MetroRadio vs. Radio Controlled

MichaelBanning

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
I understand, especially if the rate of updates for these two apps keeps up, that any opinion on this becomes outdated within a week of it being given, but I have both apps now and haven't used either yet. I obviously will try both and make up my own mind, but nevertheless I wanted to see what people's opinions on the matter were (until one of them is updated again!).

wenogg

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Radio Controlled 2.1 update approved

Radio Controlled 2.1 just got approved, which fixes a ton of issues. A major issue was the app wasn't optimized to minimize skips and Pandora recently enforced this rule on the API, making the app unable to load songs frequently. This update fixes these issues greatly improves the stability.

Please give the update a chance before bashing it for the 'can not load songs' issue. Pandora has updated their service numerous times and I try and get fixes out as soon as possible. When the API changes the app may break.

TheRewardisCheese

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I think both apps are down today as I am getting the Cannot Load Songs message on Radio Controlled and on Metro Radio the songs never load and start playing. This happened the last time Pandora changed their APIs

wenogg

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I think both apps are down today as I am getting the Cannot Load Songs message on Radio Controlled and on Metro Radio the songs never load and start playing. This happened the last time Pandora changed their APIs
Can you email me from inside the app (Radio Controlled)? I've seen some skip limit bug reports and I added measures to prevent it, but in some cases it is still happening. I want to figure out how it is happening.

Side note, if you use Metro Radio first and get locked out Radio Controlled will also be locked out. The same is true in reverse. A skip lockout is based on your login and not the app you use.

wenogg

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Both worked for me this morning.

Scott
Skip limits reset every morning so if you get locked out both apps will start working the next day. But as soon as you skip* too many songs both apps will be locked.

A skip is not necessarily you pressing the skip button. Pandora calculates a skip on their end. If they think the app has requested too many songs in too short a time you will get locked out. I've tried to be very conservative with requesting songs in the latest update to minimize this.

MustafaTaleb

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Skip limits reset every morning so if you get locked out both apps will start working the next day. But as soon as you skip* too many songs both apps will be locked.

A skip is not necessarily you pressing the skip button. Pandora calculates a skip on their end. If they think the app has requested too many songs in too short a time you will get locked out. I've tried to be very conservative with requesting songs in the latest update to minimize this.

This problem is really annoying me. I've been trying to fix the API for it to be able to pull the songs just like it used to, nothing is working so far. Looks like Imma have to monitor the iOS Pandora app and/or the Android version to see how are the songs being requested.

I'll keep you guys updated. Oh and by the way, It seems that they don't calculate skip limit over the weekends, It's something I noticed. Might not be correct though.

wenogg

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Quick question about theses apps:

Will they work with my Pandora One account?
Yes, and premium accounts are less likely to be affected by the skip limit rule than free accounts. Is there a particular feature of the Pandora One account you are looking for?

caliborn

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
I signed up for the account just to get rid of commercials and the skip limit so as long as it works I'll try one of them this weekend.

Thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans