10-23-2012 07:52 PM
108 12345
tools
    It is rather infuriating how long we've been waiting for this app. Given the support and desire from the app from folks on the Windows Phone Team (some of which have since left - what is going on with all that...?), I would have thought that it would have been one of the apps that Microsoft picked out of the marketplace to quickly bring to the platform. Audible as a service is universally lauded - because it is awesome - and it is a huge hole in the lineup. Honestly, it is the only app that I miss from any of the other platforms. OK...Simple Physics too... :-)
    05-22-2012 10:25 PM
    I'd been participating in the Audible beta (I think I still am), but I'm growing concerned over the lack of updates to their app. We were getting frequent builds of the app, which we could install and leave feedback on, however there hasn't been any new builds submitted to us in almost a month, and the Audible employees seem to be AWOL from our discussions on issues/feedback. I hate to assume the worst, but I have to wonder if they have found some sort of significant issue with the app, or they have opted to shelve it for a later date, for something more pressing.
    hardcoreplur and ethananim like this.
    05-23-2012 01:40 AM
    I'd been participating in the Audible beta (I think I still am), but I'm growing concerned over the lack of updates to their app. We were getting frequent builds of the app, which we could install and leave feedback on, however there hasn't been any new builds submitted to us in almost a month, and the Audible employees seem to be AWOL from our discussions on issues/feedback. I hate to assume the worst, but I have to wonder if they have found some sort of significant issue with the app, or they have opted to shelve it for a later date, for something more pressing.
    Audible --- We're still waiting!!!
    05-25-2012 09:59 AM
    Since Windows Phone doesn't have an Audible app is there any way to listen to Audible audio books on my phone? Do I need to buy an iPod or is there a cheaper work around? I was using my Android phone but it broke, which is how I ended up with Windows Phone.
    05-31-2012 01:48 PM
    ^ just download your audible books to a folder, and sync that to your phone through zune. Simply play them in the music player.
    05-31-2012 06:51 PM
    ^ just download your audible books to a folder, and sync that to your phone through zune. Simply play them in the music player.
    I've never gotten that to work... the file type isn't supported.
    05-31-2012 08:09 PM
    I think if that method worked there would not be so many people waiting on the Audible App.
    06-01-2012 06:15 AM
    I think if that method worked there would not be so many people waiting on the Audible App.
    +1. I don't really care if there is an actual app, I'd just like to be able to listen to my audiobooks on my phone.
    06-01-2012 06:22 AM
    hmm....works fine with Overdrive downloads. What file type does Audible use?
    06-01-2012 08:53 AM
    hmm....works fine with Overdrive downloads. What file type does Audible use?
    If you search for "audible mp3 converter", you will find tools that strip drm. Otherwise, Audible will burn to audio cd and then you can rip to mp3. Probably less hassle to find a supported mp3 player (IPod, Zune, etc) and use that until the WP app comes out. That's what I'm doing. I wish WP team would have worked with Audible like the Zune device team and added native support in the WP Zune app. I would settle for Zune device functionality.
    06-01-2012 09:18 AM
    If you search for "audible mp3 converter", you will find tools that strip drm. Otherwise, Audible will burn to audio cd and then you can rip to mp3. Probably less hassle to find a supported mp3 player (IPod, Zune, etc) and use that until the WP app comes out. That's what I'm doing. I wish WP team would have worked with Audible like the Zune device team and added native support in the WP Zune app. I would settle for Zune device functionality.
    I do the same thing (go throughout the day with ipod touch and Lumia 900) and I feel like a dope having both devices.
    06-01-2012 09:06 PM
    I use SoundTaxi to convert the Audible aa files to mp3's. Then use the AudioBook Reader app from the WP market to play the converted mp3's. Works great and hold's your place in the book unlike the phone's Zune player.

I actually started using SoundTaxi to convert Audible files over 2 years ago when I first switched from Blackberry to Android because at that time there was no Audible app for Android either.

I guess it's why I'm patiently waiting for Audible's Windows Phone app. I've been through this before.
    06-03-2012 02:34 PM
    I sent another email inquiry to Audible CS on Saturday morning. They haven't responded yet. Usually they respond within 24 hours (a few times within an hour).
    06-11-2012 09:42 PM
    I'd really appreciate some additional information. Audible ought to make an official statement but so far they just blow me off when I inquire.
    06-11-2012 10:23 PM
    Id take a broken app over no app at this point.
    06-13-2012 07:55 AM
    Id take a broken app over no app at this point.
    No, trust me, you wouldn't.
    06-14-2012 02:13 AM
    I can't believe it's been over 3 months and still no update. :(
    06-14-2012 12:48 PM
    No, trust me, you wouldn't.
    Trust me, I would.
    06-14-2012 12:54 PM
    Let's hope that it gets announced at the shindig next week.
    06-14-2012 10:35 PM
    I'm thoroughly confused why it is taking so long to add this app. I could understand if there was an alternative. On the iphone, you can listen to audible through the music app or the audible app. But the zune software doesn't support books at all. You have to bend over backwards to pretend they are podcasts. Don't microsoft employees listen to books? Perhaps that is part of the grand problem. Seems like this should have been one of the first apps, with facebook and youtube, that microsoft just built themselves.
    06-18-2012 12:30 PM
    I dropped my audible account until this app comes out.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    06-19-2012 09:33 AM
    I dropped my audible account until this app comes out.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    I'm giving them until the end of June (because they claimed in an email it would be released by then). If no app by then, I'm gone.
    06-19-2012 09:05 PM
    OOOOOOHHHHHH. Just got a new response to my emails (which I've been sending every other day)

Hello Brian,

Thank you for contacting Audible!

I understand you are interested in the Windows Phone app. I'll be more than glad to assist you.

I truly apologize for the long delay on the release of this app. Some technical issues have caused the release to be delayed. Audible wanted to make sure the bugs on this app were completely taken care of before it was available to our customers.

However after the long wait, I am happy to let you know this app is scheduled to be released within the next four days. I would really like to thank you for your patience on this matter, and as a token of appreciation I have issued an extra credit to your account that is now available to be used.

Please do not hesitate in contacting us if you have anymore questions for us. We are here 24/7 for you.

Have a good evening!

Sincerely,
    Rolando C.

Audible Customer Support
    Won't take long to tell if he is full of $hit or not.
    GSOgymrat and ethananim like this.
    06-19-2012 09:44 PM
    Great news just read this on digital spy:

Microsoft has entered a partnership with audio books firm Audible to bring voice navigation to its Windows Phone devices.

The Audible app, available for Windows Phone 7.5 and up, will offer a similar service to Apple's Siri.

Users can launch applications, perform searches, and carry out in-app commands with the new software, which will be released via the Windows Phone Marketplace later today (June 20).

Microsoft showcased the service during its Windows Phone Summit in San Francisco, where the next generation version of its mobile operating system, Windows Phone 8, was unveiled.

The OS will feature a raft of new features including support for multi-core processors, NFC technology, improved graphical capabilities and better gaming support.

Windows Phone 8 will be released in the autumn.
    Have been following this thread as a lurker for weeks/months to try and find out when Audible will come out, but only registered to share the good news :)
    06-20-2012 03:03 PM
    Great news just read this on digital spy:

Have been following this thread as a lurker for weeks/months to try and find out when Audible will come out, but only registered to share the good news :)
    Audible with Siri functionality??? Doesn't sound right. You would listen to an audio book and then try to speak commands over the reader?

I'm guessing this is a different "Audible" or a typo for another company.
    06-20-2012 04:43 PM
108 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD