Wanted to run an idea past you guys.
    So far, all my apps have either been free or paid with trial.

But I'm considering the following scenario to help out those without money/credit cards:

When the app is in trial mode you can unlock it by either purchasing it or tweeting something like "Try out [app] for #wp7 by @roguecode" and they would also need to follow me, then I would DM them an unlock code. Might also have some clause about them having to have more than 60 followers or something just to make sure they didn't create a new account.

What would you, as consumers, feel if you saw that in an app? Is it worth adding?
    Red Lemur likes this.
    01-03-2012 12:02 PM
    You can't ask me, I buy everything :P

I do like the idea though, especially for those (like you said), that don't have money/credit cards. It'll get your app out there and they get an app. Best way to advertise these days is through social networks.
    01-03-2012 01:22 PM
    It sounds like a good idea. But part of me feels like it should be just a tad harder.

Maybe 2 tweets on separate days? Or a post on Facebook? Ideally also noting why they like the app? And heck, maybe a review?
    Duvi likes this.
    01-03-2012 01:43 PM
    It sounds like a good idea. But part of me feels like it should be just a tad harder.

Maybe 2 tweets on separate days? Or a post on Facebook? Ideally also noting why they like the app? And heck, maybe a review?
    Yeah... I agree. Making it a tad bit harder is a good idea.
    01-03-2012 02:53 PM
    Maybe unlock features based on how many followers they have :P
    So in Relaxify X there are about 10 independent settings.
    For ever 50 followers you have, it could unlock 1.
    01-03-2012 03:52 PM
    I think it's a great idea - 'word of mouth' advertising is so key to an app getting noticed, and it would be great as an app developer to be able to reward users who help with that.

I'd been wondering a related thing - i.e. having the ability to give users an 'unlock code' so that I could 'gift' my apps to users who've e.g. helped with testing, feature ideas, translations etc. or who had been loyal customers. I think other app stores allow developers to do gifting of apps (not marketplace yet).

I wonder if Microsoft would object? Be interesting to know if the Marketplace certification would have any issue with being able to convert trials to purchases without them taking a payment. They wouldn't necessarily know anyway - even if you didn't include any description in the app or the marketplace text you could let people know via a forum such as wpcentral.

Be interested to hear more if you get round to implementing this.

Cheers,

Ian
    01-03-2012 04:22 PM
    I would caution against making it seem like you're rewarding people for good reviews. This is something you see on Amazon. Some hack writes an ebook and offers a free copy for the first ten people to give it five stars. So you get a horribly written book with tons of spelling/grammar errors jumping right to the top of the search results. Then you see the backlash, so be careful.
    01-03-2012 05:30 PM
    I think it's a great idea - 'word of mouth' advertising is so key to an app getting noticed, and it would be great as an app developer to be able to reward users who help with that.

I'd been wondering a related thing - i.e. having the ability to give users an 'unlock code' so that I could 'gift' my apps to users who've e.g. helped with testing, feature ideas, translations etc. or who had been loyal customers. I think other app stores allow developers to do gifting of apps (not marketplace yet).

I wonder if Microsoft would object? Be interesting to know if the Marketplace certification would have any issue with being able to convert trials to purchases without them taking a payment. They wouldn't necessarily know anyway - even if you didn't include any description in the app or the marketplace text you could let people know via a forum such as wpcentral.

Be interested to hear more if you get round to implementing this.

Cheers,

Ian
    I actually don't think this is against MS's rules at all. You're basically just unlocking features for free - thats nothing to do with them, and noone is making any money circumventing their system. I do however think you could get into trouble for selling unlock codes with a 3rd party (like paypal) and giving those out, but once again I don't actually know how this goes against any of their rules.

I would caution against making it seem like you're rewarding people for good reviews. This is something you see on Amazon. Some hack writes an ebook and offers a free copy for the first ten people to give it five stars. So you get a horribly written book with tons of spelling/grammar errors jumping right to the top of the search results. Then you see the backlash, so be careful.
    Yeah, that's why in the OP the tweet was pretty unbiased, and just said to try the app.
    I will keep this in mind. Could maybe give them a few choices.
    01-03-2012 05:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD