Text from a PC

bbennett40

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Back before I had a smartphone, I used SonyErricson phones. The PC interface application they used allowed me to type and send texts from my USB connected phone. When I upgraded to an Android phone, I found SMS2PC and AndroidPC (there may be others) to do the same thing, but this time I was able to connect via my wifi network. Now, I have joined the Windows Phone ranks. I am completely enjoying the platform, but have yet to find an alternative for texting from my pc. Does anyone know of anything? Also, I'd rather not use cloud based services as I don't want my texts floating around. Thanks for any input!!

Red Lemur

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Back before I had a smartphone, I used SonyErricson phones. The PC interface application they used allowed me to type and send texts from my USB connected phone. When I upgraded to an Android phone, I found SMS2PC and AndroidPC (there may be others) to do the same thing, but this time I was able to connect via my wifi network. Now, I have joined the Windows Phone ranks. I am completely enjoying the platform, but have yet to find an alternative for texting from my pc. Does anyone know of anything? Also, I'd rather not use cloud based services as I don't want my texts floating around. Thanks for any input!!

I've been wanting this too. I nearly wrote myself one to do it this afternoon! I've not found a good answer to this yet. There is an app called Send to WP7 - sms is not its primary purpose but it has a windows program you can download from their web site that sort of does pc to phone sms (but only in a very basic way).

I'll mail you if I write one (or find one).

steveymacjr

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Most of the major USA carriers have a system in place to text from your PC to a mobile device.

All of them use a service called ZipWhip where by you can send a text message from a website to a mobile device.
The addresses for the respective carriers are below, go to the one for YOUR carrier:
AT&T Zipwhip
Sprint Zipwhip (you have another option on Sprint, see below)
T-Mobile Zipwhip
Verizon Zipwhip

Basically what happens is this:
When you enter the phone number of the person you wish to text to, and the message, zipwhip routes the text and sends it to that number. Now, the person that receives it will get the message from a short text code, but it'll say from "your number."
Tell the person you texted to Always use that number to text you, and when they do, it'll first to to the website, and then to your phone.

Sprint users have a much more seamless option. If you go to Google Voice and sign up(Free) to have your Google Voice account integrated with your Sprint account, then you do not need to do the zipwhip service. The google voice website becomes the site you use, and because it is integrated, the number the receiver shows is your actual Sprint number. Remember when you sign up, don't port your Sprint number to Google Voice, choose the integration option.

bbennett40

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, Steve, that's not what I'm looking for. The applications to which I refered connect directly to the device, contact list and all, and is not routed through the cloud. I did try something from AT&T on my android like what you referenc, but it's slow, clunky, and nothing like the other options. The SMS messages are still sent and received on the device, just routed to the pc temporarily (while the app is open). If you texted me, a text pops up on my phone and my pc at the same time. I type my reponse in the text box and it's sent back through the device. If I wanted to send you a message, I select you from the contact list, type, and send. Much quicker and cleaner than the web service. Not to mention, they use the contact info from the phone.

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
There is also a solution doing this with QR codes.
You just need a website or a windows 8 app where you can generate SMS QR codes.
Then just scan the QR code with my app "JSI QR Viewer" or use Bing View/Scan.

You can find more information about my app here @ wpcentral in this thread:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-apps/257194-[app]-jsi-qr-viewer-ready-scan-go.html

Allthough a clever workaround, I don't think that's what they are looking for, and doesn't seem very efficient in usage.

Could you explain a little more clear how this would work exactly though ?? I'm curious.

Anyway, MS and/or Nokia are gonna have to give us some software to do that. Something like Nokia Suite back in the day.
One central point from where we could do everything on the pc aswel, including texting.

Stepping off from that type of functionality imo has been one MASSIVE DEvolution for Nokia "smart"phones.

But I don't see this coming back anytime soon though.

exyaized

Banned
Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Allthough a clever workaround, I don't think that's what they are looking for, and doesn't seem very efficient in usage.

Could you explain a little more clear how this would work exactly though ?? I'm curious.

Anyway, MS and/or Nokia are gonna have to give us some software to do that. Something like Nokia Suite back in the day.
One central point from where we could do everything on the pc aswel, including texting.

Stepping off from that type of functionality imo has been one MASSIVE DEvolution for Nokia "smart"phones.

But I don't see this coming back anytime soon though.

Thus there is no way for a developer to access the system deep enough that an app or connected desktop programm can send SMS automatically, we have to try to come as near as possible witout using to much steps (comfort)

If we want doing this from a PC then the best way is to use a QR code generator app. (works offline, no account needed, no cable connection...)
- or -
by using a browser extension (some need online connection)
- or -
by using a website (online connection needed)
For example: https://www.the-qrcode-generator.com/ - or - QR Code Generator from the ZXing Project (the second one does NOT work with Bing Scan/Vision)

The SMS QR code content looks like this: SMSTO:0123456789:TextContent - or - smsto:0123456789:TextContent (you noticed the lower case? This is why Bing Scan/Vision fails)

If you scan such a QR code with Bing Scan/Vision and tap the result, than you will see the QR code content directly in the SMS compose view of your phone. You then just need to tap send.
My App (JSI QR Viewer) works nearly the same but recognizes also lower case codes, just needs one more tap (will include a automatic function in the next update).

Last edited:

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Thus there is no way for a developer to access the system deep enough that an app or connected desktop programm can send SMS automatically, we have to try to come as near as possible witout using to much steps (comfort)

If we want doing this from a PC then the best way is to use a QR code generator app. (works offline, no account needed, no cable connection...)
- or -
by using a browser extension (some need online connection)
- or -
by using a website (online connection needed)
For example: https://www.the-qrcode-generator.com/ - or - QR Code Generator from the ZXing Project (the second one does NOT work with Bing Scan/Vision)

The SMS QR code content looks like this: SMSTO:0123456789:TextContent - or - smsto:0123456789:TextContent (you noticed the lower case? This is why Bing Scan/Vision fails)

If you scan such a QR code with Bing Scan/Vision and tap the result, than you will see the QR code content directly in the SMS compose view of your phone. You then just need to tap send.
My App (JSI QR Viewer) works nearly the same but recognizes also lower case codes, just needs one more tap (will include a automatic function in the next update).

Tried this with your JSI app, but I still don't get it.
I enter the text in that website you gave to create a QRcode.

Then what ? Save it and scan it with JSI ? Then I'm receiving my own text.
How do you actually "send" it to another person ? Share it ? Then that's not private at all...

So how to actually send such a QR to another cellphone then ? I don't think you can.

EDIT: Didn't see the different options to the left on that website, so my mistake there.

I tried the SMS tab, and then scanned the code with jsi...then another press and it indeed shows up on the phone ready to send via sms...

So you are right. It does work that way. But still, we are now needing to use both pc and phone, so as I suspected, not as efficient in usage as desired....

Dono N

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Well, I have been researching this very dilemma. And while I am not finding any apps or completed anything I have stumbled on a possible solution if we can get a developer to help out. I found an app to install on the computer that allows your phone screen to be projected to a window on your pc, now all we need is an app to enable you to type and send (mouse support would be slick too) from your pc keyboard and voila!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Some clever and complex workarounds on this thread but the easiest solution would be for WP8 to have the Bluetooth MAP profile. Windows PCs have the SMS Editor built right in and after pairing the device, double-click your phone's icon in Devices and Printers, scroll to the bottom and open the SMS program. All BlackBerries from OS5 and up, all webOS and most Motorola Androids have this profile. This is what allowed HP TouchPad users to send & receive SMS and phone calls from their tablet.

I've always wanted to have this functionality but it seems Bluetooth is a four-letter word these days. At least we got BT PAN internet sharing with DP update 1.

ArthurB

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
It looks like there's been not much progress on this feature in the two years since this thread seems to be created to the time of the last recent reply.
I found an app called 'mysms' in the Windows store on the PC, but it's asking to install on the phone as well, and I can't find it in the phone version of the store...
If you come up with any useable apps for this, please let us know.
Thanks.

Charlie Brown10

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I had high hopes for my Windows 1020 phone, I wanted outlook integreation
but was hoping to text from my laptop for work. Windows phone is the only one that cant do this.
I think I will seriously take a look at the blackberry classic upcoming, as they have maybe the best integration of texting and your computer screen
a mirror of you phone and also all your social media and email in one spot!!
Come on Nokia and Windows make this happen, also I am not sold on the Windows phone Calendar.. Camera is great.

Leonel Funes

Windows 10 & Xbox Champion
Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Screenshot (29).png

The only way I can think of to send text from a pc is to use Project My Screen and use your phone from there. It's a bit tedious to type if you don't have a touchscreen pc [it won't register physical keyboard clicks] but it gets the job done. And it looks cool that your phone randomly turns on and does everything without touching it!!

bbennett40

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
My partner is an Apple user and has this with one of their latest updates. Text (or call for that matter) comes in on his phone and he can answer on his iPad or MacBook. I've been waiting to hear some hint of this for W10, but nothing but hope thus far.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
My partner is an Apple user and has this with one of their latest updates. Text (or call for that matter) comes in on his phone and he can answer on his iPad or MacBook. I've been waiting to hear some hint of this for W10, but nothing but hope thus far.

I'd honestly love this feature.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos