SMS app?

azedi

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone!
I'm planning to get the nokia 900 and I would like to get the 3gb data plan with it.
Is there any apps that can be used to send/receive sms using my data? I wouldn't want to pay an extra $20 for unlimited messaging since I don't really text much.

A good app I know is whatsapp. I'm wondering if there are any other options?

rbrunner

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
What do your contacts use?

As far as I know most of those apps do not really send SMS that any phone in the world can receive, but they work only with themselves: A user of WhatsApp can send messages to another user of WhatsApp, but not to users of others such apps.

So I think it's a very important question what your contacts use: It's no good if you found the perfect app for you but you can't message anybody...

SolunaKitty

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
You can use GoVoice (Google Voice app) to send/receive texts, but you will have to give another number to the people you text. Some people use solely their Google Voice number, and I don't see a reason for myself not to, but for some reason, I have not done so yet. No MMS though.

mtmjr90

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
I swear by Google Voice. I use it across multiple devices and pay very little for plans. I cannot recommend it highly enough!

Personally, I use GV for Google Voice but I've heard good things about GoVoice. As for MMS, I'm sure it's coming, but in the meantime you'll have to find an alternative pic sending app/service (small price to pay for saving $20/month).

Sent from my HTC Radar using Board Express

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
If you don't text much then pay $10 for the 1000 text plan. Or is 1000 not much? I am middle age so may not clearly understand the meaning. I am at about 400 texts per month the on the 1000 texts plan, so have a long way to go.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

azedi

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
If you don't text much then pay $10 for the 1000 text plan. Or is 1000 not much? I am middle age so may not clearly understand the meaning. I am at about 400 texts per month the on the 1000 texts plan, so have a long way to go.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Unfortunately AT&T doesn't offer the 1000 texts plan anymore. Only unlimited messaging is available. Also, I heard from many users that when someone sends a text to you when you're using Google Voice, you will be charged from your carrier since you're receiving the sms through your sms app.?!

mtmjr90

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately AT&T doesn't offer the 1000 texts plan anymore. Only unlimited messaging is available. Also, I heard from many users that when someone sends a text to you when you're using Google Voice, you will be charged from your carrier since you're receiving the sms through your sms app.?!

That's only true if you have your incoming texts forwarded as SMS (the Messages app). If you turnoff SMS forwarding via the browser site settings, you won't be charged. You'll need a GV specific app like GoVoice or GV for Windows Phone. Each app has specific instructions on how to set up notifications as well.

azedi

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
That's only true if you have your incoming texts forwarded as SMS (the Messages app). If you turnoff SMS forwarding via the browser site settings, you won't be charged. You'll need a GV specific app like GoVoice or GV for Windows Phone. Each app has specific instructions on how to set up notifications as well.

Awesome :lol: and its only $20 for the one time fee!!
Btw, do you know how much data google voice uses each month? I know it varies per person, but what about you?

mtmjr90

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Awesome :lol: and its only $20 for the one time fee!!
Btw, do you know how much data google voice uses each month? I know it varies per person, but what about you?

So little that you can essentially ignore it. Thousands of texts would at most be a few MBs, and remember, since it's all internet based, you can text on WiFi and it won't affect your data planar all:)

erine100

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
You can use Google Voice app to send/receive texts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett