What happened to YouTube Pro?

Core2uu

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
It seems like it has been removed from the marketplace. Does anybody know why?

Also, it's apparently from the same people that made SuperTube, which is still available. Does SuperTube get updated? Is it essentially the same app as YouTube Pro?

Basically, I just want to know if I should throw down the $1.29 for SuperTube, or use SuperTube Lite. What's the difference between the Lite and paid version?

ymc932

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Oh my god! This will be another paid app that will not be reinstalled should i reset my phone. With more & more patent disputes going on in the world, MS have to rethink of the wp7's strategy of not allowing legitimate app buyers to store the purchased app for reinstall purpose. Competitors are hitting MS where it hurts knowing the weakness of the WP 7 platform.

Sent from my LG-E900 using Board Express

Markyyy

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
i recently read that it had been pulled because it uses the word 'YouTube' in its name, which is copyrighted. EDIT: That poster above actually posted the link to the aeticle I read. It suggests the app will return to the marketplace with a modified name.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I hope all this gets sorted out. To be honest, I don't have that big of a problem with google getting a bit strict when people use the service name in their app title, or even make a non-authorized app that provides the service.
For one, it insinuates a tie with the service that might not be there. For example, anyone could make an app with the youtube name in it, regardless of quality, but the general consumer would naturally link it with youtube.
Second, and I'm not sure how this works, but it seems that app makers who focus on youtube, or a similar service, would get far more downloads/purchases than an app not tied to a big-name service. And since they do get that attention, does the app maker have to pay a fee to google, or whoever, for using that name?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
If it's about using YouTube APIs on a 3rd party app, then it's damn funny because Google was complaining about Microsoft locking other browsers out of Windows RT tablets.

Mozilla, Google Irked by IE-Only Windows RT | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

The funny thing is, Google/Mozilla can still make a metro browser for Windows RT. The only restriction is that they can't make a desktop (i.e. classic) version of their browser. Only IE will have class desktop access but Google/Mozilla can make metro browsers all day long.

deansmilk

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Ok,I downloaded and installed Supertube. The icon still says YouTube instead of Supertube. Would that not still go against the purpose of changing to Supertube?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre