Password security question

tampacoder

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
Well, this is more like a concern; but why should I trust marketplace apps that acts as a integration client for third-party services? For example, the MetroRadio app. Why should I provide them with my username and password for Pandora not knowing if they are capturing it somehow and using for other reasons. Or, a newsreader that integrates with Google Reader. Should I just trust them with my credentials? I Microsoft somehow reviewing these apps to make sure this stuff doesn't happen?

Sent from my Trophy using Board Express

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I have wondered this too, tampacoder. I have actually walked away from some apps (and purchasing things online, and buying things in stores) when the information they seek makes me nervous. My understanding is that Windows Phones are fairly secure. Microsoft does have the advantage of a fairly small user base at this point, so app developers go through a fairly rigid screening process. I know the actual OS is very secure. I just let my "creepy-vibe" meter guide me. But I will be very interested in other responses from smarter people than me. Great question.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
At this point, I think the Marketplace is fairly secure and I am sure some type of scanning is done, but there is always the possibility of a programmed in stealthy code to silently steal account log-ins

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
It's not banking info! My password for Pandora isn't the same as it is for Chase bank, so in all honesty, if they are "capturing" it, they'll be able to stream music all day long? ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss