Hey folks, I recently tried a GPS app and discovered it wouldn't work w/o a cell connection. Most the time I use a GPS app is when I DON'T have cell coverage, i.e. in the back woods. I contacted the author and he said it HAD to connect to the Inet in order to make it through the Marketplace. Is this for real???
    It is a very nice app otherwise and I would like to use it, but if I can't use it when there's no cell coverage, it is of no use.
    03-21-2012 05:58 PM
    The only way a cell phone's GPS can work without a data connection is if it was also a satellite phone. This tech is exceedingly expensive. The only exception is Nokia's Drive app. The new version allows offline navigation, provided you download the appropriate map ahead of time. But it's only available for Nokia devices.
    03-21-2012 07:15 PM
    The only way a cell phone's GPS can work without a data connection is if it was also a satellite phone.
    Umm.. You are mistaken. A cell phone CAN receive GPS signals w/o a data connection. Plain and simple. It's how the app is written to then utilize that data stream. My question is if Windows Phone apps MUST have a connection to the Inet to work.

Look at many GPS apps and disable the cell network and they will still work. Even my 4 year old Blackberry (which still runs) that does not have a cell plan can receive GPS signals, log the track via an app and then save it for future reference.
    03-21-2012 07:34 PM
    You would need offline maps. Unless that app is huge and is providing maps, it needs to hit the network to download images from Bing Maps.
    03-21-2012 10:02 PM
    You would need offline maps. Unless that app is huge and is providing maps, it needs to hit the network to download images from Bing Maps.
    Maps? We don't need no steenkin maps! ;-)

Seriously, I don't NEED maps. All I need are coordinates; lat/long, UTM, whatever. The app I was trying doesn't provide maps. Just coordinates and a track. So it shouldn't have any reason to connect to the Inet just to run.
    03-21-2012 10:48 PM
    Navigon works just fine without data.

Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express
    03-21-2012 10:48 PM
    Does it have ads? Haha

I think straight GPS should work without a data plan
    03-22-2012 08:09 AM
    The only way a cell phone's GPS can work without a data connection is if it was also a satellite phone.
    03-22-2012 08:14 PM
    Click to view quoted image
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but yes it can. It doesn't need to be a sat phone.

The issue here is whether Windows Phone apps have to connect to the Inet to get through the Marketplace.
    03-22-2012 10:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD