of LazyTube so that you can play YouTube videos you find outside the app.

thanks for the update.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
That would be awesome. Sometimes I click on a youtube link, and it pulls up the browser and says, "THIS VIDEO FORMAT CAN'T...." Kind of wack. But hopefully it'll be fixed soon.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Btw how come google doesn't have an official app in WP7? I remember liking Google so much at the beginning, what has happened to them? =(

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

thanks!

Tobyus

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Does anybody else have problems with apps like LazyTube, SuperTube, and eztube? To be more specific, over the last couple of weeks around 10 pm eastern, I cannot stream a single video through any of these apps, but the official youtube app has no problems. Netflix, Slacker, TuneInRadio, and Radio Hub all work flawlessly at this time as well. It's just the "unofficial" youtube apps that are affected. It's almost as if they are being throttled somewhere along the line (by AT&T or Google?).

I'm using an LG Quantum on AT&T running 7.0.7390.0
Firmware revision number: 1.1.3.11
Radio software version: 1.1.3.11

Since LazywormApps stopped by in this thread, I figured it was a good place to bring it up!

Dagolara

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had any issues with LazyTube at all, but I'll try to run it tonight around 10pm EST myself to see if I encounter any problems on my Quantum.

ETA: Tried it a few different times tonight after 10PM EST and had no issue what so ever.

Last edited:

Tobyus

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for testing it out :). The only other thing I can think of is network congestion in my local area. Maybe we've outgrown our available bandwidth.

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
It is a shame this one, a few people have asked that I link the WPCentral app into Supertube or Lazytube but it's simply not possible with the current SDK, at least standard YouTube looks good on WiFi and I can kind of understand the reduced quality when we're talking about your mobile data usage...

Tobyus

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I think I may have another idea on what may be happening. I have the "Unlimited" data plan with AT&T, but I've always heard rumors that it has a 5GB cap. Well, I looked at my last billing cycle (which just ended a few days ago) and I used nearly 6GB of data. I wonder if after 5GB AT&T started throttling my bandwidth?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea