Record phone calls and back up sms

travelerdawg

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Are there any application in the Windows Marketplace that would allow me to record my phone conversations and back up my text messages. I am moving from an Android phone to the HTC Radar but if I do not have these two options with the windows phone I will be returning it. I was really looking forward to trying out the new operating system until I couldn't find any information on a recording app and a back up app!

Thank you for you help.

bitslave

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Are there any application in the Windows Marketplace that would allow me to record my phone conversations and back up my text messages. I am moving from an Android phone to the HTC Radar but if I do not have these two options with the windows phone I will be returning it. I was really looking forward to trying out the new operating system until I couldn't find any information on a recording app and a back up app!

Thank you for you help.
Sorry, no there are no marketplace apps that will backup your txt messages, as this is an often requested feature hopefully MSFT will deliver a viable backup solution soon.

Sorry again, there are no marketplace apps that will allow you to record your phone conversations.

Unless your handset manufacturer offers this functionality (which I haven't seen) we will have to wait for MSFT to deliver the apps or open up access via the SDK's to developers so that they can deliver these and other so far unsupported apps.

Cheers.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Google talk is a great app on windows phone if you have an account with google Voice or if you can get one you can use Google Voice and Gtalk app to monitor and save your text messages and voicemails

travelerdawg

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for your quick and accurate reply's. This, unfortunately, will cause me to have to return my handset. I guess I should have asked these questions before I ordered it. I am very disappointed in Microsoft and wish that I did not need these functions, but I do. I guess I will not be trying out the new windows mango phone HTC Radar after all. :unsure:

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Why would you be upset with Microsoft? Recording conversations, if I'm not mistaking is illegal (depending on your location), so not sure you'll legally ever get that functionality.

You can however use Google Voice to get this functionality. Once again, check state and federal laws before doing this.

Recording calls - Google Voice Help

travelerdawg

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
call "no joy"

I am disappointed in Microsoft for not allowing functionality on their handsets that should be available to the devs. There are many reasons someone would like to backup their text messages and record phone calls.

I am very aware of the legal aspects of recording phone calls and it is not technically illegal. However, there are some stipulations regarding which state you live in. In Alabama, it is completely legal to record a phone conversation as long as one party is aware the conversation is being recorded. Why do you think when you call customer service the representative states, "This call may be recorded for quality assurance"? If recording a phone conversation were illegal this would not be possible.

I do not want to void the warranty on my phone the moment I get it. I do not want to have to "unlock" it. If I wanted to do that I would have stayed with android.

I do not wish to debate or argue with anyone. I just want a phone with mango that is stylish and smooth; something that just works out of the box. If there is anyone out there that knows how I can record phone calls (I do not use Google Voice) and back up my SMSs then please let me know today or tomorrow because I will be returning the Radar otherwise.

Thank you for your response duvi and I appreciate you trying to help with letting me know about the SMS backup using dev unlock on the device.

:ninja:vanish:excl:

travelerdawg

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Couple of questions (well maybe more than a couple):

1. Does using ChevronWP7 labs unlock void the warranty?

2. If I were to use ChevronWP7 to unlock my phone would that allow me to use the link that duvi gave me to backup my texts (SMS)? xda-developers - View Single Post - Extract SMS on WP7

3. Is there a homebrew app that will work with a Radar after unlock using ChevronWP7 that would allow me to record phone conversations?

4. Is there a homebrew app marketplace?

5. What does "interop" mean in reference to unlocking a windows phone?

I am not relying solely on answers to this particular post to resolve these questions. I will also attempt to answer these questions by conducting more research. However, I have found that other people have conducted much of the research already and are willing to share their hard earned knowledge. I appreciate any answers you can provide.

chaitanya91845

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Couple of questions (well maybe more than a couple):

1. Does using ChevronWP7 labs unlock void the warranty?

2. If I were to use ChevronWP7 to unlock my phone would that allow me to use the link that duvi gave me to backup my texts (SMS)? xda-developers - View Single Post - Extract SMS on WP7

3. Is there a homebrew app that will work with a Radar after unlock using ChevronWP7 that would allow me to record phone conversations?

4. Is there a homebrew app marketplace?

5. What does "interop" mean in reference to unlocking a windows phone?

I am not relying solely on answers to this particular post to resolve these questions. I will also attempt to answer these questions by conducting more research. However, I have found that other people have conducted much of the research already and are willing to share their hard earned knowledge. I appreciate any answers you can provide.

1. No. It does not void your warranty.

2. I think you might need interop unlock too. I am not too sure. That brings me to your fifth question. Interop unlock is best explained in the following post:
[GUIDE] INTEROP-UNLOCK for MANGO - No 0x81030120 (Samsung/LG/HTC) - xda-developers

3. Not yet, AFAIK.

4. Yes. The recently launched Bazaar app. But I think you need a custom ROM to run that app.

5. Already answered. However, note that interop unlock is still not possible in Gen2 devices like Radar.

travelerdawg

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
1. No. It does not void your warranty.

2. I think you might need interop unlock too. I am not too sure. That brings me to your fifth question. Interop unlock is best explained in the following post:
[GUIDE] INTEROP-UNLOCK for MANGO - No 0x81030120 (Samsung/LG/HTC) - xda-developers

3. Not yet, AFAIK.

4. Yes. The recently launched Bazaar app. But I think you need a custom ROM to run that app.

5. Already answered. However, note that interop unlock is still not possible in Gen2 devices like Radar.
Thank you very much for your detailed answers. I really would like to join the WP community with a new phone but unfortunatly it just isn't in the cards right now. I appreciate your helpfulness and wish you all the best of luck with your WP's. I will be heading back over to adroidcentral and probably stay there for another two years until it is time for another upgrade.

Thanks

chaitanya91845

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Thank you very much for your detailed answers. I really would like to join the WP community with a new phone but unfortunatly it just isn't in the cards right now. I appreciate your helpfulness and wish you all the best of luck with your WP's. I will be heading back over to adroidcentral and probably stay there for another two years until it is time for another upgrade.

Thanks

You are welcome. Probably, your needs won't be met by Windows Phone atm. Android then. All the best and consider Windows Phone once Apollo is released ;)

gibbyhome

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I really need an SMS Backup Program. for legal reasons. and I don't understand why microsoft is not making that part of windowsphone.com like they had at myphone.com with windows mobile .. It can't be that hard .

Narr

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I really need an SMS Backup Program. for legal reasons. and I don't understand why microsoft is not making that part of windowsphone.com like they had at myphone.com with windows mobile .. It can't be that hard .

Very true, I really miss this functionality when I swap phones or the occasion I've reset it; this whole piece was in Windows Mobile so I'd like it back too.

SolunaKitty

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Google talk is a great app on windows phone if you have an account with google Voice or if you can get one you can use Google Voice and Gtalk app to monitor and save your text messages and voicemails

I don't have a texting plan, so my texts go to Google Voice, and I just set up my voicemail so that it goes to GV. Now, the GoVoice app will be much more useful to me :D

travelerdawg

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Still hoping that soon somebody will post on here, "Hey man, I found these great apps that record your phone conversation and save all your SMS! More good news, you don't even have to root your phone!" But, alas, here I am checking back again and still there is no reply quite like that one :-(

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
Still hoping that soon somebody will post on here, "Hey man, I found these great apps that record your phone conversation and save all your SMS! More good news, you don't even have to root your phone!" But, alas, here I am checking back again and still there is no reply quite like that one :-(
I still don't see how a Call-Recording feature would be offered since legally, you have to tell the other part BEFORE any call-recording is initialized...

And also, the rules even differ from state to state within the same country... How to administrate locking down this future for the states where it isn't legal?

travelerdawg

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I still don't see how a Call-Recording feature would be offered since legally, you have to tell the other part BEFORE any call-recording is initialized...

And also, the rules even differ from state to state within the same country... How to administrate locking down this future for the states where it isn't legal?
Let me ask this, who is responsible for the legal recourse when recording a phone conversation? Is it AT&T, TMobile, Nokia, Windows, or is it the person who is legally bound by the state law? I can answer this for you, it is the person who initiated the phone conversation with the intent to record the conversation who is legally bound. NOT the developer of the application that the person used to record the conversation, NOT the manufacturer of the phone the person used to record the conversation, NOT the developer of the operating system that ran the app that the person used to record the conversation, NOT the network on which the person used their phone to record the conversation. (If I am wrong I am sure someone will let me know) SO now, please STOP talking about legality. The question of whether or not it is legal to record a phone conversation is not in contention. This thread is about not having the option via a native application, marketplace application, or homebrew application to record a phone conversation. It would be nice if Windows would allow developers to access the phones calling feature to allow an outside app to record phone conversations. Windows should not be held responsible for what developers do with this permission nor should the developers be held responsible for how customers use their products (Unless said products themselves are illegal, in this case a phone recorder is not. Although, I am sure somebody will get on here and say that it is. So if you believe it is illegal to have in your possession a device capable of recording a phone conversation then please point out the federal and or state regulation associated with this so that I may research it)

My god, can I just get a darn application that allows me to record my own phone conversations and let me worry about whether or not I am going to jail over it! :confused:

LWILLITS123

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
update on the backup SMS.

If you have an exchange account you can set it to also save text messages.

i had this on for a bit but didn't want it to mix with my emails.

Not sure if that helps but if you have exchange it is an option. You can turn it on in your Outlook webmail options.

if you don't have exchange, you can also get an exchange 2010 account for 5.00 a month.

Microsoft Exchange Online Pricing

Just giving you an option ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786