There are Text Auto-Complete Macro type Apps ??

lumia_steve

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
The title should have been: There are *no* Auto-Complete ...

Can't tell you many profane words I've uttered every time I have to re-enter my email in either a form on a website, or in an app, or even some other common information like my street address

iOS 5 has it built-in, now, the auto-complete snippet library.

Can't believe I can't find an app on WP7 marketplace that allow me to type in a text abbreviation, and then my email pops up.

(I guess it sounds like I need a nap - or a beer)

rbrunner

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Not possible

There are no such apps because they are not possible: WP7 does not allows apps to install themselves into the system in way to implement some kind of auto-complete/shortcut mechanism on any text entry field, system-wide.

That's also the reason why there are no apps that replace and/or enhance the system on-screen keyboard, e.g. to provide support for languages/scripts that WP7 does not or not yet provide out-of-the-box.

I guess you are lucky on iOS, because if there wasn't already a snippet/shortcut feature implemented by Apple itself, it would not be possible to "retrofit" text boxes by an app with something like that either.

Best you can do is implement an app where you have shortcuts in a text box under the control of the app itself, and you have to transport the written text to wherever you need it in WP7 somehow.

That's what my own app NickWrite does, and that's why I allow myself to insert some advertising for it here: Check out NickWrite ? Das Megos .NET-Weblog

ubizmo

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
It's too bad though. Auto-text is one of the most powerful features a smartphone can have, to someone who knows how to use it. I had it on my SideKick and of course BB, and missed it on WP.

I have about 500 abbreviations for the most common English words, and I'm still adding to it, creating a personal shorthand that saves me hundreds of keystrokes when writing pretty much anything. Once you get it set up, it smokes any predictive text.

NickWriter is an admirable try but I hope they open up the OS to true auto-text.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720