Lack of GREAT Apps..

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
In all honesty, I very rarely see duplicates of apps, although I will confess that I don't routinely search for every app under the sun; I just get the ones that I'll actually use often.

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

xxjmontxx

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
In all honesty, I very rarely see duplicates of apps, although I will confess that I don't routinely search for every app under the sun; I just get the ones that I'll actually use often.

Fair enough.. but you dont need to search for every app under the sun in order to see what is going on in the market place. Next time you get a chance look at the new or free section and you will see what I am talking about.. many are by the same developers and are all more or less the same as far as style goes.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I will never get an Iphone. I can not stand Apple. Never have liked them and never will. I want Windows Phone to succeed. My frustration isn't with the OS. I like it, aside from the Live Tiles not working properly and the lack of Apps. but as for that claim about the market place, look at the apps in there. what is the point of growing the market with useless apps that are pointless and mostly put out for advertisement purposes.

I do think that Don'tHate has a point though. It could be worthwhile hopping over to the Droid or iPhone while the app store picks up...

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Fair enough.. but you dont need to search for every app under the sun in order to see what is going on in the market place. Next time you get a chance look at the new or free section and you will see what I am talking about.. many are by the same developers and are all more or less the same as far as style goes.

Something to bare in mind is, once we make the move over to Mango, the app store searches will look very different in their results.

xxjmontxx

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I do think that Don'tHate has a point though. It could be worthwhile hopping over to the Droid or iPhone while the app store picks up...

And I have considered that but i really was hoping that it didn't come to that. I love Microsoft and I really hope the flood of awesome apps happens for WP7. I really hope soon there is an Android or Iphone user complaining over why there is no certain app for their platform that WP7 has.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
And I have considered that but i really was hoping that it didn't come to that. I love Microsoft and I really hope the flood of awesome apps happens for WP7. I really hope soon there is an Android or Iphone user complaining over why there is no certain app for their platform that WP7 has.

I only wish for the recognition the WP deserves. The other platforms are healthy competition.

I choose the OS over tons of apps I won't use, but having said that, I know that its only a matter of time before the WP is up there with all the relevant apps.

I would definitely recommend contacting those devs and asking when they intend to release your favourite apps on the WP.

DontHate707

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
How many pointless apps are in the app store or in the Android market? Lol c'mon man your frustrations are popular apps like words for friends and fantasy football they'll come in time! Rome wasn't built in a day. I had webos before windows phone 7 they had literally 100 popular apps most of them were games lol i know about app frustration having friends with iPhone jailbreaking them and getting amazing apps. The point is its the fastest growing app store ever so that means the 2 years it took android to get words with friends, itll only take us what a year a maybe a couple months. Get something else so you can impress your co workers with a laggy droid with dual core blah blah and then look at that app store full of bull but guess what? It has fantasy football and words with friends.

tsaunders80

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Dictionary...wow.. great app.. look I mean c'mon.. where are the apps like "High Noon" or "Words with Friends" or "Hanging with Friends".. There are many apps that arent being developed for WP7 and that upsets me. I dont get to enjoy these apps and play online with my friends and family because there seems to be no intrest in WP7. I want to know why that is. Everyone knows that before WP7 release last year it was panned by many and claimed DOA. Has the lack of development in great apps proved those assumptions right?

Try words by post.

Everyone has a different definition of "must have" or "great" apps.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I check in the marketplace for various poddibilitid for sppd. I hver been searching for and trying to decide on an app to help manage my diabetes and keep track of my glucose readings that I can periodically transmit to my endocrinologist. There are a few and with mango update coming I expect more apps in most every category if theer are a lot of apps that I dont need or want I am not complaining about useless apps just because I dont want them does not mean that someone else wont decide that they can t be productive without that particular app.

jimmy1one

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
Why is there such a lack of GREAT Apps in the marketplace? By great apps I'm talking about apps that are popular on other mobile platforms that everyone who doesn't own a WP7 device has. Example.. There is no Yahoo! Fantasy Football app. I am the only one at work who doesn't have the app. Why? Because Windows Phone doesn't have it. I recently told a co-worker i had NFL Sunday ticket. He asked me if I was going to watch the games on my phone with the Sunday ticket app. I had to say no due to there being no such app in the windows market :/ His reply to that was, "what kind of phone do you have? Is it a smart phone??" Wow I felt embarrassed. I know mango is coming out soon but i don't see the new OS having anything to do with GREAT Apps being developed and without any awesome apps whats the main draw for WP7? I'm really close to jumping on the Android ship.. anyone have any input?
I understand your issue about app but in this case you' not entirely correct. The app you're referring to requires you to have Directv. I have Uverse I can watch everything on my phone including Redzone our Sunday Ticket and the app comes with every phone. You have a WP, the app is on the tile page there for all to see. BTW WP is never going to have Sunday Ticket it is a Directv thing only for at least ten more years. Redzone was allowed to be created by the NFL after a Congressional inquiry in the issue a few years ago:excl: besides I get Redzone as part of the HD upgrade package along with a few other preminum channels for 7 bucks.

Sparxy19

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
One of the main things that made me want a windows phone was some of the amazing apps that i noticed were available in the marketplace. There isnt exactly alot of apps available on the marketplace but imo the apps for wp are higher quality than the apps that you will find for android.
quality over quantity
Yes WP doesnt have some apps that we really wish it would but as others before me have said they will come as wp starts to be reconized by more of the big companys and the consumers.
More and more people seem to be getting windows phones (at least in AUS anyway) so surely more and more companys are going to make "great" apps for wp.

I have moved to WP because of all the crap that you have to put up with if you have an android.

jimmy1one

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
Begin Quote Redzone was allowed to be created by the NFL after a Congressional inquiry in the issue a few years ago besides I get Redzone as part of the HD upgrade package along with a few other preminum channels for 7 bucks. End Quote.
Sorry I was not supposed to post this it is not accurate. College Football Live is available at this time not Redzone. Some people are not going to be happy. I'm going to have some issues although I did not give the right name for the app in question I should have kept my mouth shut

M4arc

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I think it has to do with what you're interested in. I don't care about fantasy football or DVR. I am pretty happy with the apps that are offered at the moment but I would like to see more USEFUL apps in the marketplace so the OS can grow and attract more users. However, I'm not willing to jump ship until that happens.

If anyone is listening though I would like a US Airways app soon :)

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
If anyone contacts a developer about creating an app for wp, make sure you post it here and encourage others to contact the dev too. We should all help contact, even if just to show theres an interest from wp users. It does work sometimes.

hes so hott

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft needs to contact these companies, not users. A MS rep's contact would speak louder than 10 people emailing to ask for Words for Friends or whatever nonsense we all want.

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft needs to contact these companies, not users. A MS rep's contact would speak louder than 10 people emailing to ask for Words for Friends or whatever nonsense we all want.

I've heard that MS has done a pretty good job of actively soliciting apps, but business likes to hear from their customers and potential customers too, Devs more than most.

jimmy1one

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
I was hoping the OP would get down to real issue regarding Apps. Some of the things he was complaining about can not be accomplished by an independent App developer. For example the App he wanted originally NFL Game Ticket can only be provided by the content provider. In our case Att according to their own words are the largest WP7 ISP in the US. However it is a known fact that of the 35 pages of Apps available on their App Store less than 10 percent is available to us. How they can justify the situation is beyond me considering a lot of us have triple play and 4 Play. I mean the Apps are there for Iphone, Ipad, Android even Blackberry, WP7 not so much. Under some circumstances you can see it but when ATT is the content provider and the ISP it's difficult to grasp.

bruceatk2

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I picked up a Trophy on Friday. I got it to learn how to program it, but I thought I would be able to make it my daily use phone (I also have a Droid X). I immediately ran into several road blocks that will probably keep it from being my daily use phone. I would appreciate any work arounds you guys might have, and it might be some incentive for someone who has the skill to write some apps that do what I find missing.

1. I tried to connect my Trophy to my work e-mail (exchange). My company has specific policies that are not supported by Windows Phone. These policies are supported by Android and iPhone. On Android there is an app you can get called Touchdown that will support those policies even on phones that can't. I couldn't find any such applications for Windows Phone or that Microsoft will be supporting these policies (encryption is the main one) in the future.

2. I want to read epub files. The first book I tried, Microsoft's book on Programming Windows Phone 7, won't load in Freda or ezReader. My Droid X and iPod Touch can open it. It looks like it might be a size limitation. It's about 88MB and it seems to stop opening around 64MB.

3. I like to display a nice readable week and two week view of my calendar. I can't find anything that does that. I have used Jorta and Pocket Informant on other phones.

4. I use Documents to Go to retrieve and edit spreadsheets and documents from Google Docs. I can't find a way to do that with Office in Windows Phone 7.

5. Is there any app that lets you manage various ringtones and alert sounds. I am used to having different ring tones for different people and setting different sounds and repeat intervals for reminders when I have a missed call/sms/event.

Thanks, Bruce

condemned

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
There are a lot of good apps in the market place. My only gripe with the market is that overall the apps are more costly compared to the android market and Apple app store.

astroXP

Jul 1, 2011
twitter.com
I guess this is part of the early-adopter happy meal. But hey, when WP gets to the number one spot you'll proudly say you jumped the bandwagon because of the OS itself and not because of its popularity. Boy, that's definitely something that I'll brag about :p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786