The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
11-25-2011 06:26 PM
63 123
tools
    Justin Angel has a homebrew pandora app to satisfy you for the meantime. Go dev unlock your phone ASAP.
    11-21-2011 11:33 AM
    http://pandora.com now supports HTML5. If you have Mango, go there w/IE on your phone. Pin to your home screen. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    11-21-2011 11:49 AM
    Trust me, Slacker Radio is better...ps pay the extra 3.99 / month to get the plus service.
    Blacklac likes this.
    11-21-2011 06:38 PM
    who needs pandora when u have last.fm?
    THIS. Last.fm destroys Pandora.
    11-21-2011 09:02 PM
    Justin Angel has a homebrew pandora app to satisfy you for the meantime. Go dev unlock your phone ASAP.
    Have unlocked phone, where's the .xap?
    11-22-2011 07:23 AM
    Have unlocked phone, where's the .xap?
    right here
    11-22-2011 03:02 PM
    Trust me, Slacker Radio is better...ps pay the extra 3.99 / month to get the plus service.
    Slacker is terrible compared to Pandora. I got 3 months of Plus from Bing Rewards, used it for an hour or so and uninstalled the App (sadly it's baked into my Vibrant's ROM), never so be seen again. Free Pandora is miles better than that.

Slacker does have a much larger library of songs than Pandora, but their algorithms are TERRIBAD making that large library pretty much not matter.

The lack of a Pandora App is due to Pandora not wanting to develop one.

The HTML5 website is a terrible user experience compared to their Native Apps.

I do like Slacker's Offline Station Caching, though :)
    11-22-2011 10:36 PM
    THIS. Last.fm destroys Pandora.
    Slacker Destroys Last.FM, so how can Last.FM destroy Pandora - Pandora destroys Slacker...

Also, the Volume of the Last.FM app on my HD7 is too low to be intelligible. It's basically unusable. Pretty low bitrate, too.. (noisy audio).
    11-22-2011 10:37 PM
    Slacker Destroys Last.FM, so how can Last.FM destroy Pandora - Pandora destroys Slacker...

Also, the Volume of the Last.FM app on my HD7 is too low to be intelligible. It's basically unusable. Pretty low bitrate, too.. (noisy audio).
    sounds great on mine. Something must be wrong with ur device.
    11-23-2011 05:38 AM
    Complaining to the wrong place about the lack of Pandora. I don't get y people are so stuck on this anyway when there are so many alternatives such as Spotify, Last.Fm ,slacker radio AND Zune smartDJ (which is built in by the way and not on any other platform).
    The first app I looked for when I got my trophy was Pandora. Since then, Ive been forced to use zune.
    11-23-2011 08:46 AM
    The first app I looked for when I got my trophy was Pandora. Since then, Ive been forced to use zune.
    there's nothing wrong with using Zune and u are not "forced" to use it. Y can't u understand that?
    11-23-2011 01:26 PM
    Funny thing about Zune, I always avoided tapping the Smart DJ option as I dont have a Zune pass, yesterday I decided to try it and it made a mix of my downloaded music. Wasnt expecting that and it picked a good mix from what I had on the phone so now rather than just a few playlists I'm going to put all my music on my phone and use the Smart DJ for when I want to listen to tracks I havent heard in a while. Not a bad option to have.
    11-23-2011 02:06 PM
    I'm playing with Slacker now. It's every bit as good as Pandora as far as I'm concerned. I didn't realize it had the "Create a Station" option where you can add multiple artists. I also like that you can fine tune it as far as popularity, date, favorites, etc. Now I can create a station for my girlfriend and one with current pop music for the kids. Excellent!

I even pinned it to my start screen right next to Music and Video.
    sin_nombre773 likes this.
    11-23-2011 02:41 PM
    I'm playing with Slacker now. It's every bit as good as Pandora as far as I'm concerned. I didn't realize it had the "Create a Station" option where you can add multiple artists. I also like that you can fine tune it as far as popularity, date, favorites, etc. Now I can create a station for my girlfriend and one with current pop music for the kids. Excellent!

I even pinned it to my start screen right next to Music and Video.
    The issue with slacker isn't the stations, the capabilities of the app, the UI of the app, or the size of the library (which is probably twice as big as Pandora's).

It's that their algorithm is sloppy and seems to just pick music of a certain genre and lump it together, that's it. Pandora does a little more work. You spend less time downrating songs you didn't want in Pandora than you do in Last.FM or Slacker. That's why people prefer Pandora.

Slacker is decent, it's just not as good as Pandora.

Last.FM is better on devices where it supports scrobbling third party music players, that way it gains accuracy even when you're not using the actual app (which works well for people who tend to prefer a specific genre and play a couple dozen songs or few albums a LOT). On WP7 it doesn't Scrobble the Zune Player, so you end up downrating a ton of songs like in Slacker trying to get it level out.

Another thing I noticed in Slacker and Last.FM is that they repeat songs way too much.
    11-23-2011 03:30 PM
    sounds great on mine. Something must be wrong with ur device.
    The HD7 only has Mono Sound out of the external speaker, that doesn't help, either...

:(

But it's lower than Slacker even through headsets, and the bitrate makes for harsh, noisy sound...
    11-23-2011 03:32 PM
    The HD7 only has Mono Sound out of the external speaker, that doesn't help, either...

:(

But it's lower than Slacker even through headsets, and the bitrate makes for harsh, noisy sound...
    because the HD7 speaker wasn't built for music. Only phone for that purpose is the surround. That's common sense, seriously?
    11-23-2011 03:37 PM
    there's nothing wrong with using Zune and u are not "forced" to use it. Y can't u understand that?
    Because I had to install it on my PC to upgrade to mango. And you need to use it to put music on your phone. I haven't used slacker since I got the phone because it played a certain number of songs then asked to upgrade for a fee. Last.fm is pretty good but its not like Pandora.
    11-23-2011 04:04 PM
    Because I had to install it on my PC to upgrade to mango. And you need to use it to put music on your phone. I haven't used slacker since I got the phone because it played a certain number of songs then asked to upgrade for a fee. Last.fm is pretty good but its not like Pandora.
    so what's wrong with that? Slacker plays alot of music for me and only asks to upgrade if I skip too many songs.
    11-23-2011 04:22 PM
    so what's wrong with that? Slacker plays alot of music for me and only asks to upgrade if I skip too many songs.
    nothings wrong with Zune..the music player I used before that was an "old fashioned" cd player..lol. Wp7 is steadily getting up to par with upgrades and lifted restrictions for apps, so hopefully we'll see Pandora too.
    11-23-2011 05:05 PM
    because the HD7 speaker wasn't built for music. Only phone for that purpose is the surround. That's common sense, seriously?
    Umm... Most high end smartphones have Stereo output from the external speaker. The HD7 was an outlier there. It has nothing to do with what it was built for. That phone is just terribly designed, period (I'm factoring in the TFT LCD Screen, Poor Speakers/Sound, Cheap hard to press Buttons, flimsy back, small battery, dubious signal reception quality, and poor call quality compared to Samsung's WP7 smartphones to come to that conclusion).

No, it's not common sense to expect a $500 phone that Ballmer said is supposed to double up as a Zune HD to have worse sound output then a $100 Feature Phone.

However, I'll make sure to ask if the next phone I want is "built for music" before I buy it...
    11-23-2011 05:09 PM
    Why would I need Pandora when I have Zune Pass?
    11-23-2011 05:20 PM
    11-23-2011 06:35 PM
    Umm... Most high end smartphones have Stereo output from the external speaker. The HD7 was an outlier there. It has nothing to do with what it was built for. That phone is just terribly designed, period (I'm factoring in the TFT LCD Screen, Poor Speakers/Sound, Cheap hard to press Buttons, flimsy back, small battery, dubious signal reception quality, and poor call quality compared to Samsung's WP7 smartphones to come to that conclusion).

No, it's not common sense to expect a $500 phone that Ballmer said is supposed to double up as a Zune HD to have worse sound output then a $100 Feature Phone.

However, I'll make sure to ask if the next phone I want is "built for music" before I buy it...
    all of the smartphones I've had all had mono external speakers. My battery life is fine, sure I do get occasional drops to EDGE but that happened to me on sprint as well with my arrive. Worse sound quality than a feature phone? Are u sure ur hearing isn't going bad?
    11-23-2011 09:30 PM
    all of the smartphones I've had all had mono external speakers. My battery life is fine, sure I do get occasional drops to EDGE but that happened to me on sprint as well with my arrive. Worse sound quality than a feature phone? Are u sure ur hearing isn't going bad?
    1. How many smartphones have you had? I mean, I have 3 sitting in front of me. In the past year I have had 6 different smartphones. The Vibrant sure doesn't have Mono external speakers, as the YouTube video comparison of the HD7 and Vibrant sound I posted in another thread clearly demonstrates that it is stereo. All high end Smartphones have Stereo Sound, and have had Stereo Sound for years. There is a marked difference in quality that cannot be missed going from Stereo to Mono. The bad external speaker was immediately evident to both me and pretty much everyone who reviewed the phone.

Maybe you think I'm talking about that fake Surround Sound junk they put in phones like the Surround (which IIRC has a Stero external speaker). I really don't know what you're trying to prove by providing false information...

Consumers pretty much expect all high end smartphones to double up as Portable Media Players these days, and OEMs have to provide that sort of experience to compete with Apple. That's why Samsung packs more CODECs than you can shake a stick at in their Android phones (which are basically Galaxy Players with a cell radio in them).

2. Battery Life is bad. Standby time is incredible (on par with a Blackberry). In use time is deplorable. That's a combination of small battery size and software. Many people noticed their battery life went down noticeably with Mango, as well...

However, I can get ~30 hours of moderate use on my Vibrant. Not on the HD7. And I do that on the Vibrant with a Stock ROM, GPS, WiFi, and Auto Brightness turned on with everything being pushed to my phone. I cannot do half that on the HD7. I use all my devices moderately to heavily.

The other day 41% Power on the Vibrant after 19 Hours 31 Minutes off the charger. This morning, 33% Power after 1 Day 4 hours off the charger. Considering how much I use my phone and how much of the average day I'm actually awake (typically 19-20 hours a day I'm awake), I'm pretty sure an HD7 isn't going to match that because mine can't (and I've tried a new battery) and there isn't enough customization in the OS to try to get it to the point where it can - even at the trivial level - outside of crippling your device with Battery Saver...

3. The GPS is stellar... The Cell Reception is dubious and the call quality is not good. The earpiece on the HD7 is rather low volume compared to my other phones. It's pretty much the same story as with the HD2. I use two smartphones day in and day out, so I get to see the contrast between the call quality and earpiece volume on a daily basis. Sprint and T-Mobile both have pretty bad coverage. I'm not talking about dropping to edge in areas where you have dubious coverage. I'm talking about this phone getting worse reception than another 3G device on the same network sitting 6 inches away from it, and noticeably worse call quality.

4. No, My hearing isn't going bad. You're just mad. If my hearing was bad, I probably would not have noticed the very noticeable difference.

This is all Off-Topic. PM me if you want to discuss it further.
    Last edited by N8ter; 11-23-2011 at 10:27 PM.
    11-23-2011 10:19 PM
    1. How many smartphones have you had? I mean, I have 3 sitting in front of me. In the past year I have had 6 different smartphones. The Vibrant sure doesn't have Mono external speakers, as the YouTube video comparison of the HD7 and Vibrant sound I posted in another thread clearly demonstrates that it is stereo. All high end Smartphones have Stereo Sound, and have had Stereo Sound for years. There is a marked difference in quality that cannot be missed going from Stereo to Mono. The bad external speaker was immediately evident to both me and pretty much everyone who reviewed the phone.

Maybe you think I'm talking about that fake Surround Sound junk they put in phones like the Surround (which IIRC has a Stero external speaker). I really don't know what you're trying to prove by providing false information...

Consumers pretty much expect all high end smartphones to double up as Portable Media Players these days, and OEMs have to provide that sort of experience to compete with Apple. That's why Samsung packs more CODECs than you can shake a stick at in their Android phones (which are basically Galaxy Players with a cell radio in them).

2. Battery Life is bad. Standby time is incredible (on par with a Blackberry). In use time is deplorable. That's a combination of small battery size and software. Many people noticed their battery life went down noticeably with Mango, as well...

However, I can get ~30 hours of moderate use on my Vibrant. Not on the HD7. And I do that on the Vibrant with a Stock ROM, GPS, WiFi, and Auto Brightness turned on with everything being pushed to my phone. I cannot do half that on the HD7. I use all my devices moderately to heavily.

The other day 41% Power on the Vibrant after 19 Hours 31 Minutes off the charger. This morning, 33% Power after 1 Day 4 hours off the charger. Considering how much I use my phone and how much of the average day I'm actually awake (typically 19-20 hours a day I'm awake), I'm pretty sure an HD7 isn't going to match that because mine can't (and I've tried a new battery) and there isn't enough customization in the OS to try to get it to the point where it can - even at the trivial level - outside of crippling your device with Battery Saver...

3. The GPS is stellar... The Cell Reception is dubious and the call quality is not good. The earpiece on the HD7 is rather low volume compared to my other phones. It's pretty much the same story as with the HD2. I use two smartphones day in and day out, so I get to see the contrast between the call quality and earpiece volume on a daily basis. Sprint and T-Mobile both have pretty bad coverage. I'm not talking about dropping to edge in areas where you have dubious coverage. I'm talking about this phone getting worse reception than another 3G device on the same network sitting 6 inches away from it, and noticeably worse call quality.

4. No, My hearing isn't going bad. You're just mad. If my hearing was bad, I probably would not have noticed the very noticeable difference.

This is all Off-Topic. PM me if you want to discuss it further.
    false information? I've had 3 smartphones and they have all had mono sound. The HTC touch pro,touch pro2 and HTC arrive,they ALL had mono sound as does the evo as well. I did notice that u got banned from XDA, jaja nice.
    11-23-2011 11:32 PM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD