I Can't Stand The Marketplace!!

SEKKDS

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
I don't know if somebody else has already said the same as me, but here is my own two cents in a thread of my own.

Is it only me, or does anybody else totally hate all the useless apps that are in the Marketplace? And furthermore multiplying by the day!!

Basically, I am referring to any and all rss newsreaders (i.e. search "CNN" in the Marketplace, and see results), as opposed to the real deal, (search USA Today). This also includes sports team newsreaders, auto manufacturers, retail companies, magazines, etc. etc..... They just pull from the blog, or rss of a website, am I wrong?? I just don't see any real value in putting these "unofficial" apps in the Marketplace.

If I want an app revolved around a particular company and/or website, I am always in search of the OFFICIAL thing. I just do not care whatsoever with this swamp of a Marketplace, loaded with useless stuff.

50,000 apps, of which probably 1/50 of them are genuinely, good apps. Pathetic.

It is simply a quality not quantity thing with me.

If anybody wishes to disagree and set me straight, please do.

Until then.......

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
It's no worse than the Android or Apple marketplace, full of little gems and official apps, and like you mention loads of trash too.

There are some little gems too like BBC News Mobile etc it's unofficial but a great news app

Some really good RSS apps too. i Love looking through the marketplace trying everything out.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
LOL, I've stated this before. One good app for every 1500 crappy app. It's pretty useless. There's an app called AppFlow that can help you avoid the marketplace.
I don't know if somebody else has already said the same as me, but here is my own two cents in a thread of my own.

Is it only me, or does anybody else totally hate all the useless apps that are in the Marketplace? And furthermore multiplying by the day!!

Basically, I am referring to any and all rss newsreaders (i.e. search "CNN" in the Marketplace, and see results), as opposed to the real deal, (search USA Today). This also includes sports team newsreaders, auto manufacturers, retail companies, magazines, etc. etc..... They just pull from the blog, or rss of a website, am I wrong?? I just don't see any real value in putting these "unofficial" apps in the Marketplace.

If I want an app revolved around a particular company and/or website, I am always in search of the OFFICIAL thing. I just do not care whatsoever with this swamp of a Marketplace, loaded with useless stuff.

50,000 apps, of which probably 1/50 of them are genuinely, good apps. Pathetic.

It is simply a quality not quantity thing with me.

If anybody wishes to disagree and set me straight, please do.

Until then.......

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
To me, the more the better. It shows enthusiasm for creating for WP. Even if not everything out there is the best of quality.

So, it's not the number of apps in the Marketplace that bugs me. But there really needs to be a better way to search by deeper categories, and then tags within those categories. I believe that the only reason the number of apps bothers people is because you're pretty much forced to scroll through them because the search ability isn't up to snuff.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
AppFlow is the only one I've used. But I really don't use it much. If a app isn't featured on WPC, WMPU, Engadget, BGR, Giz,... I don't really know about it. I hate the marketplace that much. I never go there.
Yeah they are great apps 1jaxstate1, love appflow & Best WP7Apps. :)

WP7Applist and AppTastic are another 2 I use. :)

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't really care for the layout of the marketplace either. I don't think the amount of junk apps are any worse than android though.

Sent from my Windows 7 Phone using Board Express

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
What's the point on bringing Android/iOS into this. The marketplace is crappy, who cares what the others are. Makes one think that as long as it's like the other's, it's OK. Why not strive to be better.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
What's the point on bringing Android/iOS into this. The marketplace is crappy, who cares what the others are. Makes one think that as long as it's like the other's, it's OK. Why not strive to be better.

Good point. I hope Microsoft tries to improve the marketplace and make it a better experience.

Sent from my Windows 7 Phone using Board Express

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I really don't want someone from Microsoft going into the Marketplace and picking and choosing which apps they think are "good enough" to be in it. And discarding the others.

I'd rather have a bunch of sucky apps mixed in there than have it be limited in that sense.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
if u dont like useless apps .. get a normal phone with out a apps store.. cause all OS have useless apps.

look at Iphone apps. they have what 1million apps now??? and 95% of them are useless.

some report said that only 5% of ALL apps are used or even downloaded on Iphone ... that doesn't say much for a marketplace with over 1milluion thats over 950,000 useless apps. ROLF

get use to it. :(

Red Lemur

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I agree android and IOS have the same problems with their app store, but I think it's not helped that Microsoft keeps giving incentives to developers based on how many apps they release to marketplace.

They have a scheme at the moment where developers earn points for each separate app release (which can be exchanged for things). There's been mention in these forums of other schemes where if x apps are released the developer gets a free wp7 phone. Like mentioned above it just encourages quantity not quality. I wish instead (or at least additionally) there were obvious incentives for updating apps (e.g. adding specific mango features) or competitions for the best quality of design.

As a developer it has made me question if I'm doing the right thing updating my apps. E.g. I'm up to the 12th version of one of my apps, but I could have instead used that same amount of time to create 12 separate (lesser quality) apps - if I'd done that I would have possibly won free app marketing campaigns from Microsoft, toy helicopters, magazine subscriptions, an Xbox, a video camera, etc. as you can see from the link below
Windows Phone Incentive :: Terms and Conditions

As 'Winning Guy' said; better searching would be great - something like the Amazon side bar where you say '4* and above' 'apps with live tiles' 'updated recently' 'version number greater than' 'more than _ ratings', 'price between'... Bing on the web used to have something that let you do this but it's looking like it no longer does (the old link no longer works).

In the Windows Mobile marketplace there used to be a real incentive to update frequently - it got you back into the 'what's new' list where as a developer you would see a jump in downloads. WP7 marketplace could do with a similar 'recently updated' list.

Last edited:

SEKKDS

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
To me, the more the better. It shows enthusiasm for creating for WP. Even if not everything out there is the best of quality.

So, it's not the number of apps in the Marketplace that bugs me. But there really needs to be a better way to search by deeper categories, and then tags within those categories. I believe that the only reason the number of apps bothers people is because you're pretty much forced to scroll through them because the search ability isn't up to snuff.
You make a good point, nailed part of my problem with the Marketplace right on the head. Scrolling downward (to a bottomless pit of nothing) on the phone through the Marketplace is misersable, and is part of the aggravation of searching. So I guess it is the method of searching that needs to be reformed there. Then, there is the web/internet way, but you'll just go through pages upon pages of uselessness there too.

I wish on the internet, the Marketplace had checkbox filters (free, paid, categories) on the left side. Such as, maybe I want to see ALL new apps, but filter out ALL games. That might relieve some of the pain of searching.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I much rather scroll endlessly than have limits to top 25 or 50, like I have seen in other App stores. Maybe a filtering option would be better.

SEKKDS

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
I really don't want someone from Microsoft going into the Marketplace and picking and choosing which apps they think are "good enough" to be in it. And discarding the others.

I'd rather have a bunch of sucky apps mixed in there than have it be limited in that sense.
OK, that sounds fair, to not let Microsft pick which apps are " deemed worthy". I'll agree there. I wonder/wish though if some moderator of the Marketplace drops off apps that are in the bottom whatever percentile of being downloaded. Like how many people are downloading the umpteenth CNN app out there. If nobody, it gets cut.

Or......

Part of me says I wish the Marketplace would not allow apps to be submitted by developers who are not affiliated in any way with what they are making in the first place. By saying that, yeah we would be taking out the well done BBC app from Lawrence Gripper... but taking out one great one to eliminate one hundred crappy ones (ALL of which are unofficial anyway), I think I could live with that.

Then again, I know... I am not that developer getting that boot I so describe.

Then again... again... :p if I were a developer, I would not be making and submitting such junk I speak of in the first place.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
SEKKDS, while I understand your frustration, it isn't that bad. Keep in mind, there are quite a few that don't have official apps. So searching for "CNN", you will definitely find non-official apps. I know if I search for something on Android that has an official app, the official apps isn't even listed as one of the first apps, which IMO, for Google (the search engine behemoth), it should be a lot better than it is now.

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Like other people have said, this problem exists on other platforms also. Microsoft can "strive to be better", but when every review says that "there aren't as many apps in the marketplace" I would rather them increase the apps first. Since the sheeple are only concerned with specs and how many apps are in the store.

vzwp7

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
What is extremely frustrating in the new apps list, is the amount of crap put out by the same freaking developer.

Every day, 15 new apps all by the same guy. And every app he published is only a slight variation of each other.

MS only cares about quantity, so they can announce that they are catching up with the big boys. Personally, MS should be filtering out this unless garage.

Also, stop showing me all these damn foreign apps. Why do I need to see listings for Chinese only language apps??!!

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss