Navigation Software

rezzet

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
Hi Guys,

So I have HTC Titan on AT&T. Being used to Sprint, I had navigation software provided free before. But now, since AT&T insists on charging $10/mo for their nav. software, (which is identical telenav app to Sprint's), I'm looking elsewhere.

So, in the marketplace I seem to bump into 3 choice that seem very appealing especially since they provide off-line maps. Navigon (off-line maps)-$50, Navigation US+Canada(off-line maps) - $34, and Garmin(req data to download intial map route) - $30. Have you had any experience with those apps to recommend which would be the best choice overall for a US resident?

Any feedback is welcome.

Thanks!

fisci

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
I have Garmin and its really good. Apparently there is a 5 dollar app called turn by turn that is supposed to be quite good as well

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Turn by Turn is good I have it but it's not 3D maps. Garmin is better I would call it one of my most used apps. It has much more than just navigation if you travel alot is a good travel planer and local search device. It also has a nice flight tracking feature I use alot.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Turn by Turn is good I have it but it's not 3D maps. Garmin is better I would call it one of my most used apps. It has much more than just navigation if you travel alot is a good travel planer and local search device. It also has a nice flight tracking feature I use alot.
Does the Garmin app include lifetime map updates? Also, do you get to keep the app when you upgrade to a new phone? At $30, it's cheaper than buying a Garmin GPS itself but those two questions are holding me back.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I would assume that once you buy any app its yours. Thats how it was on iOS. I assume if you uninstall an app, you can just add it back at any time. Have not tried it though.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes you can power5. Once you buy and app it's linked to your Live ID, so simply clicking on buy again, informs you that you have already purchased the app, and would you like to download it again. :)

braindoc

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I have Navigon and I love it, it is much better than my stand alone Garmin GPS unit. While it does take up a lot of memory on the phone the fact that it works without a data connection more than makes up for this, plus the maps just load much faster. The Navigon software has lane indication, which means when you approach certain off ramps/highway exchanges, etc... the software will show you in 3D which lane you need to be in along with the appropriate signage. It uses real time traffic data so will update your route on the go depending on what traffic is like. On a recent trip it probably changed my route out of downtown DC during rush hour 12 times in order to keep me moving (well, relatively moving). It also always shows you the current speed limit on the stretch of road your on, which is useful if you travel a lot of unfamiliar back roads and it will warn you of intersections and speed areas that use traffic cameras.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Agreed about Navigon. I used it last night to go from Maryland to Fairfax, VA and the traffic feature routed me around the usual rush hour traffic on I-66 and got me out in front of it. It was timely with its voice prompts and reading of street names was clear. Only thing I would like it to do is tell you when you miss a turn and its recalculating, but it adjusts automatically and gives you new directions. Only thing I need is a good mount for my DVP and my nav needs would be met perfectly.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I had Navigon on my Andy it was nice I may get it again later just not sure I want to keep the maps on my phone. As for Garmin the maps are ota there is no fee for this service so it's a one time payment then all map updates are free.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I had Navigon on my Andy it was nice I may get it again later just not sure I want to keep the maps on my phone. As for Garmin the maps are ota there is no fee for this service so it's a one time payment then all map updates are free.
Thanks, Big D5. I might get the Garmin.

laforr77

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone with the Garmin software know how voice instructions are handled when music is playing? Does it pause the music/lower the volume or simply try and speak over the music? The latter never works (music always overpowers voice) and is a bit of a deal breaker when it comes to me choosing navigation software.

laforr77

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I use Bing maps on my S. Free turn by turn and came with the phone

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express
I've been using Bing since I got my original Focus but the experience has been far from ideal, not to mention it got me lost last night. Just trying to find some better solutions, if they exist.

neftv

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Can anyone tell me which if any of the navigational software integrates with the Contact list on the phone I mean the people section on the phone? I like to see an option in for a contact to get directions.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Originally I was trying to decide between Navigon USA, Garmin, or Turn-By-Turn. Unfortunately for TBT I can't find anything that suggests it supports 3D maps. Garmin seems like a safe choice because I'm more familiar with the brand, but Navigon seems much more feature rich and useful (oh and it's on sale). I would like a nice GPS app and I think Navigon might be the way to go. Sadly, I think the maps in Navigon are ugly but I don't see any alternative.

deezus

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I use the GPS tuner Nav and its ok but i dont use the voice part and when you get to the destination it just shows a flag and doesnt list the address on the screen like google nav did. Can anyone tell me if Garmin or Navigon actually show the address onscreen in text when you get there?

Thanks...

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I use the GPS tuner Nav and its ok but i dont use the voice part and when you get to the destination it just shows a flag and doesnt list the address on the screen like google nav did. Can anyone tell me if Garmin or Navigon actually show the address onscreen in text when you get there?

Thanks...

Garmin does not sure about Navegon. I will check and let you know for sure as a mapping GPS I would take Navegon over Garmin it has better maps. That said Garmin is a better all around travel tool. Both have there strengths I'm glad I have both.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234