Apps missing from WP7

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Is this for a "see, WP7 users feel they are using an OS that lacking what iOS and Android have," or is it for "WP7 users really like their phones, and here are some apps they'd like to see added in the future" kind of thing?

heyitwrx

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Is this for a "see, WP7 users feel they are using an OS that lacking what iOS and Android have," or is it for "WP7 users really like their phones, and here are some apps they'd like to see added in the future" kind of thing?

It is definitely not the first. It is more the second mixed with eliminating any reason why someone would pass on a wp7 for iOS or android. It will be an uphill battle no matter what, but if MS can remove some roadblocks such as not having Pandora it will make it easier on them.

rabit1

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Dropbox
Whatsapp
Google apps (Earth, Docs, etc)
more messaging apps (other than IM+)
somekind of bandwith report and controller app.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
It is definitely not the first. It is more the second mixed with eliminating any reason why someone would pass on a wp7 for iOS or android. It will be an uphill battle no matter what, but if MS can remove some roadblocks such as not having Pandora it will make it easier on them.

Something also worth mentioning is the way Mango integrates each app into the OS. That is quite a unique quality to WP.

justop26

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
WhatsApp
GPS Navigation that works around the globe (Nokia Maps SHOULD come to WP7)
Any respectable medical app there is available for other platforms (Epocrates, SkyScape, MedScape, etc.)

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Words with friends!
Oh we don't need that now with the excellent 'Words By Post' justinsims241, it's availalble on IOS, (Spit) Android (Bleurgh) and WP7 (Aaaawwww YUM!) so we can still play scrabble with those who haven't as much good taste as we do. ;)

Last edited:

MadMup

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I love my WP7, but I'd love it even more if these apps were available:

-Actual Scrabble: none of that "Words with Friends" nonsense

-Chase Bank: the "take a picture of your check and deposit via app" on the iPhone is the closest thing to magic I've seen on a smartphone

-Redbox: nearby locations, seeing what's available, reserving

-GetGlue: especially since I can't get their website to load

Those are my main wishes!

Dileu

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I know there are often alternatives to apps we see in iOS, Android et al, but alternatives are of no use if those iOS and Android users don't want to use them. And why should they, really?

I'd love to see Instagram, Words With Friends and Whatsapp running on my Trophy. A bear can dream...

Fleon

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Missing:
Pandora.
Oh, and Pandora.
Did I mention Pandora?

Ampache client...as a work around to no Pandora

box.net
snapfish
dropbox

PS
Pandora

There are a few very good dropbox clients- try LindyBox. There are a couple of others, but for some reason I like the layout of that one the most.

Fleon

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
WP7 isn't quite a year in, and anyone would be lying if they claimed that WP7 isn't missing a few needed apps. Here's my take on the whole thing, however: if you have a critical app that you absolutely need and it's not available on WP7 (you can search at wp7applist or marketplacebrowser.com), get a phone on a platform that has it. Otherwise, my opinion is that WP7 does 85% of what I do better than the competition. I'd rather have that 85% work better then have the remaining 15%. So, for my personal phone, I'm happy with WP7.

If you absolutely must have that 100%- get Android. If you want a stable experience with 95%- get an iPhone. So far, I haven't really felt like I'm missing much; certainly not enough to lose being able to do my 85% so much more smoothly.

antsmarchin

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I would like to see a better Yelp app (check ins, faster, etc) ...but I'm not holding my breath after seeing some comments on the internet

Candide yams

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm very much planning to switch to WP from Android once my contract ends and most of the apps I use regularly (Kik, Evernote, Kayak, netflix, wordpress, groupme) are available and others have easy replacements. Plus I think with mango we can see an increase in more apps since their specific APIs will now be available. Trillian please?

jcronin

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site

Does it matter? Either way, the answers should be the same. Let's not spin this here. Windows Phone 7 is an awesome OS objectively, subjectively it is my favorite of the bunch, but the one aspect it really still needs to catch up on is app support. Microsoft has been doing well in this regard, pushing development forward and getting good apps on board, but there is so much intertia for the iPhone and Android in this department that there's still plenty of work left to be done.

I'm not coming from an iPhone or Android but rather WM6.5. As such, I have a slightly different perspective than most. I don't "miss" apps I had on previous platforms. Instead, I find myself disappointed at times that apps I hear about and want do not exist for WP7. Here's my short list of apps that I've found myself wishing had been released for WP7 as well as iPhone and Android:

1) HBO Go
2) Optimum App (only useful for Optimum cable subscribers)
3) ESPN Fantasy Football
4) NY Giants (which even released for Blackberry but not WP7, and it JUST came out!)

Hm, that's all I can come up with now. I know there have been others but I can't come up them at the moment. I guess that means they weren't that important to me to begin with.

EDIT: That nagging feeling I had that I was missing apps wasn't actually about missing apps but missing functionality in apps. This should improve with Mango APIs, but nonetheless is currently lacking. Biggest example here is access to native hardware. For instance, no SkyView-style app like the iPhone has is currently possible without Compass and Camera API access. Also, deposit by picture in my BoA app is missing, again likely due to lack of a Camera API (though I wonder about this, as the Walgreens app allows refill by scan pre-Mango).

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss